Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

looking for advice- Niagara falls

looking for advice- Niagara falls

Old Jan 2, 19, 6:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
looking for advice- Niagara falls

Hi all,

we are looking for a little advice and are being overloaded by info from everywhere. Please excuse me of some of these questions are obvious? We are from the UK and are clueless around things.

We intend to visit Niagara falls from new york. We will be flying into buffallo airport picking a rental car up and driving into Canada via peace bridge. How long are the expected wait times for the crossing?

We will be going on the hornblower cruise and a walk behind the falls. Then we were going to look on upon niagara on the lake before retiring for the evening. We were thinking the hilton or the marriots on fallsview? Which one is better for couple? We have elite status and would like a good view of the falls for the night show if possible.

The next morning we intend to return to buffalo airport to fly out to Philadelphia.

any other advice is most welcome. I am grateful for any comments.
MDawood is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by MDawood View Post
We will be flying into buffallo airport picking a rental car up and driving into Canada via peace bridge. How long are the expected wait times for the crossing?
Current wait times for all of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls bridge crossings can be found on various websites including this one: http://www.peacebridge.com/
You might want to consider crossing at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls - there are no trucks crossing on this bridge and it will take you directly into the main Niagara Falls attractions area. Maybe check the website before you leave to see if one bridge has any significantly shorter wait time.
Symmetre likes this.
Jono is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Current wait times for all of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls bridge crossings can be found on various websites including this one: http://www.peacebridge.com/
You might want to consider crossing at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls - there are no trucks crossing on this bridge and it will take you directly into the main Niagara Falls attractions area. Maybe check the website before you leave to see if one bridge has any significantly shorter wait time.
I echo those comments and have one additional tidbit... when I went over the Peace Bridge last month, they had some major construction going on which closed the center lane. It impacted the Ft. Erie --> Buffalo direction much more so be sure to consider that when going back to the Buffalo Airport.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:07 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Thanks both.

So i wasnt crazy in attempting this. The peacbridge site is so useful thank you. Will make sure to check before travelling. Looks like rainbow bridge for us. Worst thing to be stuck in traffic.

any advice on the hotels in the area? Or should we avoid a stay and just travel back. Are the falls nice at night during winter Jan?

mdawood
MDawood is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:12 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,841
Buffalo airport is a breeze, as is the rental pickup. It'll be about 30 minutes to the border crossings, check the websites, but I've never had to wait more than ten minutes, and now is not a busy time of year. Now for the brutally honest bit...Niagara Falls town is nothing to write home about. I'd spend more time in NotL, and perhaps exploring the local wineries.
Symmetre likes this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:27 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,600
I tend to stay at the Hilton, but have stayed at the Marriott as well, both are decent. If you go directly on to the hotel website, they normally have some packages available (depending on what interests you, dining, gambling, wine tastings etc.) and have falls view rooms. The fireworks only happen on Friday nights in January, but they are illuminated every night (not a show per say, just lights all evening).

I do not believe the Hornblower runs in the winter months, too much ice in the river.

I do like the falls in winter, but it can be very very cold down at the waters edge at time, and slippy, so be careful and pack some warm clothes, hats, gloves, and winter boots.
emma69 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:01 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
I tend to stay at the Hilton, but have stayed at the Marriott as well, both are decent. If you go directly on to the hotel website, they normally have some packages available (depending on what interests you, dining, gambling, wine tastings etc.) and have falls view rooms. The fireworks only happen on Friday nights in January, but they are illuminated every night (not a show per say, just lights all evening).

I do not believe the Hornblower runs in the winter months, too much ice in the river.

I do like the falls in winter, but it can be very very cold down at the waters edge at time, and slippy, so be careful and pack some warm clothes, hats, gloves, and winter boots.
No boat! And no fireworks we can't make it on a friday. Oh well will just have to make it up by spending sometime in the wineries and walks. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
MDawood is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC E75
Posts: 730
I was on the American side with the kids on the 30th and worth a stop there as well since the viewing area is all free in the winter. Overall not very many people at all and I would imagine that for you it will be even quieter since I was there the day before New Years Eve. We were able to park on the street about a 2 min walk from the falls park/visitor's centre.
YZF_Elite is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:26 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by MDawood View Post
The next morning we intend to return to buffalo airport to fly out to Philadelphia.

any other advice is most welcome. I am grateful for any comments.
Hi, I'm up there at least twelve times a year, so feel free to ask me any other questions! As far as the ones you've asked, I'd recommend downloading Waze, it will incorporate real time traffic data, including border crossing time.

The Hilton and the Marriott are both quite nice, if you have any interest in swimming, the pool at the Hilton is closed until later this year, although they do have alternate access arranged at one of the other hotels nearby.

You'll get pretty comparable views at both hotels, although the Hilton tends to be significantly less expensive, especially for the higher end rooms. As long as you book one of the rooms on a higher floor, you'll have a great view no matter what. I've stayed at about a dozen of the hotels in the area, and always had, at the very least, a decent view.
Zelucifer is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:40 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
Hi, I'm up there at least twelve times a year, so feel free to ask me any other questions! As far as the ones you've asked, I'd recommend downloading Waze, it will incorporate real time traffic data, including border crossing time.

The Hilton and the Marriott are both quite nice, if you have any interest in swimming, the pool at the Hilton is closed until later this year, although they do have alternate access arranged at one of the other hotels nearby.

You'll get pretty comparable views at both hotels, although the Hilton tends to be significantly less expensive, especially for the higher end rooms. As long as you book one of the rooms on a higher floor, you'll have a great view no matter what. I've stayed at about a dozen of the hotels in the area, and always had, at the very least, a decent view.
thank you. We are going to stay at the Marriott. Lucky for us. It's nearly crunch time as we are travelling next week. Only question I have for you guys is what is the must see?

I have been told we must go to the horseshoe falls Canada side and niagara on the lake/wineries. As advised above. Anything else we should squeeze in the day considering we have a rental.
MDawood is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:03 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 408
I would recommend trying to eat your meals in Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL). Restaurants in Niagara Falls proper are typically over-priced chains with mediocre food.

If you are interested in shopping with the lower Canadian dollar, check out the newer Outlet Collection Mall on the QEW Highway near the exit to NOTL.
Jono is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:38 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to Florida...bye London
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 4,915
Also make sure the rental car agency knows you are taking the car into Canada. They are used to it but you need to tell them so they include the Canadian Insurance card.

The Olde Angel Inn at Niagara-on-the-Lake Is an original pub that is nice to see. Niagara-on-the-Lake Pub The Olde Angel Inn, Restaurant and Live Entertainment

If you are flying in, driving to Niagara on the Lake, doing a winery, then driving back to Niagara Falls it will be a long day. It can be but I hope you won't be jet lagged.

There is a glass blowing factory in Niagara Falls Canada that is nice to visit. https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/.../angelo-rossi/
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Jan 12, 19, 10:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to Florida...bye London
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 4,915
I just got an email from Groupon ( US version) with a couple of cheap offers for hotels in Niagara Falls.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 5:17 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Thank you so Much

Well guys.

I want to thank each one of you and give you a quick update.

We arrived at buffalo and went through arrivals in a breeze. LondonElite the airport was small indeed we were out in no time and one the way back security was a superquick. The rental company had everything ready. We even got upgraded for free to a dodge, I think that had more to do with Mrs mdawood' s charisma than me!

JimInOhio and Jono. It looks us 40 mins to get to rainbow bridge. We breezed through thanks to the website you gave us, we were the only ones crossing. Even the Canadian border agent stopped to talk and said we must go to Toronto. Also eternally grateful for the websitee or else we would have been stuck on peace bridge for an hour according to the info.

We ended up staying at the Hilton fallsview, i had a last minute change of heart. Also secretly i am completing a diamond status challenge and this stay at hilton was just one extra to the milestone. We got a free upgrad to the 17th floor and what a view it was . We didn't appreciate it till night time when they switched the lights on. emma69 thanks for the heads up and Zelucifer we did not go swimming unfortunately.

now for the real part. The falls are beautiful even more so in the winter. With all the ice and the trees covered with frost. The boats were not running but we did make it into the tunnel and saw a great view of the falls. One thing I will say, I am British and i wore 5 layers of clothing plus all the winter gear (hat and gloves), needless to say I was freezing and complained the whole time.

We drove on to peller estates winery had a great meal. (I wasn't allowed alcahol as I was driving) but we did get a bottle to take home. MoreMilesPlease thanks for the advise niagara on the lake is a great town/city.

We still had energy and went on to drive to Toronto. Climbed the cn tower and had a nice walk. Then back to the hotel to finally open the wine and enjoy the view, well after midnight. Next morning a short 40 min drive to buffalo airport. The sat nav routed us through the 190 and over the South grand island bridge, which I am pretty sure is a toll bridge. So I am expecting a fine from Hertz soon.

Positive we had the falls to ourselves and everything you guys advised made it better thank you so much.

Negative one of the most tiring days I ever did but I guess we will keep going till our grave.

if I ever meet one of you on our travels, we will need to have a drink together and dinner. Preferably somewhere that does not involve me driving!
MoreMilesPlease and Jono like this.
MDawood is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:22 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to Florida...bye London
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 4,915
Originally Posted by MDawood View Post
Well guys.
.......

if I ever meet one of you on our travels, we will need to have a drink together and dinner. Preferably somewhere that does not involve me driving!

When you make it to Florida let me know. I'll drive and you can have a drink. Glad you enjoyed Niagara.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread