Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccine Passports for Canada?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A Canadian vaccine certificate faces science, privacy hurdles: officials

The Canadian government is talking to international partners about the development of COVID-19 vaccination certificate systems that might one day help facilitate travel across international borders but bureaucrats in Ottawa, as well as some politicians, wonder if such a system is the best way to proceed.
LETTERBOY and Thomas Simmen like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
A Canadian vaccine certificate faces science, privacy hurdles: officials

The Canadian government is talking to international partners about the development of COVID-19 vaccination certificate systems that might one day help facilitate travel across international borders but bureaucrats in Ottawa, as well as some politicians, wonder if such a system is the best way to proceed.
To be honest, what Canada thinks is irrelevant if more important countries develop and mandate the same. If I have learned anything from the pandemic, Canada is a small, non valuable, fish in a very large ocean.
JNelson113, YYZ1313 and CRC99 like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Topcare
To be honest, what Canada thinks is irrelevant if more important countries develop and mandate the same. If I have learned anything from the pandemic, Canada is a small, non valuable, fish in a very large ocean.
Haha, didn't sound like a compliment to me (but hope to visit soon).
Old May 5, 2021, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Topcare
Although details are scant, reports are that Canada is working with G7 & the broader G20 group of countries on a standardized vaccination certification program so that international involvement would seem to counter your contention. Canada may not be a global leader I don't believe it's viewed as an insignificant also-ran either.
kalderlake and Thomas Simmen like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:33 pm

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/...ned-for-may-25

[Yukon] ..... travel restrictions will be lifted for fully-vaccinated people on May 25.Some of the details are still being worked out, but the Yukon government will be removing the need for the 14-day self-isolation for Yukon residents if they travel outside the territory if they can document they have had both vaccine shots two weeks before they leave.

That also applies to out-of-territory travelers who can document their vaccination status to the government’s satisfaction.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by tcook052
Although details are scant, reports are that Canada is working with G7 & the broader G20 group of countries on a standardized vaccination certification program so that international involvement would seem to counter your contention. Canada may not be a global leader I don't believe it's viewed as an insignificant also-ran either.
Insignificant countries wouldn't be asked to the table in the first place.

A vaccine passport agreed upon by all nations carries with it many benefits for travellers. It will be a recognized means to meet the standards of other nations who require proof of immunization. It will also hopefully allow returning Canadians to avoid the current process of multiples tests and enforced hotel stays. My brother and sister-in-law are just finishing up the quarantine process even though they were both fully vaccinated in the U.S. A vaccine passport might have saved them money and inconvenience.
WildcatYXU likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by vanillabean
“Brenda McPhail , director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association's privacy, technology & surveillance project, … said that people who are exempt from vaccination because of health conditions may be expected to share additional information to prove to a foreign government that their condition is genuine, putting their personal data at risk.”

I’m somewhat unsettled on this issue, because why would you want to put the health of both yourself and others at risk, but not the data of whether you’re vaccinated?
I don't give a hoot about complaints about being discriminatory for a country to for example require anybody who does not have a vaccine passport to isolate for 14 days while exempting those who have the passport. Our government needs to facilitate by providing acceptable evidence to other countries for those coming and going.

If you either can't get the vaccine or choose not to, sucks to be you in terms of travel - you will face increased barriers... It is pretty ridiculous to require everybody to quarantine in order to ensure we don't "discriminate" against those who are remain at elevated risk.

Last edited by tcook052; May 7, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
As for the format of the "passport" - one would hope that at least the basic paper vaccination card, with the appropriate certificates and stamps would be sufficient. This is not such a high priority for people to forge and even if they do - who really cares? we are talking about a low percentage on a low risk. I got shot number 1 yesterday in Switzerland and they stamped by WHO/GoC/PHAC (Canadian) Yellow fever card and inserted the original Vaccine sticker from the manufacturer. I would expect that with this, regardless of any special digital form available, it would be acceptable. One more line is ready for sticker number 2 - - and that should be good to go - - I will also have digital at some point (EU format I expect) but this old-school paper document should continue to be ok. What next . .paper passports are also not ok?

It is totally acceptable to allow vaccinated travelers different rules than unvaccinated - - and I agree with @The Lev above!!!!
pilot007 and MarcDavidMiller like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
As for the format of the "passport" - one would hope that at least the basic paper vaccination card, with the appropriate certificates and stamps would be sufficient. This is not such a high priority for people to forge and even if they do - who really cares? we are talking about a low percentage on a low risk. I got shot number 1 yesterday in Switzerland and they stamped by WHO/GoC/PHAC (Canadian) Yellow fever card and inserted the original Vaccine sticker from the manufacturer. I would expect that with this, regardless of any special digital form available, it would be acceptable. One more line is ready for sticker number 2 - - and that should be good to go - - I will also have digital at some point (EU format I expect) but this old-school paper document should continue to be ok. What next . .paper passports are also not ok?

It is totally acceptable to allow vaccinated travelers different rules than unvaccinated - - and I agree with @The Lev above!!!!
You won't get the vaccine sticker everywhere. I received the first dose today at the USVI and the CDC card they gave me is handwritten and contains only the vaccine's name and lot number.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
You won't get the vaccine sticker everywhere. I received the first dose today at the USVI and the CDC card they gave me is handwritten and contains only the vaccine's name and lot number.
I think that is fine too - my Yellow fever vaccine just says the name of it (Sanofi) and the lot number then a PHAC stamp and signature of the nurse. Remember - we are not talking about high risk fraud - - these are basic simple vaccines that really people are not systematically going to forge . . . and even if a few people do - who really cares!!?
Old May 8, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've now received both doses in Ontario and received paper and electronic certificates from the Ministry of Health. They're very detailed (health card number, lot number, which arm was poked, name of the nurse, place of vaccination, etc.) so hopefully those will be good enough to be accepted abroad.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:13 am

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/q...des-next-week/

Quebec announced that their electronic proof of vaccination will launch starting May 13th. They say it is not a vaccine passport, but they will speak soon about the use of this proof.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I've now received both doses in Ontario and received paper and electronic certificates from the Ministry of Health. They're very detailed (health card number, lot number, which arm was poked, name of the nurse, place of vaccination, etc.) so hopefully those will be good enough to be accepted abroad.
Does the paper form have a form number?
Old May 8, 2021, 7:07 am

I found that Ontario has an immunization database called ICON. Theres a different port for each region. I added our out of country Covid vaccine records. We'll see what happens.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CRC99
Does the paper form have a form number?
I don't see anything for that. But I think it's detailed enough that it's a good proof wherever I might need it until our federal government setups something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.