Community
Wiki Posts
Search

finally going to the states! honeymoon in California

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I honestly cannot tell whether you are trying to be funny or, if so, how. I assure you I am making no jokes.

My advice to prepare for 15 C weather is not to say it will be that cool but that it merely might be. It's better to pack a light jacket and not need it than to come expecting beach weather and be shivering.

L.A. will be warmer than the Central Coast and San Francisco. In L.A. I would expect daytime temperatures at the end of February to range from highs of about 20 C right along the coast to 30 C well inland. Rain is much less likely than further north.

Again, I am being completely candid about this.
am not trying to be funny.. this trip was supposed to be in Jan, but i postponed it to End of Feb because i dont get along with cold weather..

plus i really want to rent a convertible and drive it along highway 1.. going Down from SF to LA then to LV.

as for cloths. i will always keep a light jacket. hopefully i wont need any rain boots.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
We've been known to have cold spells Los Angeles, especially in the valleys, i.e., Universal City, between November and March when the daily highs were around 10 - 12 C and it got right down to freezing temperatures at night.
hopefully those cold spells take a brake this year!!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jdmlove
... plus i really want to rent a convertible and drive it along highway 1.. ...
Please reconsider this. In April, maybe but I would not recommend it in February.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Please reconsider this. In April, maybe but I would not recommend it in February.
even in LA?? i really want to drive a convertible in LA (in march) roads.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think pretty much everyone in the entire state of California is hoping it rains slow and steady all winter. Sorry if that will spoil your trip, but we are desperate here!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jdmlove
even in LA?? i really want to drive a convertible in LA (in march) roads.
You have some serious misconceptions about the weather in Southern California; the average high temperature in Los Angeles in March is 18 C and the average low is 9 C. The average rainfall for the month is 71 mm.

You can find more information here:
If you have your heart set on driving a convertible (with the top down), I suggest that you visit here in April or May.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TWA884
You have some serious misconceptions about the weather in Southern California; the average high temperature in Los Angeles in March is 18 C and the average low is 9 C. The average rainfall for the month is 71 mm.

You can find more information here:
If you have your heart set on driving a convertible (with the top down), I suggest that you visit here in April or May.
One winter I went home from Toronto to Los Angeles for a week or so. I think this was in February. A friend from Toronto came for a few days, and I showed him around some of my favorite places.

At the end of his visit, he said "I'll always remember Los Angeles as being rainy." With good reason, as it was drizzling or misty the whole time he was there.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm old enough to remember how the weather fouled up Queen Elizabeth's visit to California in March 1983.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

bye bye convertible.. i guess i will rent a kia.. and spare the money to choose better hotels
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
If you want to drive a convertible, rent a convertible. Don't let the long range weather forecast scare you off. I've owned convertibles for the past 10 years in California and driven them all 52 weeks of each year. It's true that you won't want to put the top down if it's rainy, but cool weather is not that much of a problem. I've driven my convertibles past 4' snow drifts in the mountains!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
If you want to drive a convertible, rent a convertible. Don't let the long range weather forecast scare you off. I've owned convertibles for the past 10 years in California and driven them all 52 weeks of each year. It's true that you won't want to put the top down if it's rainy, but cool weather is not that much of a problem. I've driven my convertibles past 4' snow drifts in the mountains!
i know some days i can open the top.. but i wont pay for 20 days just open it in one or 2 days!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the daily cost differential I'd say the money would be much better spent on better hotels.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Disneyland and Universal Studios are 40 minutes away from each other under the best of circumstances, so you might want to rethink your conditions.

Agree. I'd give it more like 1.5 hrs. Wouldn't try to do both in one day.
If you want more of a "Studio Tour" Warner Bro's Tour is more interesting
for many of my guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.