Minimum connection time @ YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I figured the AC crowd would know best about a Canadian airport

...what is the minimum recommended connection time on an international itinerary through YYZ in mid April? Specifically, AA flight arrives into YYZ @ 11:55pm from ORD, and we are connecting through to Cathay's YYZ-HKG longhaul @ 1:40am...Flying in biz on AA, F on Cathay. Is 90min enough time to clear immigration on a Friday night/Saturday morning in YYZ and then re-check in for the TPAC, wondering if Cathay even flies out of the same terminal as AA?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:36 pm

both fly out of terminal 3 http://www.torontopearson.com/en/fli...destinations/#

as far as time to clear, depends on number of charters arriving at same time.

1-1/2 hours should be enough time
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I figured the AC crowd would know best about a Canadian airport

...what is the minimum recommended connection time on an international itinerary through YYZ in mid April? Specifically, AA flight arrives into YYZ @ 11:55pm from ORD, and we are connecting through to Cathay's YYZ-HKG longhaul @ 1:40am...Flying in biz on AA, F on Cathay. Is 90min enough time to clear immigration on a Friday night/Saturday morning in YYZ and then re-check in for the TPAC, wondering if Cathay even flies out of the same terminal as AA?
Both fly out of T3... 90 minutes should be ample time to get through your checkpoints.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I come in on AA from MIA at this time and though I use NEXUS the customs arrival hall is so empty you can hear crickets chirping. I am surprised there is another flight on AA arriving at this time because I didn't see a soul. When you go out after customs exit the terminal is practically empty.

I don't know how long your bags will take but not that long. I checked bags once a few months ago and the bag came in about 10 minutes after I arrived at the carousel.

Then go up the first escalator you find as you are basically underneath the International departures area and CX is the only flight leaving that late.

F check-in for CX is fast as there are at most only 6 people using it and security is located right next to check-in and at that point is is just for that flight. I usually go around 11 p.m. and it is empty, but you will be behind a raft of (300 +/-) Y passengers who have been there since 11 p.m. or earlier so you might have a bit of a queue.

I don't think CX would leave an F passenger behind who has checked in and they have to be aware of the security volumes. On the plus side from 11-1215 they will have probably processed 3/4 of the passengers. When I arrive at 11 the Y check-in line is packed.

All that said I think 90 minutes is cutting it too close for AA arriving (or leaving ORD) on time to be frank. Not for YYZ but for AA you are giving them a lot of credit. I just changed a YYZ MIA reservation for Friday from the 830 flight to the 610 flight as they have been late every day for the last 3 days on the 830 and I would miss my connection.

Why would you post this in the AC forum for a AA/CX flight pair? This should be moved to the AA forum and there are lots of people there who know YYZ.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
For those experienced with the Toronto airport:

Flying in from WAW on LOT arriving YYZ at 5:20pm, connecting to an AC flight from YYZ-BOS at 6:15pm.

Is 55min enough time? Do I have to pick up bags and clear customs? I am also global entry for entering the US.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

Flying in from WAW on LOT arriving YYZ at 5:20pm, connecting to an AC flight from YYZ-BOS at 6:15pm.

Is 55min enough time? Do I have to pick up bags and clear customs? I am also global entry for entering the US.
As far as I remember you don't need to.

In any event, there is/are later flight/s to BOS.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Not a legal connection

Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         YYZ                          020 060 060 060  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L              TR        AREA                                 

LO               1                             --- --- --- 085  
AC               1         US                                   
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP

LOT arrives at T1 the international gates. It's about a 5-10 minute brisk walk along the automated walkway on to Canadian customs/US connection area. You head towards your left at customs hall towards US connections, take escalators up, scan your new YYZ-BOS BP, get stamped by a greeter, then go to GE machine to get through US customs; line here shouldn't be long. Then head to security lane with NEXUS/GE dedicated line. Around that time it's a crap shoot on the length; can be short on a weekend or long on a weekday. If you dress and pack efficiently you should clear security in 15 min and head to the YYZ-BOS gate.

I would advise you seat yourself towards front of the 787 to get off as early as possible. If you're in J, you'll be ok

LOT gate to GE kiosk at dedicated US connection: 10-15 min max
Security: 15 min max on NEXUS/GE lane
Security to YYZ-BOS gate: 5-10 min max

Should arrive at gate just around boarding time. All of the above assume your LOT flight arrives on time (early would be even better) and no checked bags!

I've been able to arrive from EU/Asia on AC, get through US connection and get cleared by standby on an earlier YYZ-LGA flight; gate to gate in 20-30 min.

Last edited by gtpdiddy; Jan 10, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

When flying intīl -> YYZ -> US you need to go through US pre-clearance at YYZ - Iīd strongly recommend against a 55min connection. If itīs all booked on one ticket (no idea how youīd do it since it īs under MCT) I wouldnīt worry too much since AC will rebook you, but otherwise Iīd choose a (much) longer connection.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
When flying intīl -> YYZ -> US you need to go through US pre-clearance at YYZ - Iīd strongly recommend against a 55min connection. If itīs all booked on one ticket (no idea how youīd do it since it īs under MCT) I wouldnīt worry too much since AC will rebook you, but otherwise Iīd choose a (much) longer connection.
I was planning on booking this on a crazy ATH-WAW-YYZ-BOS itinerary using United miles for biz class.

So 55min is not legal? Does this mean United won't let me book this? (off topic, sorry)

Second, what is the later AC flight to BOS? The latest I see is the 6:15pm on the United.com award booking site.

Last edited by BostonFlyer1624; Jan 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was planning on booking this on a crazy ATH-WAW-YYZ-BOS itinerary using United miles for biz class.

So 55min is not legal? Does this mean United won't let me book this? (off topic, sorry)

Second, what is the later AC flight to BOS? I dont see anything.
Indeed, a qualified UA agent wouldnīt let you book the connection (I donīt know how sophisticated the UA system is in flagging illegal connections, but it certainly isnīt legal). Thereīs an AC flight YYZ-BOS that departs at 8.25p.m. (AC7390), but it may not have availability that day using miles.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:59 am

Usually they have in YYZ special line for Connecting flights I have use it when I fly to YYZ from International to National. If this is your case, use the this line so custom will be faster, I dont know how works for USA airlines but with Canadians Airlines when Im connecting from International to National flight, after custom when I pick up my suitcase fallow conections arrow and drop it in the belt, and then go to the 2nd. floor for the security check point and no needs to check in again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.