Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ Domestic Security Entrance - Nexus line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE

Hey folks,

So I was at the YYZ on Sunday and noticed a few things:
- CATSA staff enforcing the Priority line on the far left for SE/E and Amex folks. (Me thinks Yay!)

- There was another priority line at the far right with another CATSA agent standing at a podium who was also screening for priority travellers. (Me thinks Yay? Confused travellers having to cut across the plebian lines to reach the 2nd priority security screening line. Doesn't seem well thought out.)

- I also noticed at the very far, far right, there was also a Nexus sign with it's own queue set up albeit with no one in that line. So in regards to the Nexus sign and line, what is it for? There is no customs/immigration screening to cross since it's security for domestic flights. Does it mean for those who have a Nexus card can just jump to the front of the line or are there changes coming up with the priority security screening?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yodayoda
Does it mean for those who have a Nexus card can just jump to the front of the line?
Presumably yes - YOW has had something similar for a while.

Too bad - this may just encourage more people to get Nexus cards then we'll be lining up for the machines.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
I took advantage of this last week. Walked up to the security line at YYZ, noticed that it was backed up with people several rows deep. Nobody at the NEXUS line. Walked over there with NEXUS card and boarding pass in hand, got through faster than even the 'priority' line.

A few weeks before that, waiting patiently in one of the slow security lines at YYZ, and one of the CATSA dragons begins yelling about how the line's closing and we should disperse to other lines. "Forget this", I say, and stroll over to the NEXUS line with card in hand. Through not a minute later.

It's amazing how NEXUS has become a priority card, and how effective it really is. Priority at YYZ and YEG at least, and probably elsewhere, too.

-RS.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:11 pm

Hey folks,
- I also noticed at the very far, far right, there was also a Nexus sign with it's own queue set up albeit with no one in that line. So in regards to the Nexus sign and line, what is it for? There is no customs/immigration screening to cross since it's security for domestic flights. Does it mean for those who have a Nexus card can just jump to the front of the line or are there changes coming up with the priority security screening?
Yup. They are currently running a trial program in YYZ, YUL and YOW where Nexus members have priority screening for domestic and international flights (NOT transborder).

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/PressRelease....r=2010&lang=en
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Yup - just saw the line in YYZ yesterday... No line-up at all!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
It's awesome! I have used Nexus line at YYZ and YOW a few times now. I don't have a tremendous amount of travel to US, but this feature tipped the scales on my decision to get a card.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Originally Posted by rehoult
Hey folks,
Yup. They are currently running a trial program in YYZ, YUL and YOW where Nexus members have priority screening for domestic and international flights (NOT transborder).

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/PressRelease....r=2010&lang=en
Drives me a bit nuts that they're doing this as I try not to carry my Nexus card unless I'm leaving Canada. Just in case something happens I'd hate to lose it but being approved for Nexus doesn't really have much to do with priority security. Oh well, seems odd to have a line restricted to just US/Canadian citizens.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Platinum/Ambassador, Marriott Platinum
The YYZ Nexus line is awesome. The YUL domestic Nexus line, however, has an unfortunate quirk where, after clearing, you have to stand in security line #2. Even if you identify yourself as an E/SE, if you show them your Nexus, you must stand in security line #2.

The reason it's quirky is that folks in the non-priority line are also queued for security line #2 (so no special security screening or treatment as I suspect there's for the YYZ Nexus).

The reason it's unfortunate is that sometime the regular J class/E/SE (security line #1) is shorter but you're not allowed to use it after showing your Nexus.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:29 pm

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
Used the NEXUS line westbound to YVR on 28 June and it was almost hassle-free. I say 'almost', because there were a number of **off-duty** RCMP members also being sent to that line, and the line dragon kept pulling them ahead of me. After the eighth such pull-by I asked whether I would **ever** be allowed to clear security, which caused the RCMP member about to push by me to stop, apologise (quite genuinely, in my opinion) and suggest to the dragon that I be allowed to enter the screening area.

So, a few bugs yet to be worked out, but on the whole, the potential is there for it to be handy.

p.s. (a happy p.s.....): made early Elite in mid-June. Got the e-mail; wondering wistfully when I will actually see the mailing with the certs?

/Mevlannen
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Cyan
It's amazing how NEXUS has become a priority card, and how effective it really is. Priority at YYZ and YEG at least, and probably elsewhere, too.
Anyone know if one can bring a non-NEXUS companion through the YYZ priority security lane? That would be in line with other types of priority security allowances. The question is, is this an actual trusted traveler checkpoint, or merely a perk unrelated to screening procedures? If it's the former, I could see any parties with non-NEXUS members not being allowed.

Also, is this benefit actually restricted to Canadian NEXUS members, or just being marketed to them? What if I'm a dual citizen?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
The question is, is this an actual trusted traveler checkpoint, or merely a perk unrelated to screening procedures?
It may be. Passengers using the domestic NEXUS line (at least, at YYZ) skip the "DDR" phase of screening (i.e., step on the mat, go where the arrow tells you to go.) Which means you would never be randomly selected to go through the 'slow/full body scanner' lane.

Otherwise, it's just like a regular security line, but with far fewer passengers. I've also noticed that passengers using the NEXUS line tend to be far more efficient at the whole "remove stuff from bags, step through scanner, retrieve on other side" bit.

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Also, is this benefit actually restricted to Canadian NEXUS members, or just being marketed to them? What if I'm a dual citizen?
If you've got a NEXUS card, then you're good to go. As far as I understand it, NEXUS is only available to citizens of the United States or Canada. Having dual citizenship, perhaps you're entitled to *two* cards?

-RS.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by analyyzer
The YYZ Nexus line is awesome.
+1!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:57 am

Most Nexus cardholders on FT are probably E/SE, Presumably they can use the priority line anyways?

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Drives me a bit nuts that they're doing this as I try not to carry my Nexus card unless I'm leaving Canada. Just in case something happens I'd hate to lose it but being approved for Nexus doesn't really have much to do with priority security. Oh well, seems odd to have a line restricted to just US/Canadian citizens.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by doesun
Most Nexus cardholders on FT are probably E/SE, Presumably they can use the priority line anyways?
Sad thing about most of the priority lines at YYZ is often (most of the time?) they are closed ... seems the minions of security cannot be bothered ...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:40 pm
B1

Nexus provides a background check

People with Nexus cards have been screened by immigration and police authorities and have been cleared, scanned and finger-printed. They also have to maintain their good record to keep their Nexus status. This makes them a better bet for security as well as immigration. It is nice that this is being recognized with the separate security line as well as the speedy border check. There is a Nexus information thread on this forum where all these issues have been discussed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.