Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

finally going to the states! honeymoon in California

Old Jul 23, 15, 9:25 am
Original Poster

hi everybody!

we are planing to spend our honey moon in California in March 2016.. this is our first time in the united states, we just got our visa. we made plan and i will share it with you for more advice and opinions

1- arrive in San Francisco and stay for 4 days
2- in our last day in SF we rent a car early morning and drive through highway one
3- my plan in highway one:
-drive from SF to Santa cruz ( will pass by Point Montara Lighthouse) & stay in santa cruz for few hours (broad walk, red forest)
- then continue driving to Monterey and stay one night, next day morning have breakfast and walk around..
- then drive to HEARST Castle and go to the castle tour then stay another night in San luis Obsipo.
- then drive from San Luis Obsipo till LA.

- stay in LA for 1 week, during this one week will make one day trip to Orange county.
- then drive to LAS vegas and stay for 5 days.

my questions:
-while driving from Monterrey o Hurst castle, i will pass by big sur, i just want to see beautiful views in big sur, how many hours i will need? will i have to drive far from highway 1 to go little bit inside big sur?

-where should i stay in San Luis obsipo? or do you guyz recommend another place to spend the night?

-the highway1 go through these cities (Santa Cruz, Monterey, big sur, san simion & San Luis Obsipo)? or i will have to drive in another road from highway1 to reach these cities?
Old Jul 23, 15, 9:36 am

very nice plan!

- stay in LA for 1 week, during this one week will make one day trip to Orange county.
what will you do in LA for 1 week?

-while driving from Monterrey o Hurst castle, i will pass by big sur, i just want to see beautiful views in big sur, how many hours i will need?
maybe 1-2hours round trip? you'll see nice landscapes from the car, but I think it's worth stopping and doing a 30min-1hr walk around to enjoy it even more. just stop whenever you see 5-6 cars parked, usually there's a trail nearby.

-the highway1 go through these cities (Santa Cruz, Monterey, big sur, san simion & San Luis Obsipo)? or i will have to drive in another road from highway1 to reach these cities?
if you're visiting CA, stay on the 1/101 the whole time
Old Jul 23, 15, 9:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jdmlove View Post
-where should i stay in San Luis obsipo? or do you guyz recommend another place to spend the night?
Cambria and Pismo Beach are more picturesque than San Luis Obispo.

I'd spend more time driving Highway One, at least one and preferably two more days than you plan, and fewer days visiting Los Angeles.

Take a look at this thread:
Highway 1 from SF to LA
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by switchyj View Post
very nice plan!

what will you do in LA for 1 week?

maybe 1-2hours round trip? you'll see nice landscapes from the car, but I think it's worth stopping and doing a 30min-1hr walk around to enjoy it even more. just stop whenever you see 5-6 cars parked, usually there's a trail nearby.

if you're visiting CA, stay on the 1/101 the whole time
1- 1 week in LA.. hmm universal studios, disney, long beach, walk of fame, few outlets, drive in the Angeles crest.. and cruising around!

2- what do you mean by 1 or 2 hours round trip.. u meant that once i reach big sur i have to drive 1 or 2 hours to see inside big sur?

3- will 1 & 101 will take me even inside these cities? or i will have to leave those highways sometime?
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you can time your drive down the coast so you are staying in hotels Sunday -Thursday nights, you will find better prices on hotels. They double or more on Fri/Sat.

What is your price range for hotels? I can give you some recommendations in the Monterey and SLO areas.

I would suggest taking an extra day or two on your drive down the coast and cutting those days from LA and Vegas. I'd definitely recommend a day or two in Santa Barbara.
Old Jul 23, 15, 11:23 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I agree with others that a better plan is to take 1 or 2 days from your LA week and make your drive down Highway 1 slower. Spend more time in and around Monterey. Perhaps visit the aquarium, or take the 17-mile scenic drive. Visit toney Carmel, where actor/director Clint Eastwood was mayor a few years back and the art galleries and shops make for interesting, albeit expensive, shopping or just great window gazing. The centuries-old mission at Carmel makes for a great visit. A few minutes south of Carmel is the California State Park at Point Lobos. Point Lobos has an entry fee but offers the best scenery and picnic areas on the coast. You could easily enjoy 2 nights in Monterey.

Yes, Monterey, Big Sur and Hearst Castle (actually located at San Simeon) are right on Highway 1 - also known as the Pacific Coast Highway or PCH. I would recommend driving slow and stopping often to get out of the car and enjoy the views or other attractions between Monterey and San Simeon - easily an all-day adventure. There are quirky little shops and restaurants all through Big Sur and many spots to stop and enjoy world-class viewpoints. If you are into hiking, Big Sur has great short to medium trails. Once you descend back down to sea level from Big Sur, the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery makes a good stop.

The various tours of Hearst Castle take several hours each. You will have to park in the parking lot at the bottom of the hill, buy tour tickets and take the shuttle bus up to the castle for the tour. You can reserve advance tickets on-line and I recommend that as the tours are very popular and often sell out. I'd suggest spending the night in San Simeon, Cambria or Morro Bay and taking the tour in the morning instead of rushing through the best scenery on the west coast in order to make it for a late afternoon tour. After a morning tour, you could easily drive to San Luis Obispo (away from the shore by a few miles), Pismo Beach, Avila Beach or Santa Barbara (all located right on the coast.) Avila is my favorite spot to stay but all have their charms. Santa Barbara is beautiful but pricey.

http://hearstcastle.org/tour-hearst-castle/daily-tours/

If you decide to get away from the coast for a night in San Luis Obispo, Atascadero or Paso Robles, there are wine tours and tastings all over the nearby hills. Hotels will have information or use the county map: http://www.slowine.com/taste/.

Please slow down and enjoy our Pacific Coast instead of driving fast just to cover the miles without stops or enjoyment. One or two less days in smoggy, crowded LA would allow you to better enjoy the cream of your trip on the coast.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 23, 15 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 23, 15, 11:45 am

I think 5 days in Vegas is too long. May be check out some national parks in Utah instead but it's just my opinion.
Old Jul 23, 15, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
A few comments about Santa Cruz.

1) The Boardwalk is basically an amusement park with free admission. The rides and arcade games are only open on the weekends that time of year. If you are looking for a beach, Natural Bridges is only a mile or two away and much more impressive and enjoyable. The Santa Cruz wharf adjacent to the Boardwalk is worth a stop for lunch. Try Gilda's for good basic food, reasonable prices, and great views.

2) The best and easiest places to see the redwoods are not directly adjacent to the beach. Your best options are Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park going in at the main entrance off highway 9 just south of Felton (paid admission) or the campus of the University of California.
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
I agree with others that a better plan is to take 1 or 2 days from your LA week and make your drive down Highway 1 slower. Spend more time in and around Monterey. Perhaps visit the aquarium, or take the 17-mile scenic drive. Visit toney Carmel, where actor/director Clint Eastwood was mayor a few years back and the art galleries and shops make for interesting, albeit expensive, shopping or just great window gazing. The centuries-old mission at Carmel makes for a great visit. A few minutes south of Carmel is the California State Park at Point Lobos. Point Lobos has an entry fee but offers the best scenery and picnic areas on the coast. You could easily enjoy 2 nights in Monterey.

Yes, Monterey, Big Sur and Hearst Castle (actually located at San Simeon) are right on Highway 1 - also known as the Pacific Coast Highway or PCH. I would recommend driving slow and stopping often to get out of the car and enjoy the views or other attractions between Monterey and San Simeon - easily an all-day adventure. There are quirky little shops and restaurants all through Big Sur and many spots to stop and enjoy world-class viewpoints. If you are into hiking, Big Sur has great short to medium trails. Once you descend back down to sea level from Big Sur, the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery makes a good stop.

The various tours of Hearst Castle take several hours each. You will have to park in the parking lot at the bottom of the hill, buy tour tickets and take the shuttle bus up to the castle for the tour. You can reserve advance tickets on-line and I recommend that as the tours are very popular and often sell out. I'd suggest spending the night in San Simeon, Cambria or Morro Bay and taking the tour in the morning instead of rushing through the best scenery on the west coast in order to make it for a late afternoon tour. After a morning tour, you could easily drive to San Luis Obispo (away from the shore by a few miles), Pismo Beach, Avila Beach or Santa Barbara (all located right on the coast.) Avila is my favorite spot to stay but all have their charms. Santa Barbara is beautiful but pricey.

http://hearstcastle.org/tour-hearst-castle/daily-tours/

If you decide to get away from the coast for a night in San Luis Obispo, Atascadero or Paso Robles, there are wine tours and tastings all over the nearby hills. Hotels will have information or use the county map: http://www.slowine.com/taste/.

Please slow down and enjoy our Pacific Coast instead of driving fast just to cover the miles without stops or enjoyment. One or two less days in smoggy, crowded LA would allow you to better enjoy the cream of your trip on the coast.
i think i deduct 1 day from LA and stay in highway1 for 3 days.

about the 17 miles drive in Monterey, where are those miles located?

when you say "There are quirky little shops and restaurants all through Big Sur and many spots to stop and enjoy world-class viewpoint" are these restaurants on the highway1 or i should go to another road inside big sur?
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
A few comments about Santa Cruz.

1) The Boardwalk is basically an amusement park with free admission. The rides and arcade games are only open on the weekends that time of year. If you are looking for a beach, Natural Bridges is only a mile or two away and much more impressive and enjoyable. The Santa Cruz wharf adjacent to the Boardwalk is worth a stop for lunch. Try Gilda's for good basic food, reasonable prices, and great views.

2) The best and easiest places to see the redwoods are not directly adjacent to the beach. Your best options are Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park going in at the main entrance off highway 9 just south of Felton (paid admission) or the campus of the University of California.
will consider those tips in my santa cruz visit .. thanx allot
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when you say "There are quirky little shops and restaurants all through Big Sur and many spots to stop and enjoy world-class viewpoint" are these restaurants on the highway1 or i should go to another road inside big sur?
Look at a map- there is not much in Big Sur that isn't on the highway.
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus

You can find the answers to these questions and a lot of other useful informaiton in the thread that I linked in post #3.
Old Jul 23, 15, 5:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt

Monterey is out on a peninsula. The 17-mile drive is right along the seashore through that area out on the point. It runs along the ocean between Monterey and Carmel and among some famous locations like Pebble Beach Golf Course, the Lone Cypress viewpoint and many others. Any map of the Monterey area will show the two entrances to the drive (there is a fee to enter and they give you a map and brochure.) If you don't get or download one before arriving, any convenience store in Monterey will have maps and most hotels will give you one for free.

Unless you leave the highway to visit camping or hiking areas, virtually everything in Big Sur is right on or just off Highway 1. If you just follow the highway, it will take you up into the mountains and trees overlooking the sea. Restaurants and shops are in the tiny village of Big Sur, again right along the highway. Good scenic viewpoints are signed along the highway as well. A good tourist guide to the California Central Coast would help a lot. There are many, some available in Kindle format. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lifornia+coast

I second the suggestion to read the old thread referenced above.

Taken this February at Lone Cypress Point, 17-Mile Drive, Monterey.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 23, 15 at 5:46 pm
Old Jul 24, 15, 4:12 am
Original Poster

ok. i got the picture, i think its better to stay in Monterey for 1 or 2 days to cover in and around it, then continue driving till bug sur..

i think if i will stay in Monterey for 2 days i have to see:
17 miles drive
Carmel
Point lobo
maybe have a walk in the fishermen s wharf!!

any more things to do or special food places. plz note that we dont drink alcohol !

Last edited by jdmlove; Jul 24, 15 at 5:16 am
Old Jul 24, 15, 5:02 am
Original Poster

i just saw some photos of Carmrel and wow very nice things to see and walk around.

Search this Thread