Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Budget Travel for US citizens during the "Trump Slump": An admittedly selfish inquiry

Budget Travel for US citizens during the "Trump Slump": An admittedly selfish inquiry

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold

DISCLAIMER: This post is not about rewarding or punishing voting districts with your travel dollars, and I am aware that there are factors other than Trump that are responsible for declines in the US travel industry (e.g., the strong US dollar). This is simply about what the average American budget travelers should do when planning their next vacations, with prices being the deciding factor.

Should you take advantage of the strong US dollar and go abroad (the top choice for many penny-pinching passport holders last year), or do you visit the usually expensive parts of America now on sale because
so many foreign tourists are staying away this year? And where can you score the best deals (NYC? Miami? San Francisco?). Are Canada and Mexico still good deals, or will you have to deal with more expensive hotels this year due to increased demand by foreign tourists scared off of visiting the US? Suggestions welcome!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
But if we told each other where to go, the prices there would surge.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by milehound
or do you visit the usually expensive parts of America now on sale because so many foreign tourists are staying away this year?
Haven't seen prices come down myself. Where do you see prices coming down?

I'm off to Europe in 10 days, primarily to former Communist Block countries where things are very cheap, and with strong dollar should be even cheaper
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
New York City and Florida have reported sharp drops in foreign tourists.

Boston, on the other hand, still has the highest average hotel prices in America. I couldn't even imagine going there if I didn't have enough points for a stay. $500+/night at a Hyatt Regency?!?

Last edited by milehound; Jun 20, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:49 pm

I was looking into travel from SFO to Europe for next spring and noticed that fares seem to be a lot cheaper than usual for that time of year.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by suranyi
I was looking into travel from SFO to Europe for next spring and noticed that fares seem to be a lot cheaper than usual for that time of year.
I call that the Norwegian Shuttle effect @:-)

If it's on legacy US airlines, you may want to take a closer look. They have or are introducing Basic Economy to compete with ULLCs.

BE gets you an unassigned seat and ABSOLUTELY nothing else except a personal item (smaller than carryon).

I am most familiar with United, and if you try to purchase BE you are taken to a pop up screen where your are warned that you are trying to purchase BE fare and what is NOT included.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid

If it's on legacy US airlines, you may want to take a closer look. They have or are introducing Basic Economy to compete with ULLCs.

BE gets you an unassigned seat and ABSOLUTELY nothing else except a personal item (smaller than carryon).

I am most familiar with United, and if you try to purchase BE you are taken to a pop up screen where your are warned that you are trying to purchase BE fare and what is NOT included.
No, it's on legacy European carriers, for example KLM.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by [EmailKid
Originally Posted by suranyi
No, it's on legacy European carriers, for example KLM.
Exactly

Kind of like Southwest Airlines effect - when they enter a market, prices tend to come down. They leave, prices tend to go up.

Norwegian introduced flights from Oakland (maybe other West Coast cities) and legacy airlines don't want to lose customers, so have some low fares. Don't know about European carriers, but Big 3 in US are introducing BE fares that unbundle EVERYTHING.

No idea if this is a thing in Europe (yet).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I tend to really zig when others zag, and we've just entered a very bad period for that. It's the usual summer surge with airfares, plus the crowded airports and less-experienced travelers, and pockets of high demand if not outright gouging on car rents at some airports, and also pockets of problems with hotels (though maybe Phoenix is cheap ). The fever will break around mid-August.

So I'll work on plans for the fall slow period and save up money. If I need to do something in the meantime there's always a low-agenda near-cation (I tend to overplan and try to do too much on longer trips), and also a short DEN trip that includes seeing Beck at Red Rocks. DEN is a good example of a city seeing some nasty peak prices that'll hopefully get reasonable in September and October.

Internationally a stronger dollar beats a weaker one, but some countries like Iceland still look expensive. To get the most actual bang-for-buck and realize the most gains I think you have to choose carefully. I remember being in Indonesia when the rupiah suddenly crashed and hotels were trying to quote rates in dollars. The ATMs topped out at the rupiah equivalent of $60!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
It's a good year to visit Canada since the US $ is currently worth about $1.33 Cdn. If effect, everything's on sale. Canada's also celebrating its 150th birthday this year, so all of the national parks have free admission.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by milehound
New York City and Florida have reported sharp drops in foreign tourists.
Florida has been setting tourism records this year.

http://jacksonville.com/metro/busine...ter-visitation

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 16, 2017 at 7:13 pm Reason: Tone! FlyerTalk does not condone confrontational language.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by AutomaticQuality
Florida has been setting tourism records this year.
That could well be, but I did not find any reference to international tourists. Pretty sure I read that that sector is down across US.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:10 am

Lately my international travel had been hurting a bit. While still not bad exchange rates, the US Dollar is not as strong against the AUD or EUR as it had been near the end of last year.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
While still not bad exchange rates, the US Dollar is not as strong against the AUD or EUR as it had been near the end of last year.
But still much stronger than a couple of years ago @:-)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there a single high profile US destination that is offering unusually good deals?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.