Wiki Posts
Search

cheap one-way from australia to asia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

cheap one-way from australia to asia?

hi everyone,
i just wanted to see if you had any advice on searching for a cheap flight from australia to asia--i can leave from sydney, melbourne, brisbane or darwin and would prefer to arrive in bangkok, kuala lumpur, some where in japan or in china (i love having a flexible schedule!).

the cheapest thing i saw was to find my way to darwin and take a tiger airways flight to singapore and then connect from there...but i just wanted to see if you had any other ideas? would any of you know any good discount travel agencies in sydney or melbourne i should check out?

thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:19 am

zuji.com may be helpful
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV
Originally Posted by waxyjax
hi everyone,
i just wanted to see if you had any advice on searching for a cheap flight from australia to asia--i can leave from sydney, melbourne, brisbane or darwin and would prefer to arrive in bangkok, kuala lumpur, some where in japan or in china (i love having a flexible schedule!).

the cheapest thing i saw was to find my way to darwin and take a tiger airways flight to singapore and then connect from there...but i just wanted to see if you had any other ideas? would any of you know any good discount travel agencies in sydney or melbourne i should check out?

thanks!
Generally speaking, the east-coast cities (MEL, SYD, BNE) all cost roughly the same to get to Asia. Domestic air travel to Darwin is rarely a bargain - but definitely worth the travel experience. (the backyard I've yet to explore...)

What I have been doing is checking out fares on www.bestflights.com.au, www.travel.com.au, www.travelshop.com.au as well as the abovementioned zuji.com; next, I head to my a Flight Centre (or Student Flights - same company) and ask them to match it with a discount.

Another option is to check out the Chinatown 'cash only' (almost seems under the table) type deals, especially if you are heading China-way... and don't particularly mind which airline you fly. Can't say I've tried this approach, but I have been told it can save a bit.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
There's no doubt that the Tiger Airways flights from DRW-SIN are the cheapest way to get between Australia and Asia, especially when they have one of their regular sales on (such as at present, where you can get a one-way flight, including taxes, for about AU$150).

As previously mentioned though, the downside is that usually flights to Darwin aren't so cheap (though Virgin Blue has a sale from the East Coast to Darwin at the moment for AU$150 or so).

Otherwise to SIN or KUL from MEL or SYD you'd be looking at about AU$500 one way including taxes, generally Gulf Air or Austrian Airlines have the cheapest one ways I've seen. All the other suggestions made so far are good ones too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.