Reload this Page >

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
Really positive experience at YVR on 22/12/15. (Two of us together, Same sex partners.)

No queue, straight up to desk. Asked how we knew each other. Officer misheard and though I said 'we are brothers' I had in fact said 'We are partners.' As a result he questioned why we had separate surnames if we were brothers. I quickly corrected the situation and he didn't bat an eyelid, and we were through in less than 60 seconds.

Also have to put in a word for USA which I have found to be be fine every time. As a UK based ESTA user the introduction of the automated passport kiosk is brilliant. On the above trip I connected through Seattle and was through immigration using the APK in less than 4 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tim1966
Really positive experience at YVR on 22/12/15. (Two of us together, Same sex partners.)

No queue, straight up to desk. Asked how we knew each other. Officer misheard and though I said 'we are brothers' I had in fact said 'We are partners.' As a result he questioned why we had separate surnames if we were brothers. I quickly corrected the situation and he didn't bat an eyelid, and we were through in less than 60 seconds.

Also have to put in a word for USA which I have found to be be fine every time. As a UK based ESTA user the introduction of the automated passport kiosk is brilliant. On the above trip I connected through Seattle and was through immigration using the APK in less than 4 minutes.
I had a really good experience at YYZ recently too, they didnt bat an eyelid at me, just asked where I was staying and wished me a nice holiday in Canada. Was surprised haha
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Smile another good experiencin mid-Dec

Not sure about all the whinging here in this thread... I found my recent entrance through YVR one of the most pleasant home-comings in quite some time. Thank you to the CBSA agents for your politeness and professionalism.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/new...uards-think-so
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I used to go through YVR annually and the immigration there interrogated me the most and I've gone through immigration in a few countries in Europe and Asia. They are just doing their job so I just smile and answer their questions since I'm not doing anything illegal. I can imagine it being a frustrating job especially when communication becomes an issue.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
You're three years too late with that.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:22 am
Original Poster

So, another trip to the worst immigration in the world (not sure why posters felt posting "positive" experiences makes it "better"?)

So while we got needlessly sent to secondary I got to observe how the uniformed officers of Canada treat others, and wow, it makes TSA look actually good. One man is being helped with an interpreter (Spanish), and another lady gets called up. Her case is relatively simple, she just cannot bring meat. However, the officer doesn't speak any Spanish. So they "borrow" the other interpreter for a few sentences (as in have the interpreter translate a few phrases from 10 feet away). Then he goes about chatting to another agent who is going to replace him about how the lady is upset she cannot bring the meat in, and making fun of her for that (I presume she cannot understand English, so actually doesn't understand they are making fun of her). That's just rude and unprofessional, and I cannot imagine any way that would be justified.

(of course, with the caveat I've not had issues with US immigration, being a citizen, so don't know how they treat non-citizens)
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
.....while we got needlessly sent to secondary.....
Needlessly? Does anyone ever think they should be sent to secondary?

I find YVR's officers (US and Canada) no different than their counterparts at other crossings.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Needlessly? Does anyone ever think they should be sent to secondary?

I find YVR's officers (US and Canada) no different than their counterparts at other crossings.
Have you ever been to YYJ or YTZ?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Have you ever been to YYJ or YTZ?
Have you ever been to the Emerson-Pembina crossing? Or the Blue Water crossing in Sarnia?

I mean what does it matter? I have crossed the border hundreds of times at multiple crossings. Generally speaking the border agents act like border agents and I find no difference at YVR.

Could you have had a bad experience in YVR? Without a doubt. Does that support your premise that YVR immigration are jerks. No.
tcook052, SJOGuy and Badenoch like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
So, another trip to the worst immigration in the world (not sure why posters felt posting "positive" experiences makes it "better"?)

So while we got needlessly sent to secondary I got to observe how the uniformed officers of Canada treat others, and wow, it makes TSA look actually good. One man is being helped with an interpreter (Spanish), and another lady gets called up. Her case is relatively simple, she just cannot bring meat. However, the officer doesn't speak any Spanish. So they "borrow" the other interpreter for a few sentences (as in have the interpreter translate a few phrases from 10 feet away). Then he goes about chatting to another agent who is going to replace him about how the lady is upset she cannot bring the meat in, and making fun of her for that (I presume she cannot understand English, so actually doesn't understand they are making fun of her). That's just rude and unprofessional, and I cannot imagine any way that would be justified.

(of course, with the caveat I've not had issues with US immigration, being a citizen, so don't know how they treat non-citizens)
And yet despite the poor treatment, your outrage, dismay and belief it is the "worst immigration in the world" you keep coming back. Obviously the appeal of Canada outweighs the poor treatment you've received.

Perhaps instead of whining about the CBSA here you might file a complaint with them. Please follow the link below.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html
tcook052, HomerJay and defrosted like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA
Could you have had a bad experience in YVR? Without a doubt. Does that support your premise that YVR immigration are jerks. No.
Well, can we agree to generalize that immigration officers are jerks?
I hold Canadian passport but reside in US. Whenever I cross the border into Canada, I got grilled with great questions such as "Why are you coming into Canada?".
In contrast, when entering US, I've only ever been asked standard questions such as "how long were you away", "where did you go" and "anything to declare".
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by a5un
Well, can we agree to generalize that immigration officers are jerks?
I hold Canadian passport but reside in US. When I cross the border into Canada, I got grilled with great questions such as "Why are you coming into Canada?".
I just say I miss my Harvey’s and Tim Hortons. Ask a stupid question. Get a stupid answer.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Have you ever been to the Emerson-Pembina crossing? Or the Blue Water crossing in Sarnia?

I mean what does it matter? I have crossed the border hundreds of times at multiple crossings. Generally speaking the border agents act like border agents and I find no difference at YVR.

So I guess you haven't crossed the border at those 2 airports. Because they are obviously more friendly there. If you've ever been there you'd notice a difference.

Your logic is funny. So if I've had a bad experience it doesn't support the premise the YVR immigration are jerks. Even if I've had a hundred bad experiences. But because you've "crossed the border hundreds of times" your experience can counter the experience? I would think you either believe one person's experience doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of theme, meaning your experience is just as invalid as mine, or is it you believe your experience trumps anybody else's?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes actually in 2019 when I was staying in Port Huron. I drove over for cheap beer.

Oh you were being rhetorical. Carry on.
defrosted likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.