Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puffin Tours to Bird Islands off of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Puffin Tours to Bird Islands off of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

I've found reviews of such tours to see puffins and tours,by a couple of different companies, but nothing about how calm or rough the seas typically are (one review mentioned high winds preventing them from going for a few hours). I thought I saw one mention of the islands being a mile offshore, but they look further on maps. I get seasick. My wife does not, so would go regardless. Had no problem with killer whale tour in the San Juan Islands of Washington, but that was in more protected waters.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
What time of year are you going? The waters can get choppy but it's really weather dependant. Nice days during the summer you can find the ocean to be just lapping peacefully. I see some tours are offered around the penisula areas of the Bras D'Or lakes so that area is probably be a bit more calm too.

I'm sure the tour companies would give you a general idea of the waters if you contacted then.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radnub
What time of year are you going? The waters can get choppy but it's really weather dependant. Nice days during the summer you can find the ocean to be just lapping peacefully. I see some tours are offered around the penisula areas of the Bras D'Or lakes so that area is probably be a bit more calm too.

I'm sure the tour companies would give you a general idea of the waters if you contacted then.
Late June. I believe the tours from Bras d'Or go to the same Bird Islands as the tours from Londontown (?), though they advertise that they're closer. I have written to two tour operators, though I can't imagine them saying the seas are ever very bad.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:17 am

I would plan for some choppy waters once you get out to the islands but it's mostly weather-dependant. Perhaps you can wait until the day you want to go to buy your ticket so you can see how things look.

You're right about the distance - it looks like the tip of the islands are 2km out from the coast but the whole distance is probably 6km from shore...still not too bad!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:38 am
B1

It's the ocean. I went with a friend and enjoyed Witless Bay and the puffins. My friend was seasick the whole time. I didn't notice much of a chop - certainly not the kind of motion that would get to most people. Take a Gravol (Dramamine) before you go out if you're susceptible. I'd guess that if the sea is really rough the boats won't leave the port since it would be hard to look over the rail in rough water. The boat I was on also had a singer and some discussion of the local food specialties - both could induce a certain amount of nausea on dry land. I didn't see any Puffins when I went to Cape Breton so my advice is based on going to Newfoundland.

Last edited by B1; Mar 28, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I have no idea if Witless Bay is any worse. Could always reserve a seat for my wife and then try to get a seat for myself at the dock if conditions look good. I did okay on an Orca-watching trip in the San Juan Islands north of October, and whale-watching off of Maui, but on a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, which was supposed to be on a catamaran, we were switched to a solid hull boat, and boy, did I suffer.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

p.s. another option might be to go to Brier Island, also off of NS but in the Bay of Fundy, so, presumably, calmer waters. Some but smaller chance of puffins, but great chance of whales? I went on a Right whale cruise from Grand Manan Island several years ago.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:15 am
B1

I think that it would be worth the price of a Gravol to go on
Tour #1with O'Brien's (http://www.obriensboattours.com/ss/boat-tours) but avoid the brewis and cod tongues.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B1
Tour #1with O'Brien's (http://www.obriensboattours.com/ss/boat-tours) but avoid the brewis and cod tongues.
Getting over to Newfoundland would take a lot of extra time, wouldn't it? Still might be worth it, though without the cod tongues, what would be the point?

Right now leaning towards one of the Cape Breton tours. Brier Island tours sound interesting but, again, a lot of extra driving, and we want to allow time for a tides tour from Advocate Harbour and a visit to Cape Breton Highlands. And wife doesn't like to rush.

Last edited by SoCal; Mar 26, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:47 am
B1

Originally Posted by SoCal
Getting over to Newfoundland would take a lot of extra time, wouldn't it? Still might be worth it, though without the cod tongues, what would be the point?

Right now leaning towards one of the Cape Breton tours. Brier Island tours sound interesting but, again, a lot of extra driving, and we want to allow time for a tides tour from Advocate Harbour and a visit to Cape Breton Highlands. And wife doesn't like to rush.
I'd save the puffin tour for when you go to Newfoundland. Cape Breton has some interesting spots but the drive is not all that interesting. My all-time favorite place on Cape Breton is The Normaway Inn, 691 Egypt Rd, Margaree Valley. It is a lovely area - beautiful river, great food and great musicians. It's not on the coast and it is very special. There is a big old hotel, Keltic Lodge, on the east shore of northern Cape Breton that might be interesting as well. I stayed there and it's expensive but has an excellent location if you like the sea. The Alexander Graham Bell National Site is worth a visit.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by B1
I'd save the puffin tour for when you go to Newfoundland. Cape Breton has some interesting spots but the drive is not all that interesting. My all-time favorite place on Cape Breton is The Normaway Inn, 691 Egypt Rd, Margaree Valley. It is a lovely area - beautiful river, great food and great musicians. It's not on the coast and it is very special. There is a big old hotel, Keltic Lodge, on the east shore of northern Cape Breton that might be interesting as well. I stayed there and it's expensive but has an excellent location if you like the sea. The Alexander Graham Bell National Site is worth a visit.
I have to disagree about the drive! It's quite stunning and if you are into coastal drives there aren't many nicer places than the Cabot Trail to go.

I do agree that there are some hidden gems off the main loops through Cape Breton and the mainland and I encourage you to go explore off of the main highway when possible.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by B1
If you're genuinely interested in birds and whales in Witless Bay, I'd personally recommend Gatherall’s or even Mullowney's.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I looked at photos of Newfoundland, and it looks stunning, but if we go there we'd likely have to fly each way from Boston (with a change of planes each way), given the time it would take to drive even one way, using ferry to NS,etc. My wife would probably prefer to minimize flying. If we go to Nova Scotia we could fly one way and drive the other (I have looked into cost of one-way car rentals). If she doesn't want to fly at all we might stick to New Brunswick, and Maine. But Newfoundland certainly is tempting, with some of the photos I saw reminding me of Norway.

We aren't all that big of bird fans, but like seeing wildlife, and natural scenery, and my wife said she'd wanted to see puffins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.