Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ Domestic Security Entrance - Nexus line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ Domestic Security Entrance - Nexus line?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cyan

Otherwise, it's just like a regular security line, but with far fewer passengers. I've also noticed that passengers using the NEXUS line tend to be far more efficient at the whole "remove stuff from bags, step through scanner, retrieve on other side" bit.
The other benefit of the Nexus Security lines, is you only have to show your boarding pass and Nexus card to the person at the podium... then you can put it away. You don't have to show it to the screener before you bag goes though the scanner, and in my dozen times using the lines in YOW and YYZ have never had to have my bags hand searched... even when leaving liquids and electronics that often cause confusion in my bags...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:04 pm

In my experience using the Nexus security line last week, they asked for nexus cards for each traveler, including any companions. However, they also allowed a random passenger waiting in a much longer regular line to use the Nexus line when it had no one else waiting in it. YMMV depending on the security person supervising the Nexus line at the time.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Anyone know if one can bring a non-NEXUS companion through the YYZ priority security lane?
The answer was "no" at the NEXUS security lane in YOW.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
The NEXUS-lady at YYZ knows me quite well! I loooove the NEXUS line. I am disappointed, however, that YYC still doesn't have any sort of priority line-up, when YEG & YWG already do...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
The NEXUS-lady at YYZ knows me quite well! I loooove the NEXUS line. I am disappointed, however, that YYC still doesn't have any sort of priority line-up, when YEG & YWG already do...
+1000 to that.

"I'm a Nexus holding, Elite flying in J, where do I go?"
"Right behind those 200 other folks going on the 6-8am flights."
"Sigh"
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I guess Calgary is not yet the centre of the universe (ducking! )
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by B1
People with Nexus cards have been screened by immigration and police authorities and have been cleared, scanned and finger-printed. They also have to maintain their good record to keep their Nexus status. This makes them a better bet for security as well as immigration. It is nice that this is being recognized with the separate security line as well as the speedy border check. There is a Nexus information thread on this forum where all these issues have been discussed.
This would make sense if they let you skip the x-ray machine entirely. What logic is there to all this pre-checking letting you skip the queue though? That only helps you, not the security process. It's not like they're taking advantage of all the prescreening to save time, labour, and money rechecking that you're not a terrorist after they've already done all this paperwork.

I'm annoyed that they're turning Nexus into a domestic priority thing because Nexus comes with all kinds of silly requirements to please the US that aren't relevant to domestic flights. Why would being a resident of the US or Canada for the last 3 years be relevant to being eligible for skipping the queue?

It's annoying that holding my Canadian passport I'm ineligible for Nexus even if I paid the fee and jump through the interview hoops. But the UK let me sign up on the spot for IRIS for free when I'm not even resident there any more.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta/Gold
Nexus security line is GREAT both at YYZ and YUL!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Anyone know if one can bring a non-NEXUS companion through the YYZ priority security lane? That would be in line with other types of priority security allowances.
Just tested this! Brought my sister through the YYZ security lane for NEXUS. As this was on our way to the US, the security spit us out at border services where you have to split up. Saved us probably 15 minutes of waiting in the security line (plus the other advantages like leaving your coat on and your liquids in your bag), but I've waited about 15 minutes so far for her to clear border services. Helps a bit!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
This week, I encountered a new problem with NEXUS at YOW. According to staff, the x ray machine is broken and will take 6 weeks to repair.
Each time, I encounter an issue at YOW security, I notify CATSA. The canned reply says it takes 3 to 5 biz days to respond!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.