Wiki Posts
Search

Secondary Security Check in YYZ

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2MM, Lifetime E75K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Secondary Security Check in YYZ

Is it just me or a coincidence that for the past 5 weeks clearing domestic security in YYZ, I was randomly tagged for a secondary search 4 times? Although I travel every week, I have rarely been tagged for secondary search (and no, I did not have 'SSSSS' printed on my boarding pass) until now, but lately it seems to be stepped up. It happens when entering the metal detector and it 'randomly' goes off to alert TSA to perform a secondary search.

Have others seen the same?
Old May 6, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by dave0823
Is it just me or a coincidence that for the past 5 weeks clearing domestic security in YYZ, I was randomly tagged for a secondary search 4 times? Although I travel every week, I have rarely been tagged for secondary search (and no, I did not have 'SSSSS' printed on my boarding pass) until now, but lately it seems to be stepped up. It happens when entering the metal detector and it 'randomly' goes off to alert TSA to perform a secondary search.

Have others seen the same?
TSA at YYZ? Does this mean the US finally annexed Canada?
Old May 6, 2011, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payam81
Ever heard of Harper?
Old May 6, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by dave0823
It happens when entering the metal detector and it 'randomly' goes off to alert TSA to perform a secondary search.
I have never heard of the metal detectors going off randomly. Did you get new shoes? I used to leave mine on through domestic security, then got new shoes that set off the detector, so in the trays they went from then on, and no more trouble.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC E50k, Hilton HHonors, Novotel Aclub
I saw this in YVR domestic last week. The metal detector chirped in a different tone when the passenger in front of me went thru. Overheard CATSA screener advise that the machine had randomly selected him for additional screening, and he underwent the (brief) secondary screening.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:46 am

Last week in Moncton when I was pulled aside for more screening in response to my aside 'what metal did I miss this time' the screener said 'You were OK, the computer randomly selected you for additional inspection'.
Old May 7, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
I know, I meant CATSA, and I was waiting for someone to correct
Old May 7, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by Ew/oQ
Last week in Moncton when I was pulled aside for more screening in response to my aside 'what metal did I miss this time' the screener said 'You were OK, the computer randomly selected you for additional inspection'.
There is nothing 'random' about the secondary searches, despite what CATSA tries to tell you. Some are selected because they meet some target requirements for additional attention; others are selected from non-target groups to make it appear that there is no targeting.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
'Random' selection is routine at YOW

I haven't seen this at YYZ, but at YOW all passengers must stand on a 'magic mat' that determines whether they are sent to a normal screening line or the pat-down/full body scan line.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
I have also had this happen quite frequently in the last few months. It's interesting how sometimes the screening ends up being quite haphazard as they know full well there is nothing to be found since nothing alarmed in any way. I always figure I'm the one that gets targeted to show there's no targeting.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lucinka
I have also had this happen quite frequently in the last few months. It's interesting how sometimes the screening ends up being quite haphazard as they know full well there is nothing to be found since nothing alarmed in any way. I always figure I'm the one that gets targeted to show there's no targeting.
I absolutely agree with your statement! Getting tagged 4 times out of 5 is getting somewhat ridicules. It always seems that those who travel frequently and know the routine are selected when those who travel infrequently are not selected.

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Did this happen going through one of the regular lanes or through the NEXUS fast track lane? Could be a new routine, but seems rather redundant now that they have the scatter scanners which should be used for any such "secondaries", or even primaries.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I haven't seen this at YYZ, but at YOW all passengers must stand on a 'magic mat' that determines whether they are sent to a normal screening line or the pat-down/full body scan line.
The transborder security line at YYZ uses this mat, it's been that way for about a year and a half now. Priority pass line doesn't use the mat.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
The transborder security line at YYZ uses this mat, it's been that way for about a year and a half now. Priority pass line doesn't use the mat.
That mat in fact insulates you from the rebar in the floor's concrete, which used to set off too many false alarms in the wands.

Whether you're going domestic or X-border, they have them all across this country. It was only a CATSA guy at YYG who took the time to tell me why they have these rubber mats.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Did this happen going through one of the regular lanes or through the NEXUS fast track lane? Could be a new routine, but seems rather redundant now that they have the scatter scanners which should be used for any such "secondaries", or even primaries.
This happened at the domestic connecting security gate (second flr) in YYZ, using the priority lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.