Reload this Page >

Disney on a Budget

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disney on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:24 pm

IMO, staying on site at a Disney resort is much better than being off site. I've done both; my family went to Disney every year when I was a kid, they still go and I usually fly down for a few days and spend some time with my parents and younger siblings. There is no need to rent a car, Disney has complimentary transportation to and from the airport and between your hotel and the parks. I'd also recommend looking into Disney's Port Orleans resort, it's a little more expensive than music/pop century but it's more spacious and an overall nicer resort IMO. Also, there is a lot to do around Disney without visiting all the parks, we usually do parks every other day and take a day in between to just sit by the pool and relax. Depending on your kid's ages, some of the parks may not appeal to them as much and you wont spend a whole day there. You may want to consider using park hopper passes and doing two parks in a day.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by UncleDude
And I only worked at WDW for 27 years, still have a home within the sound of The Fireworks down 535 near Windermere. But guess somebody from SRQ knows better. Next you will be telling me you can rent a car at MCO for $20 all inclusive and Park Free at The Magic Kingdom.

The 2 Ferry Boats work on a 15 Minute off peak Cycle and take 9 minutes so that alone could be 24 Minutes. The walk from Thunder Mountain is at least 10 minutes. Then there is the walk from Ferry Boat, even if you are first off thats 3 minutes to the Tram, 5 minutes to load up, then possibly 3 stops before your selected Car Park area. And SRQ managed that into car and to LBV under 30 minutes. The Monorails can be faster but depends on timing and whether they are on Non-Stop to TandTC or via Hotels, but average is 12 minutes including loading and unloading.
I'm talking monorails. If you have to wait, it's maybe 40 minutes instead of 30. I just did it and timed it last weekend. And yes, we do park free because we have annual passes.

Regardless, since the comparable Disney resorts cost $100 or more per night more than LBV hotels, a $30-$40 rental car and $11 parking fee is still cheaper.

Waiting for the Disney buses is miserable, and they take as long or longer to get to the resorts in my experience, and they're massively overcrowded early and late in the day.

At fireworks time, it will take longer, but the same can be said for the overcorwded buses.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:29 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Definately stay on property if you want to save. Not only do you get complimentary transportation to and from the airport but you get it throughout the resort area. Most I ever had to wait for a bus, monorail or boat was about 10 min and the wait is more than bearable.

As for other tips on saving, all the rooms come with a coffee maker, I bought some instant oatmeal, put it in a cup and used the hot water from the coffee maker. Most of the rooms even come with a mini-fridge and I used that to hold a loaf of bread, some cheese and lunch meats which I used for lunches - had no issues with taking them into the parks. I also had a camel pack hydration pack with me, I found there are numerous spots to refill these throughout the parks as well.

The only time I bought food in the parks was for dinners and I had planned for that as I wanted my money to go for the more memorable meals.

I ended up spending a week staying at Port Orleans and it only cost me $500 for everything - food, hotel and whatnot.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:08 am

The previous posters have pretty much covered everything. The Disney hotels offer a meal plan which may not be much of a savings but the price is fixed and you can plan ahead. Depending on when you go the meal plan is sometimes included at no cost with your room.

Also, if you or someone in your family is in the military or Government this is a HUGE savings. I would look into seeing if someone who belongs to one of these groups could by the tickets for you before the trip.

Finally, you could go the timeshare route. Annoying but a cost savings none the less. I personally don't think it's worth the time but to each his own.

Happy trails!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, NW SE
There's a great series about Disney on a budget with kids at a blog I read.

Disney on a Family Budget
Stopping the Gimmiees
Eleven Random Hints and Tips
Wrapping it Up

The lady has 7 kids between the ages of baby and 11. She seems to know what she's talking about.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:44 pm

Also forgot to add, if you have a relative that works for an airline they get 50% off the WDW Resort Hotels; except for the Swan and Dolphin. That right there is a big help in cutting costs!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: Independent
And if you have a relative who works for Disney they can get you in for free.

Marry Wisely.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship

Marry Wisely.
Doesn't even have to be a relative, I have a few fraternity brothers that work there that have let me use their passes.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Specialize in Disneyworld and Disneyland
Unfortunately now it's only 40 percent off for airline employees now, but I get about 75 percent off my rooms now anyway. Also found a way to get less expensive tickets to the park.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Originally Posted by UncleDude
And I only worked at WDW for 27 years, still have a home within the sound of The Fireworks down 535 near Windermere. But guess somebody from SRQ knows better. Next you will be telling me you can rent a car at MCO for $20 all inclusive and Park Free at The Magic Kingdom.
Yes, you can rent a car from Thrifty at MCO for $124.22 a week all in, that's just $17.75 a day. Sample dates Sat 4/12-19.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:12 am

Talking Disney on the cheap

Originally Posted by Cloudship

Marry Wisely.
ROFL.

Or go on your birthday next year... See my Disney Rental blog
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Disney is running a special for the first half of 2009: stay 4 nights, get 3 hotel nights free. You can get the details at www.mousesavers.com

As for tickets, there are some good deals on eBay right now with the Microsoft Cashback rebate. However, most of the tickets on eBay are complimentary tickets, not ones offered to the general public. I don't know if that would be a problem or not.

I usually stay onsite, but get a rental car anyway. I generally stay in a Disney Vacation Club suite (this is Disney's version of a timeshare) and they have kitchens, so I cook some of my own meals. The last time I rented a car at MCO, it was $97 for 6 days.

There are some ways to get BIG discounts on Disney Vacation Club suites -- anyone who is interested can PM/email me for details. They still generally cost more than a Disney Value resort, though.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs. Alliance
There's a great series about Disney on a budget with kids at a blog I read.

Disney on a Family Budget
Stopping the Gimmiees
Eleven Random Hints and Tips
Wrapping it Up

The lady has 7 kids between the ages of baby and 11. She seems to know what she's talking about.

All of these links open to a blank page for me.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:43 pm
DH

Originally Posted by JudyS
Disney is running a special for the first half of 2009: stay 4 nights, get 3 hotel nights free. You can get the details at www.mousesavers.com
Here's the direct link -
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ferPage&bhcp=1
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: none
I also think most people feel you don't save any time or money staying at the Disney budget hotels and they just aren't very good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.