Favorite budget travel items?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
I spent 9 years traveling almost weekly. Before I started, I'd worried about exposure to all the germ populations in planes and hotels.

As it turns out, I was never sick. My theory - I got exposed to so much I built up immunities to everything.

Those dirty socks must have been just the ticket....

Romelle
That's hilarious.

Here's an awesome idea from NYT for a mobile spice rack...spice stack! Depending on where you travel, this may or may not be an essential item to pack!

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...t-guide-5.html
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by aerodrome
That's hilarious.

Here's an awesome idea from NYT for a mobile spice rack...spice stack! Depending on where you travel, this may or may not be an essential item to pack!

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...t-guide-5.html
Handy for me, I take my own spice blends camping so I can cook on the fire, great to have a nice spicy curry in the middle of a national park
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Handy for me, I take my own spice blends camping so I can cook on the fire, great to have a nice spicy curry in the middle of a national park
This looks simple enough to make for your own blends. You can probably find similar storage tubes at a bead shop or the dollar store.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:38 am

tic tac containers work great to hold spices
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by KM123
tic tac containers work great to hold spices
Ahaha. That's brilliant! Too bad I don't eat tic tacs anymore.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
I've met more random people outside the US by always carrying a lighter and the last two years an electronic cigarette- everyone wants to see it and try one. Also, always carry a cheap DC 9 volt car charger for iphone to use in cars, cabs, buses, planes, etc.

Also- don't know how well known it is, as I have lots of friends that travel and were unaware, AT&T is now unlocking iPhones and other locked devices by request. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/cli...msAndCondition Once you get to your location you can just pick up a cheap local SIM card.

No foreign fee credit card.

Powdered Gatorade mix

Last edited by l3arefoot; Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:26 pm

A couple of things that have been lifesavers for me on the road:

--Unlocked cell phone. Preferably GSM and quadband. Helps when I've just arrived and lost while trying to find my hostel. I can call for directions. If I have a friend who's living in the city I'm visiting, then a cell phone is a must-have for arranging to meet up. SIM cards are cheap and easy.

--A good keychain flashlight. No need to bring a full-sized flashlight unless you're going camping/hiking. I use a small flashlight since I can keep it in my pocket at all times.

Many uses: reading a map at night to find my hostel; see the drinks menu in a darkened bar/nightclub; get in and out of hostel rooms when everyone else is asleep and you don't want to turn on the room light.

--A pen, because no one has one when you need one.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aerodrome
This looks simple enough to make for your own blends. You can probably find similar storage tubes at a bead shop or the dollar store.
I used to use film canisters to hold various heres and theres.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I've got three new budget travel essentials:

1- A usb and power splitter. The Monster Outlets to Go 300 for Laptops is great it has 3 US style plugs and 2 USB plugs. Toss the correct country specific plug adapter and you can charge everything you can bring along with just this one plug! It's slimmed down my power devices from 2 USB chargers and 3-4 plug converters to just this thing and one converter. Unlike some of the other ones, this one does 120-220V. Wonderful!

2- An extension cord. Why did I never think of this before!? You know how plugs are always in terrible locations. Stick the plug-converter on it and then you have nice US style plugs exactly where you want them.

3- External Batteries. USB batteries are great for long flights and bus rides and train rides. Since I try to have everything on USB charging now (except for my iOS stuff sadly, requires yet another cord), nothing can ever run out of power. I travel with at least two batteries. This Anker Astro is kind of the sweet spot between cost and performance, with 10000mAh (5'ish iphone charges). Go for one with two USB ports for sure.

I don't know how traveling with $2000 of electronics anymore means we are budget travelers. Just Backpackers.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:33 pm

Email passports to you and a few relatives

As the title says....My travel tip is to email full copies of your passport (and anyone you're travelling with) to you and a few family members. I read that if it's lost, it speeds the process. You only have to do it once.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Delta
International Travel News magazine

Google for magazines email address or 800# and request free sample copy.
As good as flyer talk.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by l3arefoot
Also- don't know how well known it is, as I have lots of friends that travel and were unaware, AT&T is now unlocking iPhones and other locked devices by request. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/cli...msAndCondition
Did not know this... THANKS!!!! ^^^

To add to the thread, I got a USB power bank/battery as a trade show giveaway. It's on the low end but so handy. I picked a couple more off ebay for about $5 each. They're about the size of a lighter and enough to repower a phone twice.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:16 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I always carry a pack of plastic spoons with me (a metal one would do just as well, unless you meet someone along the way). They don't sound off airport klaxons, also when you've done take-out and forgot to take utensils, they're quite practical.
Disclaimer: I rarely take-out noodles...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:45 am

Individual condiment packets

Crushed red pepper or garlic from pizza places or mini hot sauces can make economy airplane food more bearable
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:43 am
sfx

JVC noise cancelling headphones for only £25 - been using them for two years, great for crying babies and reducing the ambient noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.