Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

US->Canada Transfers in YVR

Old Jun 9, 18, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles

I did a US->YYZ->YYC transfer last week and was reminded how much I absolutely despise doing that; the connection was 75 minutes and I was running to final call at the gate, had to clear security AGAIN with no connections line (mind you this was T3 at Pearson and not AC). I always prefer to clear in YYC and will take any airline that will allow me to do that most of the time.

Is YVR just as bad? Do we have to re-clear security again (where did OSS go) when transferring from US inbound to domestic connections?
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, AC E*50K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
I did a US->YYZ->YYC transfer last week and was reminded how much I absolutely despise doing that; the connection was 75 minutes and I was running to final call at the gate, had to clear security AGAIN with no connections line (mind you this was T3 at Pearson and not AC). I always prefer to clear in YYC and will take any airline that will allow me to do that most of the time.

Is YVR just as bad? Do we have to re-clear security again (where did OSS go) when transferring from US inbound to domestic connections?
I suspect you'll have to re-clear security. I often fly International→YVR→YYC, and have to clear security again after passing through immigration. Since that's also your point of entry into Canada when flying in from the States, I'm guessing it's the same deal.
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K, UA M+ Gold, Marriott Platinum
Yes you'll have to re-clear security after arriving from an international flight (including US).

They have a thing they call 'express' for those connecting from international to domestic, but I find its pretty hit or miss in terms of being quicker, and from what I remember, there is no Nexus or status security lanes. If you want to use it, go to the far back right side of the arrivals hall, past the luggage carousels, and then up the elevator. Most of the time I go landside and walk back over to domestic, because its more predictable and I can use the Nexus lane. YMMV.
Old Jun 9, 18, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bestcoastflyer View Post
Yes you'll have to re-clear security after arriving from an international flight (including US).

They have a thing they call 'express' for those connecting from international to domestic, but I find its pretty hit or miss in terms of being quicker, and from what I remember, there is no Nexus or status security lanes. If you want to use it, go to the far back right side of the arrivals hall, past the luggage carousels, and then up the elevator. Most of the time I go landside and walk back over to domestic, because its more predictable and I can use the Nexus lane. YMMV.
Same thing here. Abandon the transfer process. Just exit landslide and reclear via nexus or priority line. Internal transfer is a total disaster at YVR.
Old Jun 9, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Not sure about this "transfer" process. When I did SAN-YVR-YYC a few weeks ago, there was a YVR employee in the customs area asking people if they had connections in order to help them out with the "express" service, but when I asked him, he said it was only for checked bags. As we had only carry-on bags, we were directed to go through customs and then over to domestic security etc as normal.

On the bright side, it seems that while there's no longer anyone manning the NEXUS/priority security at domestic, if you have NEXUS, they'll let you through the little NEXUS lane off to the side pretty much any time - much more civilized than when they seemed to shut it down at 7:30 or 8PM or something like that.
Old Jun 9, 18, 11:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post

Same thing here. Abandon the transfer process. Just exit landslide and reclear via nexus or priority line. Internal transfer is a total disaster at YVR.
If you tell the person scanning boarding passes at the front of the line that you are a connecting passanger, they will move you over to the priority line this normally reserved for Nexus, premium cabin and people with some high end Visa product.
Old Jun 10, 18, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
You do not need to reclear security in T1 on US-Domestic connections.

There's no NEXUS, and you have to take a bus, but there's no security.

So your T3 experience doesn't match the AC experience.
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

As this is a Canada topic rather than an Air Canada topic the thread has been relocated to the Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

Search this Thread