Am I crazy? Commuting to Harvard...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I crazy? Commuting to Harvard...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:30 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Buy a lounge membership? Are any of the BOS lounges open 24 hrs? That'd seem like the best bet if they are since it'd be a comfy plaec to chill/sleep and you'd be right there for your flight.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Welcome to Boston!

and yes, you are officially crazy, but not as crazy as some of us that go to that Institute of Technology down the street....

P.S. All the buildlings at MIT are open 24/7 and the student center is lively at all hours of the night (with people cramming/tooling away) and if your in desperate need of a place to crash, those couches on the 5th floor are very popular with many students...

Yup and for the most part as long as you look like a student, campus police won't bother you for sleeping there.

(I've taken far too many naps there and in 7th floor lounge of bldg 56).
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
try subletting a room

If your budget is $100 a night every week of the term, why not check out Craigslist and sublet a room? Given the student population in Boston and the fact that so many leave to study/work elsewhere, you might find a sublet situation that is within your budget.

Otherwise, I think Boston has a few hostels. I am sure they are listed on the Hosteling International website.

Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
P.S. You might be able to post something on a community board for Harvard and MIT. Others university community boards to try: Tufts, BU, Suffolk, UMass Boston, and Emerson. BC might be too far from Harvard and the airport.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:25 am
mid
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by JennyElf
Yup and for the most part as long as you look like a student, campus police won't bother you for sleeping there.

(I've taken far too many naps there and in 7th floor lounge of bldg 56).
Although I might nod off for a second or two, the primary goal for me is to be safe and unmolested during the wee hours. I've found that falling asleep does poor things for your satefy when not done behind closed doors.

That being said, it would be nice to be in a place that has lots of people and a good coffee pot or two. A bookstore would be ideal but I'd be just as happy in a restaurant or a starbucks.

I've heard that there are some good places to go at MIT, maily because they have 24-hour stuff everywhere. In particular, I hear that there is a cafe that's 24-hours.

I'm a little concerned about the distances I would need to travel to get to these places. The goal for me is to get in, set up near where my class is, then get moving to the next spot where I will hole up until it comes time to move to the airport.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bruingirl
Otherwise, I think Boston has a few hostels. I am sure they are listed on the Hosteling International website.
Good luck!

http://www.bostonhostel.org/
$31.99 weekends for members
Lots of photos on their site, too
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:59 am
mid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
http://www.bostonhostel.org/
$31.99 weekends for members
Lots of photos on their site, too
Have you ever stayed there? I've heard bad things about hostels.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mid
Have you ever stayed there? I've heard bad things about hostels.
Haven't stayed at this one. I did stay at the YHA in Seattle for the FT Do there last month and it was fine (and they had wireless). Generally, the YHA hostels are pretty clean and quiet. I've done a couple hundred hostel nights over the years and have only had a handful of bad stays. I'm in Ireland this next week and I have hostels booked every night at 4 different stops.

A couple review sites if you wanted to check:

http://www.tripadvisor.com
http://www.hostelz.com
http://www.hostelworld.com
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:09 pm

deleted
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by mid
Although I might nod off for a second or two, the primary goal for me is to be safe and unmolested during the wee hours. I've found that falling asleep does poor things for your satefy when not done behind closed doors.

That being said, it would be nice to be in a place that has lots of people and a good coffee pot or two. A bookstore would be ideal but I'd be just as happy in a restaurant or a starbucks.

I've heard that there are some good places to go at MIT, maily because they have 24-hour stuff everywhere. In particular, I hear that there is a cafe that's 24-hours.

I'm a little concerned about the distances I would need to travel to get to these places. The goal for me is to get in, set up near where my class is, then get moving to the next spot where I will hole up until it comes time to move to the airport.
The student center is almost always occupied by people weeknights during the term. The 24 hr coffeehouse shut down sometime my junior year and I'm not sure what is in that space anymore. I think the mini mart has been experiementing with being open 24 hrs during the term, they sell coffee.

I've never been molested during my naps. On the other hand, most of my naps were during the day. There's also the odd classroom that you can take over for a time during the night, but I will warn that if you are found sleeping in one, you may be asked to show an MIT ID to prove you aren't tresspassing.

MIT is about a $5-6 cab ride from Harvard Sq. or a 25 min walk, but like Mateo4321 said, I wouldn't go through Central Sq by myself at that time of night.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:09 pm
mid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JennyElf
The student center is almost always occupied by people weeknights during the term. The 24 hr coffeehouse shut down sometime my junior year and I'm not sure what is in that space anymore. I think the mini mart has been experiementing with being open 24 hrs during the term, they sell coffee.

I've never been molested during my naps. On the other hand, most of my naps were during the day. There's also the odd classroom that you can take over for a time during the night, but I will warn that if you are found sleeping in one, you may be asked to show an MIT ID to prove you aren't tresspassing.

MIT is about a $5-6 cab ride from Harvard Sq. or a 25 min walk, but like Mateo4321 said, I wouldn't go through Central Sq by myself at that time of night.
Which area is the Central Sq in? I can't seem to find it on the maps I have.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mid
Which area is the Central Sq in? I can't seem to find it on the maps I have.
Central square is down Mass Ave from Harvard Square, about halfway between Harvard Square and the Mass Ave Bridge over the river. Search for 625 Masaschusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA on your favorite mapping site.

I certainly wouldn't count on sleeping in the MIT student center. While I don't think you would actually be asked for ID, as I recall they replaced nearly all of the couches long enough for sleeping with either short, love-seat sized couches or couches with armrests between each seat. There may still be some full-lenth couches in the reading room of the 5th floor, but just going there to sleep without making any attempt to study might irk the students that are actually there trying to work. I too have only slept in the student center later at night/earlier in the morning than you are thinking (after 4am).
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:54 pm
mid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisw
Central square is down Mass Ave from Harvard Square, about halfway between Harvard Square and the Mass Ave Bridge over the river. Search for 625 Masaschusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA on your favorite mapping site.

I certainly wouldn't count on sleeping in the MIT student center. While I don't think you would actually be asked for ID, as I recall they replaced nearly all of the couches long enough for sleeping with either short, love-seat sized couches or couches with armrests between each seat. There may still be some full-lenth couches in the reading room of the 5th floor, but just going there to sleep without making any attempt to study might irk the students that are actually there trying to work. I too have only slept in the student center later at night/earlier in the morning than you are thinking (after 4am).
Looks like you and I are neighbors. I'm in Fairfax too.

Back to the thread: it is beginning to look like the airport is going to be the best place to head to after class or after dinner/drinks for the evening. All of the other alternatives have too many variables to be good options.

A taxi ride from Haaaahvaaad won't break the bank too much and the wait will be a tolerable 3 or so hours after the bars/restaurants/other stuff in Cambridge closes.

I can catch up on my reading.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:00 pm
mid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisw

Yeah. The challenge isn't so much being able to sleep but being safe at night. Sleep is a bonus.

I could stand to stay awake in any place that had a soft couch with good coffee.

Or pretty girls to talk to.

Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:32 pm
mid
Original Poster

Well all...

I'm here at Logan right now, surfing on the internet and none the worse fo the wear.

I'm actually hanging out close to Terminal B in the entrance to the corridor from Terminal B to C. There aren't any couches here but there are some comfy rocking chairs that will do the job nicely.

I actually got myself a coffee at the 24-hour Dunkins Donuts in Terminal B departures.

Without the internet and the coffee this would be much more uncomfortable. There are plenty of people here who are sleeping in the airport. I even saw one lady sleeping on a COT! She must have brought it in specifically for the trip!

Oh well. Another day.....wait, I forget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.