Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid testing imminent

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
I started looking into this a bit more and there seems to be an AC LHR-YYC flight operating in Jan / Feb as well...
Unfortunately the AC flights from both LHR/FRA to YYC have not operated in many many months, and they keep getting cancelled for the upcoming month every 4 weeks or so. The AC schedule is not something you can rely on these days. I would only book flights that are actually operating now, not ones scheduled to re-start in a month or two.
airoli likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Unfortunately the AC flights from both LHR/FRA to YYC have not operated in many many months, and they keep getting cancelled for the upcoming month every 4 weeks or so. The AC schedule is not something you can rely on these days. I would only book flights that are actually operating now, not ones scheduled to re-start in a month or two.
This has been a farce to date. AC advertises many flights, people buy tickets in good faith, AC cancels many of these flights, and customers get an AC credit but not a refund. Any other business would get into big trouble for this.
supervillian and hoipolloi like this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I started looking into this a bit more and there seems to be an AC LHR-YYC flight operating in Jan / Feb as well...
May as well toss money in the trash - it will never fly and AC will keep your money
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
AC flights to YYC for January just cancelled . First flights are now Feb.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
I'm confirmed to come - - if the flight operates - - the first week of March. A couple of things which make this uncertain.

1.) Program has cap of 52,000 participants. Not sure how they came up with this - but perhaps they are just getting data on which to make a decision so they don't want any more.
2.) Flight schedule is uncertain and AC has not run YYC from Europe for a while. I think it's possibly because their flying crew have historically been based in Vancouver so it's more complicated to run these.
3.) Rules just might change . . . . .

Anyone have any thoughts on what Kenny will do if the 52,000 is reached? Or is it the federal gov that is deciding this?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Rapid COVID19 Tests Coming to Montreal Trudeau Airport Next Week

Rapid testing for COVID-19 is coming to YUL next week.

DM Aéroports de Montréal and Biron Health Group Inc. are launching a pilot project to test a new rapid screening process for COVID-19 on departures from YUL Montréal-Trudeau International Airport to destinations requiring a negative result medical certificate for admission to their territory. These antigenic tests will make it possible to perform certified and rapid tests within 15 minutes.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...utts-1.5839173

As of Thursday, the province said 14,382 travellers had taken tests.

About 1.4 per cent were positive with the initial swab. After the second test, the infection rate was 0.7 per cent.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:08 pm

The YYC preliminary update to 17 Dec. didn't change much but thought I'd share them

A 1% positive rate matches the amount recorded in the GTAA-McMaster study conducted earlier last Fall according to the interim report published here.

I mention these statistics to reinforce how low the positivity rate is for inbound int. arrivals and how rapid testing to me should be the way forward at Canadian airports.

EIA noted its monthly newsletter I received today that the Alberta government is supporting bringing the rapid testing pilot program to YEG "early in 2021".
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by tcook052
The YYC preliminary update to 17 Dec. didn't change much but thought I'd share them

A 1% positive rate matches the amount recorded in the GTAA-McMaster study conducted earlier last Fall according to the interim report published here.

I mention these statistics to reinforce how low the positivity rate is for inbound int. arrivals and how rapid testing to me should be the way forward at Canadian airports.

EIA noted its monthly newsletter I received today that the Alberta government is supporting bringing the rapid testing pilot program to YEG "early in 2021".
As I said in the other thread rather than doing their ridiculous $1000 reward for going on vacation against the fed's directives put that $1000/pax towards arrivals testing and a shorter but actually enforced quarantine. Other countries including some of those of the main originating pax in to Canada make arriving passengers pay for their quarantine in facilities. Why is this such a non-starter with this government? Once you land at Pearson for example you are sent on your way to wherever you have said you are staying with a few quarantine directions. Canada as usual is the joke of the world when it comes to anything like border controls
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:02 pm

Border Testing Pilot Program to Begin at Pearson International

The Ontario government is launching a new innovative, voluntary and free border testing pilot program at Toronto Pearson International Airport for eligible international travellers returning to Ontario to help quickly identify and stop the spread of COVID-19 in the province.

Details were provided today at Pearson airport by Premier Doug Ford, Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones.

"With over 60,000 international passengers coming into Pearson airport every week, we can't take any unnecessary risks," said Premier Ford. "That's why we're putting in place this new pilot program to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and respond to new threats like the recent strain of the virus we're seeing in an alarming number of countries without the same travel restrictions as the U.K. The test will be free for eligible travellers and I encourage everyone to take the test to protect yourselves and your loved ones."
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by tcook052

Border Testing Pilot Program to Begin at Pearson International

[i]The Ontario government is launching a new innovative, voluntary and free border testing pilot program at Toronto Pearson International Airport for eligible international travellers returning to Ontario to help quickly identify and stop the spread of COVID-19 in the province.
What...

So Ford has agreement from GTAA to enter the premises to give these tests?

And the purpose to replicate the PCR test is ???

WOW!!!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:52 pm

YEG finally getting its own rapid testing pilot program although can't see how much good it will do now that the airport has virtually no international flights.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/covid-19...port-1.5271682

EDMONTON -- A COVID-19 testing program that began in southern Alberta in November 2020 is expanding to Edmonton International Airport in February.

The tests could eliminate the 14-day quarantine period for international travellers and make Edmonton a safer and more convenient travel option, according to EIA.

"To be able to do that right at the airport upon travel and prove the negative test and test people asymptomatic is important," Steve Maybee with EIA told CTV News Edmonton. "It's all about health and safety."
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
And the purpose to replicate the PCR test is ???
One purpose would be to see if anything changed in the up to 85 hours in between when the person took their PCR test and when they land on Canadian soil.

If they are smart about it they do what AC/McMaster did in their earlier study and test on arrival and after 7 and 14 days.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:36 am

Rapid tests are very imprecise
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Looks like the Alberta pilot project has reached its conclusion:

The Alberta COVID-19 Border Testing Pilot Program is currently under review in light of new travel rules announced by the Government of Canada on January 29, 2020. More information about the pilot program will be shared soon.
Also based on statistics, we almost reached the pilot project max number:

Preliminary update (as of February 4, 2021)*
  • Non-exempt traveller participants: 47,604
Testing Results** (% of positive tests):
  • 1st test at port of entry – 1.44%
  • 2nd test – 0.74%
  • Total – 1.11%
https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 7, 2021 at 3:36 pm Reason: Off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.