ORD to YUL

Old Feb 15, 19, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
ORD to YUL

First off, apologies as I'm sure this is mentioned in this forum multiple times but I'm just a bit lost so figured I'd post a new thread. It's been quite some time since I've last flown into Canada. I'll be doing an ORD to YUL flight in a few weeks. My boss told me to make sure I purchase some sort of "fast track" for getting into the country. I have Global Entry but as far as I'm aware that is only good when leaving Canada. He said that basically when you land there are two ways that non Canadian residents can go and one is for those with this "fast track" and one is for those without it. He didn't know the name and I've asked him for it and haven't heard much.

So my question basically is: What can I do to limit the amount of time I spend entering the country? Is there something I should sign up for ahead of time? An app I should download? I'm basically in and out for a dinner meeting so any time I can save is helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: none
You are looking for Nexus:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...mande-eng.html

There is also information half way down this page about adding Nexus to your Global Entry:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

Last edited by smallmj; Feb 15, 19 at 3:27 pm Reason: additional info
Old Feb 15, 19, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj View Post

See that's the only thing I can find but not sure if it's worth it or if I can even get it all done before my flight on March 5. If it's anything like Global Entry it takes some time. And as I only plan to go into Canada this one time not sure it's worth it. Scheduling an interview in person just seems complicated.
Old Feb 15, 19, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are flying to Canada just once, $50 seems not worth it because it will probably take you more time to complete the process than you will spend in line for that one trip. There is absolutely no way to predict how long it will take. Could be that you have never had a parking ticket in your life, but there is someone on a watch list with a name and date of birth close to yours and it takes 3 months to clear it.
Old Feb 15, 19, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If you are flying to Canada just once, $50 seems not worth it because it will probably take you more time to complete the process than you will spend in line for that one trip. There is absolutely no way to predict how long it will take. Could be that you have never had a parking ticket in your life, but there is someone on a watch list with a name and date of birth close to yours and it takes 3 months to clear it.
Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. Seems I can piggy back off of my Global Entry but even then I don't know that they process would be done in time for my trip on 3/5. That being said I still think I'd need to do the interview while there which would have to be after I had entered anyways.
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. Seems I can piggy back off of my Global Entry but even then I don't know that they process would be done in time for my trip on 3/5. That being said I still think I'd need to do the interview while there which would have to be after I had entered anyways.
I'm a Global Entry member who applied to add Nexus to my status. That was in October and my application still hasn't even been reviewed yet. Immigration at most Canada airports is pretty quick in most cases anyway.
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I'm a Global Entry member who applied to add Nexus to my status. That was in October and my application still hasn't even been reviewed yet. Immigration at most Canada airports is pretty quick in most cases anyway.
The website said something like 68 days is the current processing time. Can't remember exactly but yeah it would be after my flight. I'd certainly consider it if I traveled there more.

Funny thing is I asked my boss again and he answered saying he though I would need an eTA, which he did, because he doesn't have a US passport!! He's British.
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
The website said something like 68 days is the current processing time. Can't remember exactly but yeah it would be after my flight. I'd certainly consider it if I traveled there more.

Funny thing is I asked my boss again and he answered saying he though I would need an eTA, which he did, because he doesn't have a US passport!! He's British.
US citizens do not need an eTA. Canadian citizens are exempt from ETSA.

Don't stress about YUL immigration. There are rows and rows of kiosks to use to do your incoming declaration. Even if you have the misfortune of landing just after a widebody flight from Europe (or Beijing), I can't imagine it taking more than 30 mins. In most cases it will be much less.
--
13F
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
US citizens do not need an eTA. Canadian citizens are exempt from ETSA.

Don't stress about YUL immigration. There are rows and rows of kiosks to use to do your incoming declaration. Even if you have the misfortune of landing just after a widebody flight from Europe (or Beijing), I can't imagine it taking more than 30 mins. In most cases it will be much less.
--
13F
Maybe things have changed (I don't recall the kiosks), or maybe I was just unlucky. Last time I was in YUL, I was in line for over an hour (US passport). Maybe I landed just after 2 widebodys . I'm heading back there in a couple months so I do hope it's 30 mins or less this time.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Kiosks are fairly new but donít know exact YUL timeline. Download the app and you can do the customs form on the plane (works offline).

Immigration at every airport can vary, but it shouldnít be too bad there unless you get unlucky or all the machines break. Especially on a US passport though if itís your first ever visit to Canada there might be a few more questions if you even speak to an officer.
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
YUL have kiosks but expect waits during summer late afternoons.

Search this Thread