Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help me find a hotel in Montreal!

Old Dec 6, 11, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...

I'm still planning to go to Ottawa and Montreal in February, and I'm having trouble deciding on a hotel in the latter. I'm still going to be Marriott Platinum by proxy, but I don't want to stay at a Residence Inn or Springhill Suites by myself (seems pointless to put one person in a suite) and I don't like Chateau Champlain. (I'm thinking I'll be at the Courtyard in Ottawa, once I figure out when I'm actually leaving for Canada.)

Here are my specs:

- nights of February 10/11, 2012.
- close to the Place des Arts, or at least downtown.
- safe for a single female who appears to be in her mid-20s and speaks really bad French because she was a Spanish major.
- all non-smoking.
- preferably less than $150 CDN a night before taxes.
- includes breakfast/close to Tim Horton's (that last part really won't be too hard).

And I don't want to stay at the Hyatt Regency around the corner from the Place des Arts. I stayed there once, back when it was a Wyndham, and it was creepy.
Old Dec 7, 11, 1:53 pm
B1

You can get the kind of information you want on Tripadvisor. I don't know of any hotel in an area of downtown Montreal or Ottawa where there should be a concern for safety. The Residence Inn in downtown Montreal is very well located and has a nice breakfast. I never heard that having a room that's too big was a problem.
As for Ottawa, forget the Marriotts. If you like a small but very elegant room in a good location, choose the ARC. The Fairmount Chateau Laurier would be the most interesting place at the very high end. The Lord Elgin has a nice location and is a bit more reasonable.
Old Dec 8, 11, 12:43 am
Original Poster

I've already been looking at tripadvisor and I don't necessarily trust them; it might be from talking to you guys and it might be from other things I've read.

I'm attending two concerts, one at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa and one at the Place des Arts in Montreal. The Ottawa Residence Inn is actually a block and a half away from the NAC, but I quite frankly hate Residence Inns because I always get stuck in the pull-out couches, and I'd feel bad taking up an entire suite anyway. I'd love to stay at the Chateau Laurier and/or la Reine Elizabeth, so I think I'll check those out. I guess I'm heading to the Fairmont forums next.
Old Dec 8, 11, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I've stayed at the Embassy Suites, which is at the edge of Old Town and within walking distance of Place Des Arts. Not sure if you can get the sub $150 rate you're looking for, but it's an excellent property with a good free breakfast (custom prepared omelettes and other good stuff) and clean, comfortable suites. The recommendations for it that you'll read on TripAdvisor are on target (I wrote one of them).
Old Dec 8, 11, 9:19 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome View Post
I'm still planning to go to Ottawa and Montreal in February, and I'm having trouble deciding on a hotel in the latter. I'm still going to be Marriott Platinum by proxy, but I don't want to stay at a Residence Inn or Springhill Suites by myself (seems pointless to put one person in a suite) and I don't like Chateau Champlain. (I'm thinking I'll be at the Courtyard in Ottawa, once I figure out when I'm actually leaving for Canada.)

Here are my specs:

- nights of February 10/11, 2012.
- close to the Place des Arts, or at least downtown.
- safe for a single female who appears to be in her mid-20s and speaks really bad French because she was a Spanish major.
- all non-smoking.
- preferably less than $150 CDN a night before taxes.
- includes breakfast/close to Tim Horton's (that last part really won't be too hard).

And I don't want to stay at the Hyatt Regency around the corner from the Place des Arts. I stayed there once, back when it was a Wyndham, and it was creepy.
Jetsetter has Le Saint-Sulpice Montreal for your dates:

http://www.jetsetter.com/sale/lesain...lyviewed1&cl=1

$125+tax in Old Montreal, good reviews on Tripadvisor. You can PM me if you need a jet setter invite.
Old Dec 12, 11, 5:53 pm

kayak. com has Hotel de la Montagne just off Ste. Catherines for about $306 for your nights all-in. It's about a 15 minute walk to Place des Arts right down Ste. Catherines, which is very safe day and night.

I always stay there even though it is older because of large, well-equipped rooms and its proximity to both the shopping on Ste. Catherines (Ogilvies for high fashion a la Montreal is practically next door) and the night life of Crescent Street, which you can access from the back of the lobby of the hotel.

Don't worry about your French or lack thereof as almost everyone in that area will speak and/or understand English.
Old Dec 15, 11, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Montreal this summer, in a club room - it was great. Very safe, staff very responsive, breakfast, evening snacks and bar for a couple of hours in the evening. Not sure on rates, but I know Montreal does buy one get half off the second night during winter if you wanted another day to see more of the city.
Old Dec 16, 11, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I just found a "buy one, get half off the second night" ad in the Boston Metro of all places, through tourisme-montreal.org.

I now have to wait until next week to even think of booking due to a possible change in plans. At least flight prices have gone down $100 US and will hopefully go down more before the middle of January.

Search this Thread