Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vaccine Passports for Canada?

Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus

Hearing lots about Canada and other countries adopting Vaccine Passports. The Federal government and others are downplaying it over privacy and discrimination concerns. I feel that those concerns are not valid for international travel. IATA and others are developing systems but the data will have to come from the Canadian government. The implementation is even more complicated as the provinces are doing the vaccine programs and data collection.
what do other international travels think?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is only worth the effort if it has a fairly universal benefit to the holder.

Asking whether it is a worthwhile effort begs the question of what one gets and how universal is it, e.g., useful to enter or travel within other countries, skip quarantine?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:20 pm

Can someone explain how a vaccine passport discriminates?
folkart and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:02 pm

Most countries accept vaccinations within manufacturers guidelines. Canada has made unproven and untested changes to the timing between doses. I think Canada is out of luck for anyone accepting our passport if we have one.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CRC99

If you need one to travel, but are unable to receive the vaccine due to the supply chain, or chronic health concerns.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
If you need one to travel, but are unable to receive the vaccine due to the supply chain, or chronic health concerns.
Most of the concern over discrimination is about needing it for domestic events such as large sort events, movie theatres etc. Some countries are talking about using them this way.
​​​​​​
Bogwoppit and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by CRC99
Supposedly by shutting those out who can not get the vaccine due to say 1) medical reasons, 2) lack of access to vaccine, 3) affordability, 4) other such as privacy and religion. Then again, as with wearing a mask, the virus doesn’t discriminate.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't hold my breath for one valid for international travel. Too many obstacles to overcome and pandemic would likely be under control/over by the time vaccine passports are available/accepted internationally.
rankourabu and tentseller like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:15 pm

Going to get vaccinated soon.

Years ago, I got vaccinated for yellow fever and received one of those paper yellow cards that are internationally recognized for vaccination. Would that be worthwhile to bring or is it too outdated? I don't know anyone that has the cards and have gotten vaccinated yet, but I did find on Twitter a MP that brought it - in case if you are not sure what I am talking about.

MarcDavidMiller likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the certificate takes you over your baggage allowance, it is worthwhile including in the various bits of documentation one might travel with.

But, Canada does not have a vaccination waiver or opt-out and ti will therefore not change your entry process or requirements nor is it likely to do so anytime soon. Whether there are individual private entities which make life easier or which might do so at some point is a complete unknown.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Going to get vaccinated soon.

Years ago, I got vaccinated for yellow fever and received one of those paper yellow cards that are internationally recognized for vaccination. Would that be worthwhile to bring or is it too outdated? I don't know anyone that has the cards and have gotten vaccinated yet, but I did find on Twitter a MP that brought it - in case if you are not sure what I am talking about.

https://twitter.com/KentThornhillMP/...300036/photo/3
What a clown. Honestly, does he think getting his note on a yellow yellow fever piece of paper means squat. If ever a block chain application. I've always laughed at my own yellow fever vaccine cert that some 10 year old could replicate in their classroom.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
After deleting a few posts let's not drag in media speculation at what other countries may or may not be doing in the months ahead bur rather focus on the thread topic which is the possibility of vaccine passports for Canadians.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:53 pm

Given that health is a provincial responsibility, is a national vax passport even possible/feasible?

I'm wondering if either a provincial printed document issued at point of vaccination, or a screen-shot/live shot of one's online provincial vaccination record will do.

BTW: Is it the same for every province? Is there an online site showing vax records?
LETTERBOY and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Health Minister Patty Hajdu says her government embraces the concept of "vaccine passports" and will come up with a form of certification to allow vaccinated Canadians to travel internationally again.

"Canadians are going to want to travel and just like there have been changes in other kinds of travel requirements over the years as a result of a number of events, Canadians need to be prepared to be able to travel internationally. And we'll make sure that they are," Hajdu told CBC Radio's The House in an interview airing today.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...avel-1.6009840

I think the passport will be integrated with the ArriveCAN app and fully vaccinated people will be exempt from quarantine or will see it reduced.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
“Brenda McPhail , director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association's privacy, technology & surveillance project, … said that people who are exempt from vaccination because of health conditions may be expected to share additional information to prove to a foreign government that their condition is genuine, putting their personal data at risk.”

I’m somewhat unsettled on this issue, because why would you want to put the health of both yourself and others at risk, but not the data of whether you’re vaccinated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.