Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion for notary in Oshawa for African trip documents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Suggestion for notary in Oshawa for African trip documents

Hi, I am in the process of getting some documents ready for an upcoming trip to Mozambique. Two of them require a notary's seal. I don't want to run into problems once there as it's not like I can quickly head back to correct it. I figure I am not the first one to run into this issue. Any suggestions for a reputable and non-expensive notary who knows what they are doing and can assist me? I am in Oshawa but can get to Whitby or Ajax or Pickering. This, by the way, is in Ontario, Canada. Thanks much.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

I was wondering where Oshawa is, until I got to the end of your post
It doesn't really matter which notary you go to if all you require is for them to notarize your documents, you walk in (or set an appointment), give your documents, pay the fee and get the documents notarized, it takes no more than 10 minutes.

What you should check though is wether a notary seal is enough, usually when you present documents from country X in country Y they require authentication as well, in most countries in the world it would be easily done by an apostille stamp, however both Canada and Mozambique are not part of the convention, so it might be a bit more complicated

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Having said all that, and while your destination is indeed in Africa, if you want a recommendation you might have better luck in asking one of the moderators to move this thread to the Canada forum.

Last edited by Ditto; Aug 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Boju, welcome to FlyerTalk.

As the Canada forum would be a better fit re notary services in Ontario, I'll move this to the Canada forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
How many notaries showed up when you google "Notary Oshawa"?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try your own bank - my local TD has notaries. Pretty much any law office can also do it, but there is typically a higher cost.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:33 am

Hi Boju, Ditto is right. I've done this twice in the past. You'll need a notary seal but it is likely just the beginning. Check the requirements carefully - you'll likely also need authentication by a federal or provincial government office, and legalization by the Mozambique embassy in Canada. These two steps are Canada's equivalent of the apostille.

On a notary, just do a google search. I did and yes it doesn't look like you have a lot of options in Oshawa. The cheapest and highest rated is Oshawa-Whitby Notary Public http://oshawanotarypublic.ca/ and they price from $39 to $9 so seems better than a lawyer's office. I would call them and make an appointment, then also ask about the authentication and legalization steps.

The other option, like emma69 said, is a bank, especially if you are doing the financials for your trip with them already.

Happy trails!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.