YHZ Immigration

Old Oct 2, 18, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
YHZ Immigration

Dear all,

I'm planning a daytrip to Halifax on Westjets MAX8. Arrival would be at 1.35pm, departure back to Europe at 10.55pm. Now I'm a little concerned whether this special itinerary will cause any problems at the immigration in YHZ. Would it be wise to add a night in Nova Scotia before returning to the other side of the pond?

Regards
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:19 am

Programs: none
Wow, that is quite the day trip. I can't imagine any issues with the Canada Border Services Agency, unless they suspect you are a drug mule. They might chuckle a bit at your short stay. Also, make sure you get your electronic Travel Authorization.

Be warned that the Halifax Airport is about 30 minutes away from the centre of town. I'm not sure what you are planning to see or do, but make sure you budget enough time to get to and from the airport. And visit the citadel.
RJ1H likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Wow, that is quite the day trip. I can't imagine any issues with the Canada Border Services Agency, unless they suspect you are a drug mule. They might chuckle a bit at your short stay. Also, make sure you get your electronic Travel Authorization.

Be warned that the Halifax Airport is about 30 minutes away from the centre of town. I'm not sure what you are planning to see or do, but make sure you budget enough time to get to and from the airport. And visit the citadel.
Thanks for your quick reply! eTA is already completed and approved
I am aware of the distance between the airport and downtown and I am happy if I can spend 3 or 4 hours in Halifax, visit the mentioned citadel and grab a Mooseheads jersey.
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RJ1H View Post
Thanks for your quick reply! eTA is already completed and approved
I am aware of the distance between the airport and downtown and I am happy if I can spend 3 or 4 hours in Halifax, visit the mentioned citadel and grab a Mooseheads jersey.
Yeah should have tons of time as long as the flights not crazy delayed. YHZ is tiny as well so customs and even luggage (Iím assuming carry on only though) is pretty quick.

People do shorter trips for mileage runs all the time so 9h is perfectly okay. Worst case theyíll want to search your luggage and ask why you are doing a day trip.

Thereís some great places downtown along the waterfront for sea food as well and a park a little way out with some older buildings. The citadel is a worth a few hours, but does of course does close at 5...

Uber is not available, so id check if thereís a bus or shuttle at least one way as Iíve paid about $70-$80 for the taxis before.
RJ1H likes this.
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your advices! I booked the trip, will travel to Nova Scotia next summer and see what I can do in the few hours I will have in Halifax.

This will be my first TATL on a narrow-body, but not my first insane day trip (BOS, PTP..). Aviation is my passion and so is travelling.
aidy likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: Skymiles
Metro Transit will get you downtown for $3.50. Enjoy the trip.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...t/Route320.pdf
Old Oct 8, 18, 2:59 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by ATL10A View Post
Metro Transit will get you downtown for $3.50. Enjoy the trip.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...t/Route320.pdf
It runs hourly during mid day when the OP arrives. Not great for such a short visit. If the chips fall the right way it would be fine I suppose.
Old Oct 8, 18, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason to be particularly concerned about the short stay. Many people do these sort of short hops. If you are asked, give the truthful answer. Spending a night won't change the calculus.
RJ1H likes this.

Search this Thread