Trying to organize an interesting solo trip with $2500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to organize an interesting solo trip with $2500

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I did uni dorms in Dublin. Trinity College, right smack in the city center. Worked wonderfully. The hall for breakfast was right out of Harry Potter. A college play just happened to be on. Stumbling distance from Grafton Street and Temple Bar. Book of Kells right there.

And access to cooking facilities for keeping costs down.

Definitely worth considering wherever one goes.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Another option is to buy Hilton points when they are in a 100% discount at 5 cents per point, and then book cat 1 Hilton’s around the world at 5k points per night, which comes to $25/night. If you are a Hilton member you can also do 5th night free, which brings the cost down to $20/night. If you have elite status like at least Gold that includes free breakfast. Using this system, say in the HGI in Bali, which is a 4.5 star hotel with a pool, you can do a whole month for $600.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
The Azores

Originally Posted by Catweazle
Coming from Poland, flights will be the most expensive and accomodation across many Pacific islands isn't that cheap. If the OP is interested in island adventures, I'd suggest Malta like others have suggested. Even better, the Azores are incredibly cheap, especially since RyanAir now flies there and they certainly feel 'out there'. Cheap food, cheap drinks and cheap accomodation (by Australian standards, that is).

Sao Miguel island in the Azores

Of course, if you can get a home-stay type vacation in the Pacific (anywhere, really) then you'd have an incredible holiday, and very much different to what you're used to in terms of culture, landscape, environment, cuisine etc. Safe too (unless you end up in Papua New Guinea...)

Have you ever heard of WorkAway.info? You could always spend a week or three doing some volunteering. A few hours per day at the most in return for free bed and often board (meals), with plenty of time to go exploring. I spent two weeks on a horse farm in Canada last year and had great fun.

Around the world? Sure thing, you could pick up a RTW for about $1400 in Y if you find a good deal and not too fussy about destinations. But that just doesn't leave too much for all your other necessities. Let us know what you end up doing, and do post a trip report!
I was in the Azores recently...Agree!!! Would be a great choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.