Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying US to Canada then Domestic Connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, WestJet Rewards,

I saw this issue raised in the Aeroplan forum (because I'm new, I can't post links, but search the phrase "changing domestic connection flight after int'l arrival?"), but I think it's broader than that, and the answer wasn't entirely clear.

Basically, Air Canada is still selling tickets from international destinations to Canada, with a domestic connection after (for example, SFO-YUL-YYZ). My question is, what is going on with the domestic portion? I imagine that at immigration at your arrival point (YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL) you'd have to describe your quarantine plan. But, according to the Air Canada site, you'd then proceed to the domestic terminal and fly to your final Canadian destination. (The "airport information" pages on the Air Canada site for arriving from the US, make no mention of quarantine hotels). Presumably your bags would be checked through too.

Would you be "intercepted" while walking to the domestic terminal? What about your luggage? And how could there be any follow up, once you arrived at your final (Canadian) destination?

Either Air Canada has not updated its booking system, after all these weeks of the quarantine policy; or this is a massive flaw in the government's quarantine plan (which is equally, if not more, plausible; and which, for the record, I think is just a political stunt).
Old May 7, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
You do your 3 days hotel quarantine at your port of entry. After -ve result, you fly to your destination and finish the rest of the 14 days there.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
1) You book int'l -> YYZ/YVR/YUL/YYC -> domestic destination
2) Regardless of what you book, you have to partake in the moronic "mandatory hotel quarantine program" at the point of entry
3) In most cases AC will automatically rebook your domestic connection flight for three days later, otherwise you can do so by calling AC
4) If your negative test result comes back early, you can continue your journey after 1/2 days vs. staying the full three nights
5) If you choose to fly home earlier, you can again contact AC to be rebooked on an earlier flight which they will do free of charge as long as there is availability
Old May 9, 2021, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Okar76
Either Air Canada has not updated its booking system, after all these weeks of the quarantine policy; or this is a massive flaw in the government's quarantine plan (which is equally, if not more, plausible; and which, for the record, I think is just a political stunt).
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/more-details

If you are flying into Canada from an international destination and are connecting through one of the following airports to another Canadian destination, you must quarantine at your point of entry:
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Montréal-Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
That means you will need to rebook your connecting flight for three days after your original arrival date in Canada so you can await your COVID-19 test results.

To rebook your flight free of charge, make sure to contact your original booking source:Terms and conditions
  • Tickets must be issued on or before May 21, 2021
  • Travel dates must be between February 22, 2021 and May 21, 2021
BTW the reason it gives 21 May, 2021 is Canada currently has travel restrictions in place for travellers of all countries including the U.S. until May 21, 2021. However, these restrictions are expected to be extended beyond that date.

Last edited by tcook052; May 9, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.