Wiki Posts
Search

US to YVR to TYO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
US to YVR to TYO

On my way to Tokyo via YVR. I depart PDX and usually like to buy a bottle of wine (airside) for my hotel later on. This works out fine domestically. But If I have a bottle of wine in my carry on bag when I get to YVR will it pass through customs or will I have to give it up. Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You will not clear Canadian customs in YVR if you are in transit, only a cursory inspection by border security. Arriving from the U.S. you should also be able to skip a second security screening, so you should be fine to carry your bottle. Make sure it's in a properly sealed duty-free bag just in case.

Finally, you could of course just buy a good bottle of BC wine at YVR international departures before heading to TYO. Saves you any trouble and may get you to try something new.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
That is a great idea to buy a canadian wine, but I do have the priority pass and I can use it at two different spots in pdx... But thanks for the reply
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
When you buy it airside in the US, make sure that it is packed in an official duty free tamper-evident security bag.

Take a look at this CATSA web page:
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
When you buy it airside in the US, make sure that it is packed in an official duty free tamper-evident security bag.

Take a look at this CATSA web page:
And be aware. From the link above:

Connecting international flights or multiple airport transfers

Please note that duty-free liquids, aerosols and gels may be intercepted if you pass through pre-board screening at a connecting airport in another country or at multiple airports over a two-day period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.