Reload this Page >

Check In & Immigration

Check In & Immigration

Old May 13, 18, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Check In & Immigration

Hi all

So if a couple of other flights go as planned then i will be looking at doing a multi city holiday to N America

I want to avoid BA if at all possible as their CW is **** but would consider 1st Class if price and times worked.

I was also thinking the YYZ immigration would be potentially less stress than flying into JFK, would I be correct in that?

At the moment it looks like my itinerary would be all be in Business Class with a mix of Air Canada & American Airlines.

LHR-YYZ (AC),YYZ-LGA (AC),LGA-MIA (AA),MIA-YYZ (AA),YYZ-LHR (AC)

I would be staying 3 days in each destination apart from the final leg back via YYZ which would just be an overnight.

I just have a few questions.

Would arriving at bag drop 2 hours for the Outbound and Inbound legs be sufficient, obviously i'd check in via the app 24 hours before.

How is immigration at YYZ when arriving on international flights, should i expect 1-2 hours to exit the airport and would it be the same when arriving back from MIA leg? Both flights arrive circa midday.

As US customs/immigration is done at YYZ for US bound flights 3 hour before departure would be best for that leg?

Sorry for probably stupid questions but I've only ever flown short hop EU flights so immigration formalities/queues etc are new to me :-)

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 18, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by RyanLHR View Post
Hi all

So if a couple of other flights go as planned then i will be looking at doing a multi city holiday to N America

I want to avoid BA if at all possible as their CW is **** but would consider 1st Class if price and times worked.

I was also thinking the YYZ immigration would be potentially less stress than flying into JFK, would I be correct in that?

At the moment it looks like my itinerary would be all be in Business Class with a mix of Air Canada & American Airlines.

LHR-YYZ (AC),YYZ-LGA (AC),LGA-MIA (AA),MIA-YYZ (AA),YYZ-LHR (AC)

I would be staying 3 days in each destination apart from the final leg back via YYZ which would just be an overnight.

I just have a few questions.

Would arriving at bag drop 2 hours for the Outbound and Inbound legs be sufficient, obviously i'd check in via the app 24 hours before.

How is immigration at YYZ when arriving on international flights, should i expect 1-2 hours to exit the airport and would it be the same when arriving back from MIA leg? Both flights arrive circa midday.

As US customs/immigration is done at YYZ for US bound flights 3 hour before departure would be best for that leg?

Sorry for probably stupid questions but I've only ever flown short hop EU flights so immigration formalities/queues etc are new to me :-)

Thanks in advance.
USA -- Canada -- INTL (and vice versa) connections are very streamlined at YYZ. It's all set up to make it about as simple as possible. For instance, luggage that is checked through to the USA goes through USA customs in Toronto "electronically" so there's a very high chance you'll never need to collect it until you reach LGA as a domestic passenger. All you have to do is comply with the Toronto minimum connection times and it's likely everything will go just fine.
Old Jun 5, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
change of airport?

Your cnx. in YYZ is same airport. In NYC, it involves changing airports. It is as simple as that.
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:13 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Your cnx. in YYZ is same airport. In NYC, it involves changing airports. It is as simple as that.
Inbound yes, but outbound no.

AA arrives at Terminal 3 and AC departs from Terminal 1 at YYZ.

So there will be full CBSA arrival immigration and customs, claim bags upon arrival with AA at T3.
I never had to do so but there is an onward bag drop at T3 after customs. Whether you can drop AC T1 bags there I have no idea.
Maybe you will need to take bags over to T1 to check them in with AC

Go to GTAA (YYZ) website and check your connection procedure.
Old Jun 6, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: AC E75
As long as you don't get caught up in this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1909878-internal-ac-memo-warns-delays-unloading-some-flights-yyz-due-cbsa-shortages.html

The jist of it is that there is the potential of YYZ customs/immigration delays due to agents being moved to the physical border to deal with people walking across the border from the US to seek refugee status in Canada.

It wouldn't change my plans, but since you're looking to make decisions based on the lines I thought it was relevant.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
I donít see why YYZ CBP would be less stressful than JFK CBP.

Search this Thread