Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget SIM cards with data

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Budget SIM cards with data

I usually dont buy SIMs in other countries since US T-Mobile monthly plans (Magenta) has free data (2G, 128k/256) and text in over 210 countries baked in - the higher plan, (+$15) gets 2x speed international data. Not the fastest, but good enough to use google maps for directions or finding best food/coffee places (best if map is pre-downloaded but works if not), order a Grab/Uber, get email, use transit apps etc.

The above was not very reliable in the PH as it had been throughout the EU and other more developed places. However, when searching for info online about SIM cards for the Philippines, I found most advice was to pick up a Smart or Global SIM at the airport - These are ridiculously expensive (10GB/15GB P1000+ for 5/7 days & worse if you need to top up), but these are suggested in may places from an online search. What I didnt find was suggestions for the cheaper and better option that I found after being there for awhile.

So wanted to see if anyone else knows which would be the better budget travel SIMs for any location.

Philippines - GOMO. 30GB data. No expiration. P299 (~$6).
  • Can 'trade' blocks of data for voice minutes and text messages at a fair rate/exchange on their easy to use app.
  • Can have it delivered to you via Grab/GrabMart and may be able to buy it in stores - not sure as I had mine delivered.
  • It was fast and mostly reliable (which is pretty good for the PH). I think the company may be in other SEA locations or expanding into them. If they could pull this off in the US I would convert instantly and never look back.

Last edited by random.parts; Feb 24, 2022 at 1:18 pm Reason: formatting
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here (where phone/IT questions are best asked)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/
List of Prepaid SIM threads (country-specific and multi-country) But Philippines is not listed
Best SIM Card Option in Asia

Philippines may be the subforum somewhere
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Look here (where phone/IT questions are best asked)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/
List of Prepaid SIM threads (country-specific and multi-country) But Philippines is not listed
Best SIM Card Option in Asia

Philippines may be the subforum somewhere
Many of those list the same things as is recommended on blogs/TripAdvisior - "buy the SIM at the airport" and list the ones available there. Which is generally terrible advice for budget travel since anything airport is often overpriced and there may be cheaper options, like I discovered in the PH with GOMO. Was hoping the budget forum would have better recommendations since its more about maximizing value over convenience, and would probably pick up on these things better then the OPM or general traveling population that stay in all-inclusive resorts and picking up a SIM on the way to their rental SUV at the airport.

Also, not location specific, but more of a curated list of locations with little know budget SIM deals with data that are not advertised in airport terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.