Favorite budget travel items?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
The zip-locks start out in my air carry-on. Airline meals usually contain way too much food for me for one meal. Anything that will survive a few hours outside a fridge can go in the zip-lock. Those nice little well-packaged items first - crackers, cheese, brownie, etc. Definitely the banana. Might toss in any needed plastic utensil. It is usually my first meal at the new location.
My kids are nibblers. They can't eat 3 meals a day. They'd rather have 5-6 mini meals, so we always have them grab a banana or apple to take back to the hotel room when we're at a breakfast buffet. They aren't eating more than anyone else overall, so I don't feel guilty, but it helps to eliminate some extra costs.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You are obviously NOT flying United .....
Delta international, an occasional lucky upgrade on US domestic. Chronic dieting attempt. Ordinary little-old-lady size. All makes for too much food for me (at least on Delta).

If I ever see a Flyertalk luggage tag, I'll share. I stash the food for later at least partly because I hate to see it thrown away.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

If I ever see a Flyertalk luggage tag, I'll share. I stash the food for later at least partly because I hate to see it thrown away.
Our paths will probably never cross by accident, though I suppose you never know .....

Waiting for a bus at SJU a fellow FlyerTalker said hello and we talked when he saw my FlyerTalk yellow luggage tag (he didn't have one).

He was on a DL mileage run

Yes, a few years back before the programs were gutted and mileage runs made sense. The next time I arrived at SJU I never left the airport and flew back on the same plane

Now with an occasional u/g, yes FC can have too much food.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
I never heard of these luggage tags, could you give me some info, please? Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ltfly
I never heard of these luggage tags, could you give me some info, please? Thanks!

FT store

I don't leave home without it. OK, when traveling
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by EmailKid

FT store

I don't leave home without it. OK, when traveling
Thank you! I wasn't aware an FT store existed! ^
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Ziploc bags.
foam earplugs
plastic hangers
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:41 am

Inflatable Travel Pillow
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
I have been off and on with FT for a couple years. More on than off lately. Looking back at this post started 14 years ago.

I've come back to look at what items are useful now. Man things have changed since 2006. Great updates. Keep them coming.

My new contribution. A real book, usually from the library. Electronics are nice, Netflix etc. But a good book and noise cancelling headphones are where its at.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by grbflyer
I have been off and on with FT for a couple years. More on than off lately. Looking back at this post started 14 years ago.

Nice to see you come back to Budget Travel ^

Stick around, it's been kind of slow on this forum, maybe help pick up.

Oddly enough, on my last trip I actually included a book for the first time in ages
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by grbflyer

I've come back to look at what items are useful now. Man things have changed since 2006. Great updates. Keep them coming.

My new contribution. A real book, usually from the library. Electronics are nice, Netflix etc. But a good book and noise cancelling headphones are where its at.
Totally agree on the real book. But my version is sometimes a book I've bought and sometimes a book I picked up at an estate sale. Then when I've read it, I contribute it to the little library of a hotel, Airbnb, or hostel along along my way.

I've found that even when hotels don't actually have a shelf of free books tucked away somewhere, the desk staff will often gleefully accept one for personal consumption or for a friend. I simply ask if they have a place for a free book. The hand reaching out and the smile tells me what I need to know. If the expression seems to indicate I'd be presenting them with a problem, I just politely say I'll keep looking for a place that needs/wants the book.
grbflyer and gretchendz like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:34 pm

I don't play video games personally, so I'm not sure exactly what all equipment the kids end up bringing, but most libraries offer free video game rentals nowadays even for the Switch. The kids usually pack that up in their carry-on and hubs brings some kind of Roku thing so that we can watch Netflix in the evenings vs renting a movie from the hotel. He will also sometimes pack an HDMI cable with his laptop so that we can stream those onto the TV.

This part isn't technically a budget item, but if you're traveling around the States and have a library or museum membership be sure to check to see if they have any sister properties that you can use your membership at. Many libraries have free zoo and museum passes. IIRC national parks are the same way. Same with Children's museums and Science museums where your membership in one state will work there for free.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:24 am

Likewise you can load up your Kindle with free ebooks if you have a library card. Do it online, too. No returning the books, they just drop off after two weeks. At least, two weeks is how long it lasts at my local library.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:43 pm

I would say the portable charger is critical for us. You never know when you won't be able to get a decent spot to plug in at the airport. I know some airlines also providing charging at the seat but its never a guarantee that its going to work correctly.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by emsuperhero
I would say the portable charger is critical for us. You never know when you won't be able to get a decent spot to plug in at the airport. I know some airlines also providing charging at the seat but its never a guarantee that its going to work correctly.
I find many USB outlets and AC outlets with multi plug receptacle to be very loose and worse if they are mounted between and under the seats facing a downward angle. Last time I tried using UK plug and appropriate adapters which held in the best due to the thick prongs. More things to carry though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.