Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Can anyone confirm that a PCR test done in Canada (for entry into US) can be used to satisfy negative COVID test for returning back to Canada?

I'm looking to day a same day return down to the US.
Yes for air. No for land entry.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Yes for air. No for land entry.
Great thanks.

I saw that for land entry, it specifically says you need a test from the US, but not for air travel. Hence why I thought I'd ask.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:19 am

Great thanks.

I saw that for land entry, it specifically says you need a test from the US, but not for air travel. Hence why I thought I'd ask.
Also worth noting the land border requirement will be changing in the near future to allow Canadian issued PCR tests to be accepted for short/day trips - think it goes into effect on August 5 along with the other changes allowing fully vaccinated Americans to enter but not 100% sure on that​.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:38 am

Re LabQ in NYC - my wife's results came in around 26 hours and mine came in around 29 hours after test time.

So not quite 24 hours, but can't beat the price!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
For proof of negative test (pre-arrival), do I need to print out the results or can I show the PDF copy on my phone?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jetplane86
For proof of negative test (pre-arrival), do I need to print out the results or can I show the PDF copy on my phone?
You can probably show it on your phone but what if your battery dies or you lose your phone or whatever? If you are flying you will likely need to show it to the airline and then again at Customs. Personally I would bring a printout.
EmailKid and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by CorSter
Also worth noting the land border requirement will be changing in the near future to allow Canadian issued PCR tests to be accepted for short/day trips - think it goes into effect on August 5 along with the other changes allowing fully vaccinated Americans to enter but not 100% sure on that​.
Interesting that this policy has changed but nothing changes for Americans driving to Canada after 8/5 as no covid test is required for them to drive back to USA. And Canadians still cannot drive to USA for the foreseeable future. This change would only be helpful for Canadians flying to USA and then driving home within 72 hours of the Canadian covid test.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 27, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:45 pm

Anyone have any issues asking taxi or uber to go through the Walgreens or cvs drive thru? Did you ask the uber driver when the uber arrived or is there a way to let them know before you request the car?

​​​​​​Also how long did the test take during drive thru and how long did the test results take?

Last edited by J898; Jul 27, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE
i used my phone twice no problems
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A reminder seems necessary for a few posters that this is not the OMNI P/R forum and political commentary is quite off topic to let's please stick to the thread topic and providing real-world answers to the many travel questions we all have and save the politics for other threads in other forums.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Nexus, VIA Rail Premier
Originally Posted by J898
Anyone have any issues asking taxi or uber to go through the Walgreens or cvs drive thru? Did you ask the uber driver when the uber arrived or is there a way to let them know before you request the car?

​​​​​​Also how long did the test take during drive thru and how long did the test results take?
Funny enough I had this exact same situations flying out of TPA a few weeks back. I tried to get a drive-through test at a local Walgreens. Unfortunately I was on foot, so they refused to do the test without having a vehicle. I decided to try again at CVS and I explained the situation to the Uber driver, who had no problem with it. All in all the actual test itself took about five minutes max because I had already made the reservation online.

You should be okay. It doesn’t help to tip your driver generously!

I did my test Wednesday at 3:30 PM and the results came back around 8:30 the following evening!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Can anyone confirm that a PCR test done in Canada (for entry into US) can be used to satisfy negative COVID test for returning back to Canada?

I'm looking to day a same day return down to the US.
The above quote (post 599) and reply (post 601) is very helpful. I had spent time going through FT and did not find this question/reply before I flew down to LAX. I, too, read the distinction that entry to Canada via a land crossing must have a PCR done in US with no such distinction for entry via air. I had called AC res to confirm however they were not certain. I called the AC Medical Desk and they did not have an answer. The comment I found interesting from the Medical Desk was not many business people are travelling so this has not come up.

I also called CBSA information desk and they said I must have a PCR test in the US when returning the Canada even by air. When I asked if I was traveling from HKG-SFO-YVR and the test was taken within 72 hours of my SFO-YVR flight would I need to get a test in US, the answer was no. Made no sense to me.

In any event, before I boarded my flight from YVR-LAX I asked and they told me they just look at when the test was taken so for this reason I knew I could use my Canadian test for my return flight, which I successfully did.

Safe travels.

Cheers

Last edited by sing-along; Aug 2, 2021 at 10:35 am Reason: To add clarity the test PCR test taken in Canada was successfully used for my flight from LAX to YVR.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by sing-along
The above quote (post 599) and reply (post 601) is very helpful. I had spent time going through FT and did not find this question/reply before I flew down to LAX. I, too, read the distinction that entry to Canada via a land crossing must have a PCR done in US with no such distinction for entry via air. I had called AC res to confirm however they were not certain. I called the AC Medical Desk and they did not have an answer. The comment I found interesting from the Medical Desk was not many business people are travelling so this has not come up.

I also called CBSA information desk and they said I must have a PCR test in the US when returning the Canada even by air. When I asked if I was traveling from HKG-SFO-YVR and the test was taken within 72 hours of my SFO-YVR flight would I need to get a test in US, the answer was no. Made no sense to me.

In any event, before I boarded my flight from YVR-LAX I asked and they told me they just look at when the test was taken so for this reason I knew I could use my Canadian test for my return flight.

Safe travels.

Cheers
So, for sake of clarity, you successfully used your taken-in-Canada test to return to Canada within 72 hours?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
So, for sake of clarity, you successfully used your taken-in-Canada test to return to Canada within 72 hours?
Yes, the above statement is correct.

Cheers
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:21 am

In NYC, you can visit any NY H&H covid testing location for free pcr tests, I went 9:20am and had results 8pm same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.