Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Fare/Itin oddity CLT-CDG - what will AA do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG

Came across this yesterday - and even though I used to work in res for a major carrier, curious how this would be handled at the airport when i check-in...Pricing out of CLT since the AA/US merge has been comparatively high. Here is the scenario as it stands right now. try to follow:

RT fare CLT-CDG non-stop for my dates is roughly $1,300. Same days RDU-CDG is $411 (two hour drive between CLT & RDU!). The RDU-CDG is via CLT which makes this funny, because I plan on picking up a CLT-RDU for $200.

Basically now my itin becomes CLT-RDU-CLT-CDG RT for about $600...with a turnaround in RDU.

Although it's legal, feels extremely weird to be doing this...thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Nothing bad about it, perfectly fine IMHO. Book, fly, enjoy!

Originally Posted by jpschoubert
Came across this yesterday - and even though I used to work in res for a major carrier, curious how this would be handled at the airport when i check-in...Pricing out

of CLT since the AA/US merge has been comparatively high. Here is the scenario as it stands right

now. try to follow:

RT fare CLT-CDG non-stop for my dates is roughly $1,300. Same days RDU-CDG is $411 (two hour drive between CLT & RDU!). The RDU-CDG is via CLT which makes this funny, because I plan on picking up a CLT-RDU for $200.

Basically now my itin becomes CLT-RDU-CLT-CDG RT for about $600...with a turnaround in RDU.

Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not an issue booking it this way. Only issue is if you have checked bags, you wouldn't be able to check them for the full itinerary (you can't pass through the same airport), so you would need to just ask to check them in for CLT-CDG.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Not an issue booking it this way. Only issue is if you have checked bags, you wouldn't be able to check them for the full itinerary (you can't pass through the same airport), so you would need to just ask to check them in for CLT-CDG.
Thanks - makes sense - although..So you are thinking they'd technically let me fly without my checked bag on the CLT RDU CLT portion, and same on the way back...If that is the case, I'd rather deplane altogether in CLT on the return
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

I could be wrong, but unless you are able to do this on one ticket, I believe you are using Hidden City Ticketing, which of course is against Contract of Carriage.

Much safer if you could avoid AA for positioning flight @:-)

Possibly Greyhound, which would probably be cheaper.

BTW, I answered your question in the other thread, but since you started a new one, let's keep that discussion here.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

No I agree this would have to be two back to back tickets, no way they'd put this on one.

Is this technically hidden city!? Of course i might just rent/drive ow if this puts me on the naughty list w/AA. I suppose I could also buy a OW since my intention would be no checked bags and deplane past customs in CLT on the return...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Is this technically hidden city!? Of course i might just rent/drive ow if this puts me on the naughty list w/AA. I suppose I could also buy a OW since my intention would be no checked bags and deplane past customs in CLT on the return...
IMHO, CLT is the hidden city. I don't follow AA much, but judging how often this gets asked in UA forum I promise you there is a thread on hidden city ticketing in AA forum as well @:-)

If it were me, I'd fly another carrier, or if it has to be AA, don't put in your FF number. Or suck it up in a Greyhound bus the day before if you have time for it. Don't recall, but I may have flown SW sometime in my previous life. Naw, just dreamed it ....
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks EmailKid - will look for that hidden city thread, doesn't feel right, esp for us in CLT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.