Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ transit question on AC

YYZ transit question on AC

Old Nov 15, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I believe you would only have to formally enter Canada at T3 not T1.
Is there a transfer desk for US connections airside at T1?
Old Nov 16, 22, 1:26 am

Programs: UA, TK, AFKL, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton
There is but you are not technically connecting, you have two separate flights. So not sure if you can use that desk. In any case, when checking in at LGA the agent will verify you have all the required documentation to enter Canada, because according to your ticket, that's what you will do.
Old Nov 20, 22, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by physicsdude View Post
This is a very stupid question but I'm dumb. Basically, I need to head to SFO but it's cheaper to fly out west when I fly through YYZ where the plan is to fly LGA-YYZ and then YYZ-SFO with AC on separate itineraries. I know that I'll have to clear TSA and US customs again but is this allowed and is this worth the risk of saving hundreds of dollars?
It is not prohibited, but AC will not through check your baggage and will not be responsible for a misconnection.

And I am surprised you actually can save money this way. I always want to do self connection at YYZ with AC for US transcontinental trip but it is usually much more expensive than just flying UA.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:29 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by physicsdude View Post
This is a very stupid question but I'm dumb. Basically, I need to head to SFO but it's cheaper to fly out west when I fly through YYZ where the plan is to fly LGA-YYZ and then YYZ-SFO with AC on separate itineraries. I know that I'll have to clear TSA and US customs again but is this allowed and is this worth the risk of saving hundreds of dollars?
How much time are you leaving between both flights? If you are taking a morning flight to YYZ and then an evening flight to SFO (i.e. 8 to 10 hours in between), I would not foresee any issues. If you have like 2 or 3 hours between the flights, AC may judge this as a potential cabotage violation and not let you board in LGA.

When I have done these itineraries before, (including some on the same ticket), I always had more than 4 hours between arriving in Canada and departing to a different point in the USA. YMMV

Search this Thread