Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL transfer question

YUL transfer question

Old Dec 20, 18, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
YUL transfer question

I am going to be flying YYZ-YUL-VRA next week and was wondering if I can transfer in Montreal from the domestic gates to the international gates without re-clearing security? Looking at the same flights today, it looks like the YYZ-YUL flight arrived at gate 48 and departed to VRA out of gate A61.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Yes .
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Yes. It is one long terminal.
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks!!
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

As this is a YUL airport question rather than an Air Canada specific question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Dec 26, 18, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Another question..ord to yul to doh on AA and then QR. What will the transit process be at you? Thanks
Old Feb 8, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Crown & Anchor Platinum
Coming from ORD you will go through Canadian customs and then normally go back through security in the domestic/international area.
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/conne...hts#Etats-Unis
Old Feb 9, 19, 12:52 pm

When flying EU-YUL-USA, is Global Entry available?
Old Feb 9, 19, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
When flying EU-YUL-USA, is Global Entry available?
GE doesn't work entering Canada. What it may do for you is speed your way through U.S preclearance and security, if you bring your GE card.
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
GE doesn't work entering Canada. What it may do for you is speed your way through U.S preclearance and security, if you bring your GE card.
Though you may need your GE card to access expedited security screening at YUL, you don't need (or even can use) the card for US pre-clearance. Your GE status is accessed directly through your US passport.
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:02 am

I am only connecting in YUL, so am I going directly from the plane to US preclearance or do I need to clear Canadian inspection first? Is there a separate US preclearance line for Global Entry? I am not talking about using the card, but the kiosk (and much shorter line associated with it). I know how GE works, I am just curious if it will help expedite my relatively short connection in YUL. I have no idea what US preclearance is or how it works, and the descriptions online say nothing about GE.

In my limited experience, the immigration/customs agents in Canada (landside and airside) tend to be by far the worst of any country I have been to (~40) in terms of asking a lot of unnecessary and detailed questions, so I would be quite happy if I can avoid that on a tight int'l to USA connection.

Last edited by downinit; Feb 12, 19 at 10:13 am
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
I am only connecting in YUL, so am I going directly from the plane to US preclearance or do I need to clear Canadian inspection first? Is there a separate US preclearance line for Global Entry? I am not talking about using the card, but the kiosk (and much shorter line associated with it). I know how GE works, I am just curious if it will help expedite my relatively short connection in YUL. I have no idea what US preclearance is or how it works, and the descriptions online say nothing about GE.

In my limited experience, the immigration/customs agents in Canada (landside and airside) tend to be by far the worst of any country I have been to (~40) in terms of asking a lot of unnecessary and detailed questions, so I would be quite happy if I can avoid that on a tight int'l to USA connection.
It's right on the Montreal Airports website linked above:

"If your flight originated outside Canada or the United States and you need to take a connecting flight to a U.S. destination, follow the signs "Connections". There are two possible options:
  • If your airline offers the option of automatically transferring your luggage and you have a boarding pass for your connecting flight, you will be asked to proceed via a connecting flights corridor, avoiding Canadian customs. You will, however, have to go through U.S. customs. Your checked luggage will be transferred automatically by the luggage-handling system. Note, however, that U.S. customs officers are authorized to recall your luggage, if necessary, for manual inspection. If the customs officers do not yet have the information on your luggage at hand, you will be asked to proceed to the waiting area. "
YUL has GE kiosks.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
YUL has GE kiosks.
This was the answer I was looking for from the onset. Those last two replies just confused me, as I did read that on the YUL website beforehand.

Thank you

Search this Thread