Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Question Taipei HELP!!!!!

Hey everyone,,

I'm going to Taipei for a 4 day weekend, and would like to see and do as much as possible.. I'm big on nightlife/clubs/partying so I'm interested in which clubs are the most popular..? Also, I'm a cheapskate and all I need is a bed, nothing fancy.. Though I want my privacy so I'm not sure if the "Hostel" would be very good for me... And what would be the best way to get from Taipei International Airport to downtown..

Quick run down of everything,,,

*** Popular clubs/discos in Taipei,, club street? club/nightlife district?
*** Cheap hotels?
*** Touristy sites/attractions?
*** Best way to travel from airport to downtown, and back..?

Thanks a lot everyone, any help would be awesome! ^
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk Brandonsc_85!

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions on Taipei. But your question does seem to straddle two forums.

This is certainly the correct place to post a question regarding low priced accommodation.

However, the other questions would probably be answered better in the Asia forum (there are a few FTers who regularly contribute who are based in Taiwan.)

Hopefully, a quick search there will provide some help:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...archid=1061454

Have a great trip, and make sure you try lots of teas there!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I'm not up on the nightlife or hotels. Google searches ought to be useful for both. There's no nightlife district as such, thought. There are clubs scattered about. The "eastern district" is pretty lively but its mostly restaurants and shopping.

The airport-downtown trip is a bit of a schlep. There are various kinds of buses for NT$100-140, which is reasonable. One leaves for the Taipei RR station, where you can switch to city buses and 2 lines of the subway. Several others make 3-4 stops in different parts of the city. Once you know you hotel, you can decide on your bus (the hotel can probably tell you). Once you are in the city, taxis are a reasonable way to get around to many places, but you need to speak Chinese or have the hotel write down where you are going.

Of the touristy things to do, the National Palace Museum is required viewing. Try to go as early as possible and on a weekday. Temples are fun to visit--both local temples and the big ones like Longsi (Lung-ssu), Xinggong (Hsing-kung); also Baoan gong (Pao-an kung) is next to the Confucius temple. Some other museums are interesting, like the contemporary art museum. All these things are in the regular guidebooks.

Also, you need to visit a night market or 2. Your hotel can tell you nearest one. In general, eat at a variety of small restaurants (they'll be cheap); night markets are for eating too. ....And as in any city, just walk around (Taipei is a relatively safe city though of course the usual cautions apply). If you are a night person, there are a number of 24 hour restaurants (Fuxing South Road just south of the Howard Plaza Hotel is famous for them); also 24h bookstores like the Eslite (Chengpin) on Dunhua South Rd. Good for people-watching.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: PC
I was there last month...in terms of touristy things, I'd also recommend the Chiang Kai Shek memorial (very nice square they have there) and of course the Taipei 101 (not everyday you can visit the tallest building in the world, no?).

Word of caution about going to/from the airport: traffic SUCKS, I'd leave at least 3.5 hours before the plane is supposed to leave, I spent 2 hours in traffic both times.

Overall, it's a very civilized place to visit, though not exactly touristy...oh, and it's also good for computer goods purchases, prices (for Taiwanese stuff) are at a lower level than anywhere else I've seen in Asia.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
If you want a cheap hotel, you probably aren't going to find information on them in English. Honestly, the cheapest hotels I've found are the "business" hotels- just ignore the hourly rates. My college supervisor from the US stayed in one of these several times and was very comfortable. That one ran $30-40 a night. But, as they are generally only geared toward the Taiwanese, you might have trouble finding one online/from the US.

The YMCA is also very nice, and fairly modest- that's maybe $60 a night, but it's right across from the train station, so the location is good, and you can't beat the price in downtown Taipei. They also will not rent to two unmarried people of different genders (in the same room), or so I've heard. You can make reservations here http://www.ymcataipei.org.tw/ (you may have to email them to make the reservations, but I have done it)

As for places to visit, everyone's been pretty much right on so far. I can't help you out with the party scene, but I do know that it exists. Also, if you get information online, be sure to call or otherwise check it out before going- the one time that we tried to go to a club, it had moved or gone out of business since information was posted!! You don't sound much like one for nature, but if you want a cool outdoor experience, head up to Yamingshan, a national park north of the city. Bus 260 will take you there from the bus station on the north side of the train station.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Ah awesome guys, thanks a lot for everything... I've done so many searches throughout Google, Dogpile, Yahoo Search.. Every freakin search engine known to man, and found little about nightlife.. I found one site, but they're down right now so that doesn't help me much haha... I've heard the locals speak English pretty well? Also another thing I've heard is that there are a TON of foreigners in Taipei..? Not sure if those facts are realiable or not..
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Try booking a room at Jian Tan in the Shi Ling district(dunno about the spelling). It is right next to Jian Tan MRT station, shi ling night market, and most cabs know where it is. For clubbing try Plush, Room 18, Luxy, and there are a few others, but I can't remember right now. PM me and I'll try to remember the others.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Brandonsc_85
... I've heard the locals speak English pretty well? Also another thing I've heard is that there are a TON of foreigners in Taipei..?..
I work with a guy from Taiwan, and from what he says, not that many people speak English. That said, I'm sure you will find enough of them to get by (this said by someone who's never been there ).

And yes, there are Canadians and Americans there teaching English (probably other native English speakers as well), and I suspect that they will congregate in one area as foreigners are apt to do.

Of course you can always be adventurous, and do what I did on my first and only trip to SIN last May. I did a little research, but still arrived on my MR to SIN sans hotel reservation. At the airport told the cabbie (no rapid transit at 2 a.m. ) to take me to the area where inexpensive hotels were, and went to a couple of them before finding a room for the night. Kinda a challenge from a friend of mine who sometimes travels this way.

Oh, he's more adventurous than me, he's restricted to a wheelchair.

EmailKid
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emailkid
Of course you can always be adventurous, and do what I did on my first and only trip to SIN last May. I did a little research, but still arrived on my MR to SIN sans hotel reservation. At the airport told the cabbie (no rapid transit at 2 a.m. ) to take me to the area where inexpensive hotels were, and went to a couple of them before finding a room for the night. Kinda a challenge from a friend of mine who sometimes travels this way.

EmailKid

Ah haha, yeah that's how I normally find a place... Just try to find some general locations where to go and just wander around until I stumble on something that's cheap.. I got .....ed at in Thailand for doing that because I didn't know the hotel I was staying at or an address haha.. Whoops...
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Wink Come to think of it ....

Originally Posted by Brandonsc_85
Ah haha, yeah that's how I normally find a place......
First time in Costa Rica, Honduras, Colombia, Rio de Janiero, Singapore (2 a.m. arrival time) ..... others too, but it's late, I have to go to work tomorrow

OTOH, work is how I pay for my travels .... and show up in unfamiliar places without reservations

Let's face it, TRUE Budget Travel is done sin reservations

EmailKid
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by emailkid
I work with a guy from Taiwan, and from what he says, not that many people speak English. That said, I'm sure you will find enough of them to get by (this said by someone who's never been there ).

YOU MUST BE JOKING - ITS THE 2ND LANGUAGE ^

And yes, there are Canadians and Americans there teaching English (probably other native English speakers as well), and I suspect that they will congregate in one area as foreigners are apt to do.

A LOT OF WHOM ARE NOW LEAVING AS THE GOVERNMENT HAS FINALLY TWIGGED TO DODGY DIPLOMAS.

EmailKid
TAIPEI IS A GREAT CITY AND IF YOU WANT SOMEWHERE THATS CHEAP AND HAS GREAT MUSIC GO TO NEW YORK NEW YORK ON NANKING RD EAST JUST DOWN FROM THE CROWNE PLAZA REBAR HOTEL, FOOD AND DRINK AND OFTEN GREAT LIVE BANDS, JUST CALL THEM TO CHECK WHICH NIGHTS IS LIVE.

Live Music
Do you want to feel the energy that only live performances can generate? Then don't miss Underworld (45, ShihDa Rd., B1, Taipei; Tel: 02-2369-0103). Famous names and newcomers play here for a musical surprise every week. The interior design is pretty standard which is okay. It's not over the top, so nothing gets in the way of the music. Zeitgeist (122, ZhongXiao [ChungHsiao] East Rd., section 2, B1, Taipei; Tel: 02-2394-3004) is larger with great acoustics, plus, there's no restriction on age. Inside Zeitgeist is the Bunny Record Shop, which sells independent and import labels. Riverside (2, Lane 244, Roosevelt Rd., section 3, B1; Taipei. Tel: 02-2368-7310) offers live rock and jazz. You'll find easy listening, unplugged bands and solo performers at Witch House (7, Lane 56, XinSheng [HsinSheng]South Rd., section 3, Taipei; Tel: 02-2362-5494) and Peshawar (3, Lane 80, ShihDa Rd., Taipei; Tel: 02-2362-2218).

ALSO (BROWN SUGAR IS GOOD ALSO AND CLOSE TO NEW YORK NEW YORK )

CHECK HERE http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/whats...son.htm#weekly
---- Weekly Events & Specials ----

MONDAYS
CITIZEN CAIN | 2 for NT$ 299 Pizza or Pasta and NT$ 99 Margaritas
RIVERSIDE | Open Jam night, no cover charge.
XANADU | Surprise Band

TUESDAYS
CITIZEN CAIN | The Best Wings in Town 50 Wings and a Pitcher for NT$ 750
THE LIVING ROOM | Fresh College Bands. Upcoming new bands at the Living Room !
XANADU | B.B.C; band.

WEDNESDAYS
BLISS | Dave Foster live at 10 pm. Cover NT$100.
BROWN SUGAR | Live Performances by Latin band La Rumba
CAPONES | Al's Night from 10pm, free Moet Chandon Champagne for the ladies. Two live bands till 2am.
CARNEGIES | Ladies Night, free unlimited champagne for women after 9pm.
CITIZEN CAIN | Fusion Taco Night, Plus Turner Time: The coolest bartender in town, he'll listen to any sad story
JB'S | ELVIS to EMINEM - the GIANTS of Rock 'n Roll! 9:30 p.m., no cover charge
MoS | In Bed with Ministry Of Sound
Ladies Night, 9 pm. PriceSpecial Events Exclude, We keep the right to change the price ). Members 20% Discount. Ladies Free All Night! The special dress code: "Pajamas" dress up free for entrance
PLUSH | Ladies' Night, free entrance for all ladies.
SHANNON | Live latin music +NT$100 Margaritas and Tequila shots.
TU | Ladies Night, free entrance for all ladies.
XANADU | Jazz Night with Flying Nuts

THURSDAYS
BLISS | House band CrossRoads at 10 pm. Free champagne for the ladies until 11 pm. Cover NT$100.
BRASS MONKEY | Ladies Night. Free cocktails.
CITIZEN CAIN | Jam Night: Live music at its rawest.
COSMOPOLITAN | Lady’s Night and DJ show every Thursday – Free house cocktails from 7pm to 11pm for the ladies!! Live Music by Alicia and Victor on Fridays !
THE FACE | Moving Productions presents a Thursday night party at the FACE.
THE LIVING ROOM | The Workshop: Come out and show us your "work in progress." The Workshop is a chance for all writers, actors, filmmakers, and creative types to show what you've been working on. Art films from 8pm, followed by readings, and performances.
MoS | Urban Hip Hop Night, 9 pm. PriceSpecial Events Exclude, We keep the right to change the price ) Members 20% Discount. Dress Code: Hip Hop
SHANNON | Replay band from 9.30 pm
TU | Drinking Night, come and enjoy unlimited drinks.
XANADU | Latin Night with Montunos

FRIDAYS
BLISS | Surprise act at 10 pm. Cover NT$100.
CITIZEN CAIN | DJ Alex and Friends
MoS | Vibe! Hip Hop Party, 9 pm. PriceSpecial Events Excluded, We keep the right to change the price ) Members 20% Discount. The special dress code:Ladies with "Silk & Gauze Style" dress up free for entrance
SHANNON | Rubber band NT$250 entry includes 1 standard drink
XANADU | The Smooth

SATURDAYS
CAPONES | Live bands.
CITIZEN CAIN | NT$500 All you can drink Carlsberg, Plus Burger Heaven: Burgers from around the world. DJ Shep Dawg and Friends Rock the House
MoS | The Circus, 9 pm. Price Special Events Excluded, We keep the right to change the price ) Members 20% Discount. The special dress code: The "animal pattern" dress up free for entrance
SHANNON | Ladder band NT$250 entry includes 1 standard drink.
XANADU | Jazz Night.

SUNDAYS
BROWN SUGAR | Sunday Salsa.

(TOP)
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:30 am

Taipei Disco

I believe the top floor of the Living Mall has a couple of discos/bars next to each other so that you can actually bar hop within the mall. Plus it's a pretty cool mall just to visit anyways.

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.