Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

The people working immigration. They're worse than the TSA. I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly, or is the government just like the US?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
The people working immigration. They're worse than the TSA. I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly, or is the government just like the US?
I can't really comment too much without knowing any specifics. Are you suggesting that YVR is different than other entry points into Canada, or that Canada in general has unfriendly immigration agents? I've found Canadian immigration agents on the whole to be fairly no nonsense. They do their job without being overly friendly or familiar but you rarely see them on a major power trip. I find that US immigration agents often fall into one of these categories.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

They grill you, like you are being interrogated.

I guess I don't know what it is like being a non-citizen and going through US immigration. But in Europe and Asia immigration is never that bad.

I don't know if "no-nonsense" means rapid-fire questions. I also don't get why it is "doing their job".
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:45 pm

YVR is known to be tough, especially for Asians or immigrants, etc...
Even worse for single females, questioning their reasons for travel, afraid of illegal activities

Don't feel too bad, I think even Ben (lucky) from OMAAT gets grilled by YVR CBSA agents
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Agreed. Some of my worst immigration experiences have been at YVR.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:08 pm

+1

And I'm neither female nor Asian.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Why is it acceptable? Because Canadians don't have to go through it?
I felt like doing Nexus just for the reason of skipping this.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I've heard they can be even nastier with Canadians.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:54 am

I wonder if it's just a Canada / US immigration thing? Even then I find it a bit hit and miss.

I don't recall encountering any problems with immigration in Asia and Europe either.

While I skip the regular line nowadays with Nexus, I do recall a lot of questions coming back to Canada in the past. I was complaining to my friend who works in customs (and YVR specifically in the past) about getting the third degree waiting for my luggage at the carousel and IIRC, his answer was that part of it is to get you somewhat uncomfortable and see how you react.

On the flip side, even with Nexus, I feel I get grilled by US pre-clearance at YVR lol
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Unless you are crossing at the same port of entry on a very regular basis it's hard to generalize an individual agent's attitude into a statement about CBSA more generally. There is a trusted traveler program in place for frequent travelers, if you are entering Canada from the US often enough to have an opinion about YVR immigration you should consider joining.

At the end of the day, visa-free entry to a foreign country is a privilege. If you do not understand this perhaps it is the traveler's attitude that is causing the problem. You try giving attitude to a US CBP officer as a foreigner and let me know how that goes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: FT
i suspect that dealing with liars and cheaters and smugglers on a daily basis just makes them cynical and assume everyone is a liar. don't take it personally. it is others than cause you this pain.

i used to think the same of US agents but then i got nexus and they go my fingerprints and now i never get a hard time.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
They have been like that towards Canadian citizens too, it's not only you.
(CBSA does not represent most Canadians.)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
They have grilled me (as a Canadian citizen) too (this was, admittedly, before I had NEXUS.)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Confirming they are nasty to Canadians too.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've heard they can be even nastier with Canadians.

Confirming they are nasty to Canadians too; there are no "travellers" only potential smugglers.

Got to make sure they get their import duties on every drop of liquor we're all trying to smuggle back into the Great White North.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Unless you are crossing at the same port of entry on a very regular basis it's hard to generalize an individual agent's attitude into a statement about CBSA more generally. There is a trusted traveler program in place for frequent travelers, if you are entering Canada from the US often enough to have an opinion about YVR immigration you should consider joining.

At the end of the day, visa-free entry to a foreign country is a privilege. If you do not understand this perhaps it is the traveler's attitude that is causing the problem. You try giving attitude to a US CBP officer as a foreigner and let me know how that goes.
I think if you look at the thread it is true about CBSA in general. It isn't just one agent. It is all of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.