Reload this Page >

Save on Gas When You Travel - Research Gas Stations with Money-Saving Apps

Old Aug 5, 19, 9:38 pm
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice

My wife and I just took a trip to the Midwest US, and here's what we did to save a huge amount in gas. It took a little bit of time doing the research and you'll need to plan this ahead of time (you'll see why below), but the savings was 100% worth the time.

We researched ahead of time which gas stations were popular in the area we visited (for where we were traveling, Marathon, Casey's General Store, and Thorntons were all popular). Then we researched what sort of discount we could get for joining each of their gas reward programs, and we were floored to find out that Marathon offered a 40 cent per gallon discount for the first time using their reward program! So I downloaded their app, signed up for their reward program, and the rest is history, the first time I filled up the rental car I saved about 8 or 9 dollars versus what I would have paid if I had just paid the regular price. The other stores each offered a 5 cent per gallon discount, so those were somewhat-helpful also on our trip.

You can use websites like GasBuddy to find out which gas stations are popular in the area where you're staying.

I hope this tip is helpful for you!