canada gas math ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:04 am

80.9 in lots of locations
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Why Toronto is $1.00 CD per L ?

Why is Toronto gas at 1.00 L ?. Oil in mid 30's per barrel. Is it holiday uptick, Liberal tax plan, or just cheater stations.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jiatong
Why is Toronto gas at 1.00 L ?. Oil in mid 30's per barrel. Is it holiday uptick, Liberal tax plan, or just cheater stations.
The Wynner is calling the shots with all energy prices in Ontario!!!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:57 pm
B1

The oil price is in US dollars - it's not down in C$. As for pricing, there are not many competitors in the Canadian market and it's been established that there was sufficient demand at $1.30 per litre, so $1 is a deal. Of course taxes are higher in Canada for reasons that are well known.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Not sure what the "Liberal Tax plan" would have to do with it (I assume you are talking about the federal Liberals) as they haven't raised taxes on gas.

The thing I find interesting is the difference in the price of gas in southern Ontario. I live in Mississauga but work in Brantford (my wife works in Toronto and takes the GO to work in case anyone was wondering why I live and work where I do). The price of gas in Brantford is almost always about 5-7 cents a litre cheaper than in Toronto/Mississauga. I have no idea why this is the case.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:26 pm
B1

Originally Posted by gspurr
The price of gas in Brantford is almost always about 5-7 cents a litre cheaper than in Toronto/Mississauga. I have no idea why this is the case.
Brantford is closer to these locations and it might have an effect on more competitive pricing.
http://www.rezgas.com/results.php?area=festival
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by B1
Brantford is closer to these locations and it might have an effect on more competitive pricing.
I never considered this, but you might be correct. You do need to show a status card to buy gas on reservations, but I have heard that a small tip will cause the attendant to look the other way.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by B1
Originally Posted by gspurr
I never considered this, but you might be correct. You do need to show a status card to buy gas on reservations, but I have heard that a small tip will cause the attendant to look the other way.
I used to top up on HWY 45 at the Alderville First Nations Esso. They are usually 20% less than GTA pricing.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS
Why is it $1.22/L in Vancouver? I get our GVRD tax and all, but even out in the valley it is hovering around 1.12/L
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by kyden
Why is it $1.22/L in Vancouver? I get our GVRD tax and all, but even out in the valley it is hovering around 1.12/L
There's also a few other fairly significant taxes thrown in by the province, besides the 17¢ or so Translink tax (6.75¢ cents for BCTFA tax and 6.67¢ cents for and BC Carbon Tax). Not sure if Ontario (and others) have the same level of additional taxes added on by the govt? Or maybe demand is high enough here in the LMD that they can gouge us without fear of lost business..

In other news, the Burnaby Super Save gas station was priced around $1.12/$1.13 this morning..
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by kyden
Ding ding ding....we have a winner.

I don't get why those in YVR tolerate getting screwed on gas prices...literally screwed.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by mkjr
I don't get why those in YVR tolerate getting screwed on gas prices...literally screwed.
Literally? Really?

Anyway, gas prices are high in Canada compared to the US when the price of oil is low for the following reasons:

1. Higher taxes
2. The price is tied to the USD (the CAD is crappy and getting crappier)
3. Most importantly - Canadians just put up with it.

Example of 3:
All other things being equal...Oil goes up $20/barrel and gas price will increase in lock-step. Oil goes down $20/barrel and gas price will ever so slowly creep down, but never to the pre-$20 increase price. EVER. The fuel companies come up with all sorts of excuses for this behaviour and we just take it. Canadians just bend over and take it.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
US gas on the east coast is below $2.00 (New Jersey) , but in San Diego its $3.00 a gallon.
Waiting for the next oil price drop from $36.00 US a barrel. Then the loonie will be under 70 cents US, some say next year 65 cents. Some great CA travel deals if under 70 cents.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:11 pm

I'm doing a couple of long-distance trips per year, either within QC province and often to Ontario.

I've noticed that:
1) Within urban areas, the price is considerably higher (10-20ct higher than in the middle of nowhere). Property taxes in the cities?
2) Some stations within the city are consistently cheaper once prices are dropping again. Example in Montreal: the Maxi and Canadian Tire in Pointe-St-Charles (next to highway 15) can be as low as 1$ when on the other side of the Lachine canal the prices might easily be 10ct higher and on the other side of the city 15ct higher.
3) Costco often skips a price hike.

And you people should check out the app GasBuddy!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
We were down to 81.9 in Ottawa yesterday. I find it mind boggling how much the prices vary over the course of even one day from morning to night +/- 10 cents!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.