Wiki Posts
Search

Border crossing requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Border crossing requirements?

Easy question. What are the current rules regarding driving a car into and out of Canada? Is it must have a passport, or will a birth certificate, social security card, and picture ID suffice?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
When I crossed in February I was asked for my passport on each side of the border. Unless you have a NEXUS card you'll have to show your passport, no other documents are accepted (or even asked for in my case).
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:20 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Visiting Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

Since driving out of Canada presumably means driving into the United States: http://travel.state.gov

The exact answers depend on your citizenship and residency status.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you are Canadian citizen or PR then the origin of your car's registration comes into play upon entry to Canada.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Pasport or passport card.

If renting a car make sure they know you will be driving cross border.

If driving your own car ask your insurance agent for a yellow Candian insurance card. I didn't know about this till living in Buffalo. The insurance company just mailed me the yellow insurance card for when we traveled to Canada. Might not be an absolute must, but good to have in anything should happen.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Elola
When I crossed in February I was asked for my passport on each side of the border. Unless you have a NEXUS card you'll have to show your passport, no other documents are accepted (or even asked for in my case).
Some states (WA, NY, MI, VT) issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses that can also be used for land or water crossing into Canada and Mexico, or water crossings to the Caribbean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...vel_Initiative
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I didn't know about the yellow insurance card for Canada

I will be needing it in a few months for a trip to Montreal

thanks
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:54 pm

Canadian law has not changed. That is, US citizens still do not legally require a passport in order to be admitted to Canada. In practice, however, a WHTI-compliant document (generally a passport, Nexus card, passport card, or enhanced driver's licence) would be expected.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:02 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread in the Canada forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:29 am
B1

Car insurance

The interprovincial insurance card is a piece of paper that comes with a renewal of a Canadian auto insurance policy and is required to be in the vehicle as proof that the car is insured. Anyone driving in Canada needs that sort of proof but this would only be in an issue in an accident or if there was some police question about ownership. Every US insurance company has access to giving these to its policyholders at no charge - it might be even be useful while you drive in the US as proof of insurance. It is necessary to have a passport (or equivalent) to re-enter the US. So whatever you are bringing to get into Canada is not different. Effectively, Canada wants you to be able to get home so the border agents like to check before admitting you.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by B1
The interprovincial insurance card is a piece of paper that comes with a renewal of a Canadian auto insurance policy and is required to be in the vehicle as proof that the car is insured. Anyone driving in Canada needs that sort of proof but this would only be in an issue in an accident or if there was some police question about ownership. Every US insurance company has access to giving these to its policyholders at no charge - it might be even be useful while you drive in the US as proof of insurance. It is necessary to have a passport (or equivalent) to re-enter the US. So whatever you are bringing to get into Canada is not different. Effectively, Canada wants you to be able to get home so the border agents like to check before admitting you.
US insurance companies issue insurance cards to policyholders. There is an actual yellow colored card for US insurance companies to give to their policyholders driving in Canada. It might not be an absolute requirement but could make things easier if needed.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

"Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.