Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Budget Travel for US citizens during the "Trump Slump": An admittedly selfish inquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Travel for US citizens during the "Trump Slump": An admittedly selfish inquiry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
Lately my international travel had been hurting a bit. While still not bad exchange rates, the US Dollar is not as strong against the AUD or EUR as it had been near the end of last year.
Maybe all the anticipatory stuff with the Fed rate hikes is already priced in. On the minus side, Cheetolini has shown great ability to create uncertainty.

Probably the exchange-rate sale of a lifetime had to be SE Asia from early 1998 to late 2001, especially the 1998-99 period. Europe was also good around then and into 2003, if memory serves.

Stuff like that doesn't last, though.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Well, it appears that the so called "Trump Slump" for US travel destinations never materialized, and so it looks like my next vacation will be in Buenos Aires (which recently waived its reciprocity entrance fee for US citizens).

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170717/politics/170719902/is-the-tourism-industry-experiencing-a-trump-bump
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by milehound

so it looks like my next vacation will be in Buenos Aires (which recently waived its reciprocity entrance fee for US citizens).
Did not know that. Thanks for heads up ^
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milehound
Well, it appears that the so called "Trump Slump" for US travel destinations never materialized, and so it looks like my next vacation will be in Buenos Aires (which recently waived its reciprocity entrance fee for US citizens).

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...g-a-trump-bump
The "Trump Slump" did materialize: US dollar crash against Euro.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
The "Trump Slump" did materialize: US dollar crash against Euro.
Which means a "Trump Jump" in visitors from the Eurozone. Good thing I prepaid next year's ski vacation in Austria when the euro was trading around 1.12 USD. And it looks like there will be even more visits to Buenos Aires next year.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
While US Citizens need a visa which isn't cheap, Russia is an amazing value right now. And flights to Moscow or St. Petersburg can be found at reasonable cost. These two cities aren't cheap but they are a great value and you can travel very cheaply by train to other interesting and historical cities that are bargain basement prices.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
While US Citizens need a visa which isn't cheap, Russia is an amazing value right now.
I would not touch Russia with a ten foot pole right now @:-) And I can read Cyrillic, still remember a smidgen of Russian, and actually understand the culture better than most. There's a reason why the flights are so cheap @:-)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I would not touch Russia with a ten foot pole right now @:-) And I can read Cyrillic, still remember a smidgen of Russian, and actually understand the culture better than most. There's a reason why the flights are so cheap @:-)
Why? I was just there for 20 days, had an awesome time. And I came in as quite a rookie. International relations don't affect the general population very much (except for the currency!). I am a US Citizen.

In my experience the places that people are irrationally avoiding are the best. Fewer tourists and better prices... and the top attractions are still the same as they always were.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by suranyi
I was looking into travel from SFO to Europe for next spring and noticed that fares seem to be a lot cheaper than usual for that time of year.
Come to think of it, I had a surprisingly easy time finding award travel to the UK for the end of October--and only ~8 weeks out too. Then again, that also seems to be pretty close to the beginning of the low season/end of the high season.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Why? I was just there for 20 days, had an awesome time. And I came in as quite a rookie. International relations don't affect the general population very much (except for the currency!). I am a US Citizen.
Glad you had a good time.

Given what is going on between US and Putin right now, I stand by my post, and would not go to this country run by a blood thirsty dictator.

Of course, YMMV.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Glad you had a good time.

Given what is going on between US and Putin right now, I stand by my post, and would not go to this country run by a blood thirsty dictator.
Of course you are free to take a political stand, personally I find travel to help me feel much better about the world instead of bitter about it. It is refreshing to find people and countries that go against stereotypes. I think that is what travel is all about.

I have visited many countries that I don't align with politically (Russia definitely being one of them), and am much better for it.

You are the moderator of this forum so what you say goes, however I think it would be a more productive discussion if we leave politics in OMNI.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
deleted
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
One of the award travel possibilities that I saw had a routing through SVO on Aeroflot. I'm not too comfortable transiting through places that would require a visa otherwise (though it probably would have worked out okay), but I can't say that politics entered into it for me.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:37 pm

Of course you are free to take a political stand, personally I find travel to help me feel much better about the world instead of bitter about it. It is refreshing to find people and countries that go against stereotypes. I think that is what travel is all about.

I have visited many countries that I don't align with politically (Russia definitely being one of them), and am much better for it.

You are the moderator of this forum so what you say goes, however I think it would be a more productive discussion if we leave politics in OMNI.
No, it's not a political stand, I consider it a safety issue.

I'm not wearing my mod hat in this thread, and I apologize if my term "blood thirsty dictator" was interpreted as political, because it was not meant that way, just a simple statement of fact (perhaps using stronger words than needed).

I would in fact love to visit Russian Federation, but am not planning it right now because I would not feel safe. Everyone has their level of comfort - at the moment I'm fine with China, Thailand and a whole lot more, but draw the line with Russia. My loss, I'm sure.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:43 pm

It's strange that you think Russia is more dangerous than even more totalitarian countries, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't know if stats back that up or not, as I haven't done the research.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.