Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Transborder Process at YYZ

New Transborder Process at YYZ

Old May 19, 2016, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
The advantage: You didn't have to claim your bag and carry it through.

Oh? You didn't check in a bag? Then I agree, probably zero advantage to the old system of leave airside and enter again, except a slightly shorter walk compared to truly re-entering, and probably still a shorter walk and access to a bigger farm of GE kiosks vs. the old 2 using the connection-entrance to preclearance.
We haven't had to claim and recheck a bag in T1 for at least a year.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by rehoult
We haven't had to claim and recheck a bag in T1 for at least a year.
Oh, that's true. Then the improved process really doesn't help at all I guess?
Old May 21, 2016, 5:08 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Geoflying
All that says is

My ? was intended to indicate a rhetorical question

Doesn't address the question of pulling the bags if you don't get on the plane because of pre-clearance failure.

I am wondering if this will end up causing more delays.
they have a system exactly like yvr and yul

your bags get checked in

they then go into a bullpen where they are held

when you clear cbp they're taken from the bullpen and sent to the makeup unit (where the rampie puts your bag in the cart/container)

if you do not clear and they want to search they're pulled from the bullpen and sent to cbp

it's not like you're dealing with the canadian government or something, it's pretty straightforward and streamlined. and cbp isn't like those cbsa goofs, it's not like they search every 1/4 people.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by cur
....it's not like you're dealing with the canadian government or something.....
I'm although not sure why.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
The advantage: You didn't have to claim your bag and carry it through.

Oh? You didn't check in a bag? Then I agree, probably zero advantage to the old system of leave airside and enter again, except a slightly shorter walk compared to truly re-entering, and probably still a shorter walk and access to a bigger farm of GE kiosks vs. the old 2 using the connection-entrance to preclearance.
Domestic passengers connecting to US at YYZ haven't had to collect checked bags for some time now. However, now we have to walk twice as far, through a secure area, only to end up mixing with the passengers originating at YYZ at US customs, and then going though security again.

I don't understand why they have done this. What is the benefit of remaining in a secure zone up to the point of going through customs, versus the old method of exiting the sterile area, and taking a much shorter walk to US Customs?
Old May 21, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
My guess is that OSS will be implemented soon...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...nitiative.html
Old May 21, 2016, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
My guess is that OSS will be implemented soon...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...nitiative.html
Given that the US has different screening requirements for inbound passengers, I don't think they'd be able to send people from domestic to the US.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:30 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by 24left
I'm although not sure why.
oh trust me, the us government is just as bad, but less passive aggressive. so it's managable.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that the US has different screening requirements for inbound passengers, I don't think they'd be able to send people from domestic to the US.
Coming through YVR domestic on Friday, after the BP scan they were directing people with final destinations in the US to remove shoes and belts.

I thought it was strange until reading this thread.

I wonder if TSA Pre would show on these domestic departures then?
Old May 22, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by televisor
Are people consistently being asked to show a Nexus/GE card to even get to the GE machines now, or is that just for security?
Just for the Nexus security line.

You can go through "regular" security then head for the Nexus/Global entry sign on the left side to access the Global Entry machines. No one there checking for cards/passports - presumably if you don't have GE and try to use the machine, you'll get an error and be booted to the other line.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
New system is a downgrade for Nexus members

Under the old system, once you used the GE machine, you'd wander past the CBP people in their kiosks and hand in your piece of paper before heading to security.

Now they were directing everyone from the GE machines to go into a line to speak to a CBP person in the kiosk who scans boarding pass, checks passport and asks a question or two. ... is the point of GE if the border guys give you the once over after the machine has already done its checks. I can see this being a cluster on a budy day.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
So I've just gone through the new process. Yes, it requires GE/Nexus pax to speak with an agent. My "interview" this morning took about 10 seconds and I was on my way. Granted, there was no one ahead of me in the queue, but the GE/Nexus lane feeds you right to the front of the other lines. So unless there are a million people waiting ahead of you, it shouldn't take all that long to get through to an agent.

The rest of the process was pretty smooth. Security was deserted but looks like it could get crowded at peak travel times. No worse than the old system, probably a little better the rest of the time.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by ffsim
So I've just gone through the new process. Yes, it requires GE/Nexus pax to speak with an agent. My "interview" this morning took about 10 seconds and I was on my way. Granted, there was no one ahead of me in the queue, but the GE/Nexus lane feeds you right to the front of the other lines. So unless there are a million people waiting ahead of you, it shouldn't take all that long to get through to an agent.

The rest of the process was pretty smooth. Security was deserted but looks like it could get crowded at peak travel times. No worse than the old system, probably a little better the rest of the time.
Out of interest did they stamp your passport?

(They stamped mine, but I did get an X, with the old system still in place, but everyone seeing an agent.)
Old May 24, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by airswim
Did this this morning, domestic transfer to US. ... And no advantage with nexus, Amex,or status in security line! Nexus, non nexus not clearly marked once passed security, lines you go into after that if you are a zero or x on your receipt are a mess. Hopefully it gets better.
A colleague went through T1 domestic to US today and had the same experience. 1hr+ in line for security, with no status or NEXUS priority line. That sounds insane.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by televisor
Out of interest did they stamp your passport?

(They stamped mine, but I did get an X, with the old system still in place, but everyone seeing an agent.)
No, they only stamped my GE receipt.

Originally Posted by sweden05
A colleague went through T1 domestic to US today and had the same experience. 1hr+ in line for security, with no status or NEXUS priority line. That sounds insane.
Absolutely sounds insane! What time did your colleague go through today?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.