Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Is it absolutely necessary to do the video chat with a nurse if we already know how to perform the self-swab test? My 10-day test is coming up soon and I refuse to wait hours for a live chat. I may be tempted to just swab myself and throw the package in a Purolator drop box.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Is it absolutely necessary to do the video chat with a nurse if we already know how to perform the self-swab test? My 10-day test is coming up soon and I refuse to wait hours for a live chat. I may be tempted to just swab myself and throw the package in a Purolator drop box.
It is a great question and one I had as well. The FAQ on the Switch Health makes it sound like you don't need to, even though the government material makes it sound as if you do.

Can I swab myself without having a telehealth appointment?

If you have access to a phone with internet or a computer with internet, Switch Health strongly recommends you swab yourself with the presence of a nurse through ASMO.

If you do not have access to a computer or to internet, please call 647-977-1030 to connect with a nurse.
Please report back if you do it.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:43 am

You can try but the video chat is not only for instruction. They also verify your identity and make you show them ID. Otherwise, how would they know you're the one who actually swabbed your nose?
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:43 am

This is my fourth quarantine since COVID began and I finally got my first check-in phone call. Yet, wouldn't you know it, it came on day 10 at the exact moment I was doing my final COVID test and had the swab jammed up my nose. So I didn't answer…
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
This is my fourth quarantine since COVID began and I finally got my first check-in phone call. Yet, wouldn't you know it, it came on day 10 at the exact moment I was doing my final COVID test and had the swab jammed up my nose. So I didn't answer…
I have done 6 quarantines some with zero calls and others with both automated and live calls from federal and provincial health. No visits. It is random.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I have wondered about not answering. Many reasons why one couldn’t get to the phone. What happened when you didn’t answer? Do they ring back?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I have wondered about not answering. Many reasons why one couldn’t get to the phone. What happened when you didn’t answer? Do they ring back?
The first time I quarantined, I didn’t answer once the entire 14 days. I listed my home (landline) number on my Arrive Can form as I never use my cell phone when I am home and have it set to not answer unknown callers because I get so many spam calls. I guess because I used the ArriveCan app, it somehow linked to my cell number. It wasn’t until I happened to look at my cell phone on about day 12 that I noticed about 20 missed calls, all from different numbers. Voicemails were all from them checking on my quarantine. No home visit that time around despite missing every single call. Too bad for them. I gave them my number and they chose to use a different one. Not my problem. The next time (and subsequent times) I deleted the app and just used the ArriveCan web site instead. Problem solved.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:01 pm

I've been wondering what happens if you can't get the day 10 test done, and how long potentially you would need to stay in quarantine.

According to the below, it's and extra 14 days. Has PHAC mentioned this to anyone? The instructions they provide make it sound like you're stuck indefinitely until you get the test done. Perhaps they're just trying to scare people to get the test done.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=40252&lang=en

(c) if the person does not receive the result for the COVID-19 molecular test referred to in subparagraph 1.4‍(1)‍(a)‍(ii) before the expiry of the 14-day period that begins on the day on which the person enters Canada, remain in quarantine in accordance with the instructions provided by a screening officer or quarantine officer until they receive the test result or for another 14-day period, whichever comes first;
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:51 am

Nothing so far.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Nothing so far.
Interesting ..... got a voice mail both times I didn't answer, telling my that another call from a similar number would call at later time (posted this before).

Finally, answered a call from a third number, again totally different from previous two, and talked to agent for about a couple of minutes since I really didn't want an in person visit (not that it would have really mattered).
Old Mar 19, 2021, 4:34 pm

Has anyone received no result or inconclusive result from the day 10 test and knows what happens next?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Please report back if you do it.
Being the good law abiding citizen that I am, I made a conscious effort to complete the test with the live nurse. I logged on as soon as it opened at 6am and I was #43 in the queue! After 45 minutes went by, I was almost ready to say "screw it", but the nurse suddenly appeared on my screen (although it said I was #15 in the queue)
The whole process was horrible. I have no idea how this company got hired (party donor, perhaps?) The nurse and I could see each other but if she heard me, I couldn't hear her and vice versa. Constant having to refresh the browser to take turns who got to hear who. Made sure she got a good view of my nostrils so she could confirm that I was swabbing them real good. Anyway, eventually got through the process and packaged everything. The Purolator pickup was scheduled but knowing they are crap even on a good day, I had the package dropped off at Staples just to be sure it went out on time. Later on I got a phone call from a Karen from the quarantine office wanting to know how I was getting my food, how I was getting fresh air, reminded me about the scary variants, and did I take the Day 10 test. She stated that if the test results don't show by Day 14, you have to remain in quarantine until the results are available. Uh sure, not happening (I'm fully vaccinated - pandemic's over as far as I'm concerned) but of course I said "oh yes, no problem". Better to placate these people so they don't send a goon to your house.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:40 am

Better to placate these people so they don't send a goon to your house.
I've answered all calls and still got goons sent to my home - twice!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by NikoPopp
I've answered all calls and still got goons sent to my home - twice!

In 6 quarantines from March to February no one ever came to check on me in person.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:11 am

Being the good law abiding citizen that I am, I made a conscious effort to complete the test with the live nurse. I logged on as soon as it opened at 6am and I was #43 in the queue! After 45 minutes went by, I was almost ready to say "screw it", but the nurse suddenly appeared on my screen (although it said I was #15 in the queue)
The whole process was horrible. I have no idea how this company got hired (party donor, perhaps?) The nurse and I could see each other but if she heard me, I couldn't hear her and vice versa. Constant having to refresh the browser to take turns who got to hear who. Made sure she got a good view of my nostrils so she could confirm that I was swabbing them real good. Anyway, eventually got through the process and packaged everything. The Purolator pickup was scheduled but knowing they are crap even on a good day, I had the package dropped off at Staples just to be sure it went out on time. Later on I got a phone call from a Karen from the quarantine office wanting to know how I was getting my food, how I was getting fresh air, reminded me about the scary variants, and did I take the Day 10 test. She stated that if the test results don't show by Day 14, you have to remain in quarantine until the results are available. Uh sure, not happening (I'm fully vaccinated - pandemic's over as far as I'm concerned) but of course I said "oh yes, no problem". Better to placate these people so they don't send a goon to your house.
So you had no problem dropping off the package at Staples? I thought there was some kind of "biological hazard" label on the envelope that required special handling. If not, perhaps dropping off in a drop box would work as well.

When they said you had to quarantine until results are available, did they give you any maximum timeline? As I posted earlier, it's supposed to be 28 days in total, but PHAC doesn't mention it anywhere (I'm kind of paranoid about ending up in some kind of indefinite quarantine scenario when I travel soon.). Not clear yet if PHAC have a way to find out if you have received a negative test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.