Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

do flights from Regina, Canada pre-clear US immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:27 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Just curious as I may be going there soon...

Does this airport participate in (what I understand is) the pre-clearance of US immigration, so the flight is counted as domestic when arriving in the US, like through Denver?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
"Regina International Airport does not meet the outlined passenger requirements to offer pre-clearance for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Therefore, if you are on a transborder flight, you will clear U.S. Customs at your destination airport (i.e. Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, Phoenix or Las Vegas)."

source
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It doesn't. You clear when you arrive in the US - like most international flights, and unlike flights from bigger Canadian airports.

In fact, came back from Mex on Monday, and my baggage belt in ORD T5 was shared with the flight arriving from Regina. Didn't see the aircraft, but seems odd to think of a CR2 docking at a T5 gate.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:30 pm
TA
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
for your info, here's a list of locations that have pre-clearance: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Alas, no preclearance. You clear in Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. - wherever you land.

It's a fairly small airport, pretty easy to navigate. Only eight gates and, I think, ten jetways. Unless your flight departs at 6 am (when a huge bottleneck ensues), clearing security is a pretty straightforward process without great delays.

What brings you to Regina?

Jim
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
In fact, came back from Mex on Monday, and my baggage belt in ORD T5 was shared with the flight arriving from Regina. Didn't see the aircraft, but seems odd to think of a CR2 docking at a T5 gate.
It's true. I've done it.

The oddest sensation I've had was arriving at DEN from YQR on a CR7, pulling up beside a gigantic Lufthansa A340 (I think). We looked miniscule. It would have been even funnier if we'd been on a CR2.

There are other Canadian airports that have the same situation. YYT and YXE come to mind.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:54 am
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Alas, no preclearance. You clear in Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. - wherever you land.

It's a fairly small airport, pretty easy to navigate. Only eight gates and, I think, ten jetways. Unless your flight departs at 6 am (when a huge bottleneck ensues), clearing security is a pretty straightforward process without great delays.

What brings you to Regina?

Jim
Oh, the only thing that brings people to Regina I think -- working for someone who's in the industry of digging things out of the ground....

I did my first flight back through Denver just recently -- what a terrible long walk from the gate to immigration! It made me think of the awful walk at one of the remote LHR gates, it was so bad.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Oh, the only thing that brings people to Regina I think -- working for someone who's in the industry of digging things out of the ground....
I was flying home to YQR from FLL in May and the fellow in front of me had these huge sample cases. I got to talking to him about his luggage and eventually asked him where he was flying. "Western Canada", he said. "Alberta?" I said. "Saskatchewan", he said. Turns out he was on exact itinerary to YQR via ORD.

Not sure what the odds are of that in an airport like FLL, but not high.

Anyway, people come up here for all sorts of reasons aside from mining ... but probably not too many tourists come this time of year. I have friends in Tampa who come up here a lot this time of year, but only because one of them was raised here and his parents are here.

Glad you had a safe trip.

Jim

PS - It is a long, long walk from the gates in Denver to the Customs people - at least it was the one time I've flown that route. I used GE when I flew through ORD so I don't know how long the walk is there; GE was short and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.