Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ International Arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by izikk
I think you'll probably be fine, as long as there aren't any unforeseen delays.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there will be too many flights arriving at 5am. Customs clearance into Canada should be quick. If flying J inbound, you should have priority bags which will hopefully get you your bags sooner. If all that can be taken care of in an hour, you should be able to get checked in 2 hours before your departure flight to IAH. Flying in J should get you checked in quicker and into the priority security lane. With GE, US preclearance should go by quickly too.
Does access to the GE kiosks still require you have the Global Entry card?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Utskicat
also bring a printed copy of UA ticket to SCL checkin and see if AC will through check the bag for you.
Some recent reports on this thread suggest that might not be possible anymore.

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

OP, please report back if you try it, though to be honest since your ultimate same-day destination is the same country you originated from, the check-in agent might be really confused by your customs situation with the bag. maybe not

Originally Posted by cheltzel
not in my experience as of a few weeks ago

"access" is just which queue you decide to go in, the Global Entry/NEXUS queue or the "all passports" queue which later divides into US Passports, etc. yada yada yada

no in-person check for the card itself except maybe if a CBP officer wants to ask you some questions, in which case your passport should be sufficient to prove GE status
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by asovse1

not in my experience as of a few weeks ago

"access" is just which queue you decide to go in, the Global Entry/NEXUS queue or the "all passports" queue which later divides into US Passports, etc. yada yada yada

no in-person check for the card itself except maybe if a CBP officer wants to ask you some questions, in which case your passport should be sufficient to prove GE status
The last time I went through the preclearance at YYZ there were what I believed to be CBSA staff asking for your GE card. It was never CBP. But this was before the pandemic so it could have changed.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
you don’t need the card anymore anywhere. It’s tied to your passport. I passed through multiple times a month YYZ. There’s not really even place to use your card. You’re just gonna walk into the Nexus line, walk up to a global entry kiosk and insert your passport.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat
you don’t need the card anymore anywhere. It’s tied to your passport. I passed through multiple times a month YYZ. There’s not really even place to use your card. You’re just gonna walk into the Nexus line, walk up to a global entry kiosk and insert your passport.

it's facial recognition now at Pearson, you don't even need to touch your passport for your entire transborder trip

you take a picture at the kiosk, it tries to verify based on the picture you have on file, and a CBP officer with a tablet checks that the picture you just took is of your real human face. then waved through
cavitron likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The last time I went through the preclearance at YYZ there were what I believed to be CBSA staff asking for your GE card. It was never CBP. But this was before the pandemic so it could have changed.
It’s CATSA that asks for a TT membership card for the special security line.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:52 am

Uncertainty of overnight connection - YYZ

I have a flight in the fall going DCA-YYZ-YVR-NRT on AC that I've taken many years before but not with an overnight layover that I can recall. When I flew DCA-YYZ-YVR as a daytime last fall my bags were checked through to YVR, no muss no fuss. What worries me is the overnight layover; do I need to collect my baggage, go out to arrivals and then recheck in the morning? AC says US to INTL destination (I assume it means out of YYZ as an intl, like YYZ-NRT) no bag recheck required, nor for US to DOM.
Ref: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ort/us-ca.html

TLDR: Arrival in YYZ round 2200, 0615 flight to YVR next morning, do I need to collect and recheck luggage in the morning at YYZ?
Single PNR & ticket, just a long overnight layover

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by copperred; Feb 7, 2023 at 9:02 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
it's facial recognition now at Pearson, you don't even need to touch your passport for your entire transborder trip

you take a picture at the kiosk, it tries to verify based on the picture you have on file, and a CBP officer with a tablet checks that the picture you just took is of your real human face. then waved through
This is exactly how it works. A bit creepy..but amazingly fast! I wish reentry into Canada was this simple, although the new fast Nexus lanes are a big improvement over the facial scanners.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by cavitron
This is exactly how it works. A bit creepy..but amazingly fast! I wish reentry into Canada was this simple, although the new fast Nexus lanes are a big improvement over the facial scanners.
Maybe 6 out of 10 of my last Canada re-entries have had really quick NEXUS experiences

1) Get to kiosk
2) Choose English/French
2a) Work through the topical questions of the day, which don't exist for most of the year
3) Tap your card
4) Take another picture
5) Take printout to CBSA officer, and 6/10 of my last visits they've just waved me through, no conversation. A few of them I've had to verbally declare my goods (as is my TTP obligation) and they seemed annoyed that I didn't "get" their instruction to just keep moving along

The last few times I've been trying to keep this quick streak going by tapping my card like a madman at Step 3 which doesn't do anything because you have to do Step 2 first!!

Anyway, it's not as high tech as Global Entry, but I'm glad it's quick enough to not complain about. Note that I've only experienced this flow at YYZ and YVR ITD OSS. YVR main, YYC main, and YEG main still seem to have a beefier NEXUS flow
cavitron likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: Silver on UA and Hilton, IHG Platinum
In a slight modification of FufuBobo's question from October, I'm looking at a YYZ connection to YQB, but I will be inbound on UA rather than AC and then continuing on with AC. The potential flight routing on UA's website is giving me just over 2 hrs in YYZ, which seems a little tight to clear CBSA, get my bags, drop them again, and then clear CATSA. However, I am also a cautious person.

I don't have NEXUS, but am willing to pay extra to be at the front of the plane/go through priority lines if that's necessary. A FC upgrade on UA is usually far cheaper than the hassle of missing my connection.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by businesscasual
In a slight modification of FufuBobo's question from October, I'm looking at a YYZ connection to YQB, but I will be inbound on UA rather than AC and then continuing on with AC. The potential flight routing on UA's website is giving me just over 2 hrs in YYZ, which seems a little tight to clear CBSA, get my bags, drop them again, and then clear CATSA. However, I am also a cautious person.

I don't have NEXUS, but am willing to pay extra to be at the front of the plane/go through priority lines if that's necessary. A FC upgrade on UA is usually far cheaper than the hassle of missing my connection.
A T1 to T1 connection, 2 hours should be totally fine. I haven't been over to T1 recently but arrive monthly at T3 and there have been no lines at all lately. Security is long in the morning but generally okay rest of the day and light in evening. Only thing to be aware of would be next week as its March school break in Ontario and there will be lots of Sun destination leisure travel.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE
I agree with the above. I've been through T1 a lot lately and, outside of early morning hours, it has been moving really well. So provided your inbound flight is roughly on time, you should be great. Those issues from the summer seem to have been well and truly resolved.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: Silver on UA and Hilton, IHG Platinum
Thank you so much to both of you! I appreciate the answers!
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
it's facial recognition now at Pearson
Optional or required?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Apologies if this is a dupe from my post in the YVR thread, but I'm considering a 95min international to domestic connection to YVR (inbound from Europe) on Christmas Eve. All AC metal, flying in J, no checked bags/carry-on only, have US passport (but unfortunately won't have NEXUS in time).

Is this reasonable, or should I take a slightly later flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.