Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYC / Calgary car rental headaches

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Question YYC / Calgary car rental headaches

So first travel plans for about 2.5 years. Visiting family in Calgary in July for a month. Need to hire a car (with two toddlers, so need two car seats). We get in late (around 11PM) and am struggling to find any options. Seems most car rental places at the airport are closed and getting offsite near where we are staying (North West Calgary) doesn't seem an option.

I've searched around but without any luck.

Am I missing something or am not searching correctly?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old May 3, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
If the places that are open late are significantly more expensive than the ones closing early, what I would do is get a hotel near the airport for the first night, many have free shuttles and regularly cost $100 or less per night. Take shuttle back to YYC and pick up the car in the morning.

Or are the car seats an issue?
yyzflyer, theworld and trooper like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
If the places that are open late are significantly more expensive than the ones closing early, what I would do is get a hotel near the airport for the first night, many have free shuttles and regularly cost $100 or less per night. Take shuttle back to YYC and pick up the car in the morning.

Or are the car seats an issue?

Or just pay the ripoff high rate for one day then switch it out the day after you arrive.
theworld and shuuy like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:01 am

I would strongly suggest calling directly, often "closing times" at airport are subjective to flights still arriving. Even the website SAYS closed, there may be someone there to meet the flight if cars have been prebooked. This is definitely true for northern BC/Alberta, even in the Before Times.
theworld likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I would strongly suggest calling directly, often "closing times" at airport are subjective to flights still arriving. Even the website SAYS closed, there may be someone there to meet the flight if cars have been prebooked. This is definitely true for northern BC/Alberta, even in the Before Times.
Thanks for that, will be sure to give them a call.

Prices also are so out of whack!!!
Old May 7, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by theworld
Thanks for that, will be sure to give them a call.

Prices also are so out of whack!!!
Indeed they are. One suggestion, having recently booked a car for a summer long weekend trip to Calgary. The rental prices at YYC were astronomical, but were about half the price at nearby off-site locations. I figure an uber to and from the rental place is well worth the headache to save several hundred dollars. That might not work with your late arrival, but even an airport hotel + taxis could work out to be a cheaper option.
bambinomartino and trooper like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:50 am

Looking at Costco Travel, rental car locations at YYC are open until Midnight (Alamo, Budget, Enterprise) with Avis being open until 1AM. Is it possible that they are just all out of rentals?
Old May 14, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
My suggestion:

* Stay the night at the airport hotel (or hire a taxi with two car seats to get you to your house)
* Take an Uber / ride with parents to the off-site car agency (I've had good success with Avis at North Hill, or Hertz downtown). if you need discount codes for either drop me a PM.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Try using Turo. Set the pickup for the Delta Hotel, as they can't operate on airport grounds.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Just to update.

Got a full size SUV via autoslash with National.

Total was CAD1900 with two car seats and additional driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.