AMEX line REOPENED at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Air Canada Elite 75k, National Emerald Executive Elite, Hertz PC

Both the AMEX line and the NEXUS lines at security were suspended at YYZ (Toronto) until further notice as of August 5, 2021 in order to prevent the spread of covid19.

Thankfully business class passengers are not at risk for getting covid19 and can still use the priority lane.

Standing in the packed, long, snaking, security line with all the other passengers is much safer for NEXUS and AMEX cardholders than using the priority line. And again, business class passengers are somehow still able to use this line without any covid19 risk.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Are you sure about Amex?

If it is attached to your AP, have you tried to scan it?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is this for all departure zones or just domestic?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was just trying to Google this info, but don't see anything. But my dad, who was thinking of flying YYZ-California next week, just mentioned the same thing after hearing from a couple of others who traveled to the US in the last few days - long lines and Nexus line being closed down. Mostly because of this, he's probably not going to go, or if he does, may drive to BUF and go from there (he's not the kind of guy that normally considers this).

I'm interested in more info. too. The line was open, right? Given the border now open to Americans will likely result in more people going both directions, it's a curious time for this closure to happen. Am curious to hear more about this, and if this is expected to continue for a long time, or is really just temporary.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I was just trying to Google this info, but don't see anything. But my dad, who was thinking of flying YYZ-California next week, just mentioned the same thing after hearing from a couple of others who traveled to the US in the last few days - long lines and Nexus line being closed down. Mostly because of this, he's probably not going to go, or if he does, may drive to BUF and go from there (he's not the kind of guy that normally considers this).

I'm interested in more info. too. The line was open, right? Given the border now open to Americans will likely result in more people going both directions, it's a curious time for this closure to happen. Am curious to hear more about this, and if this is expected to continue for a long time, or is really just temporary.
Remembering what I know about YYZ management from my prior dealings with them years back, I would chalk this decision up to nothing more than pure, absolute stupidity and incompetence, with a splash of "more people are coming so let's screw with them."
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Good luck driving to Buffalo airport unless your dad has US citizenship or status.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 3:37 pm

When I was going through at the end of July Nexus was already suspended. There’s was also no priority line open at the time. Luckily it still only took a few minutes, but slightly annoying when you should be eligible for both the Nexus and priority lines!
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:24 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
The security was long suspended since early 2020, time saving doesn't really matter since the traffic volume is so low, even a week ago.

One could always check wait time on https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/air...tional-airport, which has been less than 5 mins evey time I checked.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA - 3.5+ million miles - Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by TheEmirate
Both the AMEX line and the NEXUS lines at security were suspended at YYZ (Toronto) until further notice as of August 5, 2021 in order to prevent the spread of covid19..
I flew AA from YYZ (terminal 3) to DFW on aug 13. Departure time 5pm. I can confirm that NEXUS entry to security was closed and just regular entrance to security was open. It was the regular process (shoes off, laptops out) to go through security. On positive note, the place was empty and was through in a few minutes! More screening staff than passengers. This may be due to terminal 3 and low volume of flying from airlines who use this terminal (AA, Delta, Westjet). I suspect this will change as more flights are added to US. And I have heard terminal 1 (T1) is much busier, so hopefully someone can share their T1 experience.

Once past security, NEXUS kiosks are operating to go through US customs. But I used main line (no one in line) and not NEXUS. The place was empty and I had my choice of 4 different custom officers to use.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:10 pm

I frequently travel to USA through both T1 and T3 at YYZ. T1 is always much busier. T3 is always empty since covid started as it’s only DL/AA and WS. The Nexus shortcut lines through security that bypassed laptops out and shoes off were eliminated with covid.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Remembering what I know about YYZ management from my prior dealings with them years back, I would chalk this decision up to nothing more than pure, absolute stupidity and incompetence, with a splash of "more people are coming so let's screw with them."
Who determines what lines are open though? Wouldn't CATSA do that, or at least CATSA in conjunction with GTAA?

Is it just YYZ where the priority/Nexus lines are closed? What about YYZ domestic/International? What about other airports (YVR/YYC/YUL)? You'd think they could at least enable some sort of pass system, kind of like 'Pre-Check lite' in the US, where you carry a card showing you don't have to take your laptop out/shoes off, etc.

And yes, it seems silly to me, given that there are likely more travelers now to go to the US then at any time since March 2020, and you'd think that having separate lines would give everyone more space. I do kind of wonder if this could be a worker shortage issue?

Originally Posted by jix
The security was long suspended since early 2020, time saving doesn't really matter since the traffic volume is so low, even a week ago.

One could always check wait time on https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/air...tional-airport, which has been less than 5 mins evey time I checked.
Is volume really that low? In much of 2020, especially spring, for sure. Not sure Pearson's numbers these days, but at least in the US, TSA was clearing >2 million travelers again on many days (in fact, 20 days in the last month, with most others clearing at least 1.8 mil or more - CATSA shows lots more people through checkpoints in the last couple of weeks - it had its best day in a long time yesterday, at almost 85K at the largest 8 airports). Summer travel surge, and sure, numbers will probably quiet down again after Labor Day, and those numbers don't break down airports, or for CATSA, how many are domestic/transborder/international. But I suspect we're not going to go back anywhere near pandemic lows (<200K in the US, and <5K at the largest 8 some days in Canada) again.

Also, while it may be <5 or 10 minutes most of the day, I suspect the morning rush flights (leaving at 9am or earlier) would see plenty higher wait times (I don't know if historical wait times are available...would be interesting to see). But seems between screening and customs, there are long delays. Anecdotal, but I've been checking YYZ-SFO AC delays, and most days for at least the last couple of weeks, the morning SFO flight has always been delayed, usually 2+ hours. Something clearly is not working.

On another note, CATSA showing this under the Trusted Traveller section of the site:

If Trusted Traveller screening lines are not available, you will receive front-of-the-line service in the queue but must follow regular divesting and screening procedures when using standard screening lines.
Does this at least not happen anymore? Shouldn't these agencies have updated their sites with relatively current info. by now?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:36 am

Question YYZ-Amex Priority Security Line

Does anyone know if they have reopened the Amex Priority Security Line at Pearson airport? Was closed last time I was there and was put in a holding area based upon my flight time even though I got there 3 hrs prior to flight time. Thx
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by havetimewilltravel
Does anyone know if they have reopened the Amex Priority Security Line at Pearson airport? Was closed last time I was there and was put in a holding area based upon my flight time even though I got there 3 hrs prior to flight time. Thx
which terminal? And where are you going?

Priority line was open at T1 transborder when I was through in mid-Oct. the trick is to get the one-time use card to get through, there is an Amex table you have to go to which is across from check in area 2 (by domestic). Especially if you are flying TB, I’d go there first, since you only need to show your card and not BP, if you don’t want to have walk back and forth from US check in to domestic to US security.

maybe they have a table closer to TB priority now - woman at the table when I was there said they wanted to get back closer to it, but GTAA wouldn’t let them.

also, I thought I saw a report that Nexus entrance/ security line is open now, but can’t confirm myself - it definitely wasnt when I was there.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:28 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Can confirm nexus is open for transborder at T1. Took 30 min from train to lounge this morning, and that included my camera being sent to security secondary.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Can confirm nexus is open for transborder at T1. Took 30 min from train to lounge this morning, and that included my camera being sent to security secondary.
what day/time was this?

was it the same as the pre-civic procedure (ie, shows stay on but laptops out, etc?). Was it likely faster than priority line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.