Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Where to Buy Euros in the US because.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

When I arrive in Europe, it's going to be rather late.
I just want to get into a cab and GO!
So I want to get some Euro's here in the US.
I refuse to go to the exchange places at the airport.
I thought of the bank, AAA or American Express Travel Centers.
Am I missing any other choices?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH HON

You fly 8-10 hours but stopping at an ATM for 2 mins is too long?
Old May 8, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
BofA once upon a time let you order foreign currency. Not sure about anywhere else.

Why not just stop by the ATM at the airport where you arrive and take out what you will need?

The only other option stateside I can think of is having someone who has Euros in cash exchange them for you.

Where are you travelling to and from?
Old May 8, 2014, 11:46 pm

I thought most banks will order euros for you. I know TD Bank will. AAA in my area will also, but that is thru a bank also.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP also posted this in an existing thread in the DL forum.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak

I use a foreign ATM. That tends to work out at a slightly better exchange rate than Bank of America offers here in the states. Most major banks exchange foreign currency for you and will either mail it to you or you can pick it up at a branch a few days after ordering.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:52 am
sfx

Which airport do you arrive at?

Airports tend to have bank operated ATMs and offer same exchange rate as other ATMs (which is far better than in the USA). Some larger airports have bank branches.

Last edited by sfx; May 9, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old May 9, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: USAirways, AA

Wells Fargo. Free of charge if you have an account. Some branches have them right there.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I hope you'll reconsider and use an ATM at the airport. I've been to a lot of the European airports, and don't recall a line of more than a person or two. It really is usually a matter of just a few minutes.

Especially if you are like most FTers - you've somehow wangled a seat way up front, you've grabbed your carry-on, and are out way ahead of the deluge waiting for their checked luggage.

And you will get a better exchange rate.

Romelle
Old May 9, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Foreign ATMs will get you a better rate, though your bank will likely charge fees - sometimes a lot. In Indonesia, I got levied a $5 and $2 fee for a single transaction using my BOA card for about $100 withdrawal. Of course I have a nothing account with them, they wouldn't take my Chase card, where my fee would have been much less. Which is another reason why one might not want to use a foreign ATM - while Europe is better than many other places, not all ATMs will work. And if you have more than a 4 digit PIN, they usually won't work at all as many foreign banks/ATMs only accept that, and if transmitted as such, will not match.

I do know that you can order any foreign currency with Chase. I think usually if you order before noon, it's guaranteed to arrive at the branch next day - it's as much as 2 days if you do it later in the day. I needed to do that last time, though I recall the rate I got was pretty bad. Bigger/business branches may even have Euros on site to exchange, though id check with them first.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

I was just on their website today and it is still allowed. Weighing the pros/cons of this vs. airport ATM since I'll be landing in Prague rather late w/ family and don't know how receptive a 6 year old will be to looking for an ATM at that hour. BOA charges $7.50 for delivery, not sure if fee is waived for bank customers, but it's waived for transactions over $1k.

Originally Posted by Palal
BofA once upon a time let you order foreign currency. Not sure about anywhere else.

Why not just stop by the ATM at the airport where you arrive and take out what you will need?

The only other option stateside I can think of is having someone who has Euros in cash exchange them for you.

Where are you travelling to and from?
Old May 9, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by jeff191
.... landing in Prague rather late w/ family and don't know how receptive a 6 year old will be to looking for an ATM at that hour.
CLICK HERE for info on PRG ATMs.

I just looked it up. Can't speak from personal experience, but I would hope it is reliable.

Romelle
Old May 10, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jeff191
Weighing the pros/cons of this vs. airport ATM since I'll be landing in Prague rather late w/ family and don't know how receptive a 6 year old will be to looking for an ATM at that hour.
Should not be a problem, but what I did last year was to go to FOREX and exchange a very small amount of money, just enough to pay for bus/Metro.

Suspect that is not an option with 6 year old, but as pragueairport.co.uk (see bottom of this post) states, for a small hit you can easily exchange just enough money.

Originally Posted by Romelle
CLICK HERE for info on PRG ATMs.

I just looked it up. Can't speak from personal experience, but I would hope it is reliable.

Romelle
Interesting web site, though wonder why Prague Airport would have a UK domain

Originally Posted by pragueairport.co.uk
Money exchange recommendation.
TIP: If you want to exchange money at the airport change as little as possible because the Travelex airport exchange fee is quite high. Also it is not advisable to exchange money before you go to Prague due to the low trading in currency. For this reason, the buy and sell margin in currency exchange is quite high. The best option is to withdraw cash using your debit card upon arrival. We have never had a problem with any UK-issued cards.
Bolding mine.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by spachick
When I arrive in Europe, it's going to be rather late.
I just want to get into a cab and GO!
So I want to get some Euro's here in the US.
I refuse to go to the exchange places at the airport.
I thought of the bank, AAA or American Express Travel Centers.
Am I missing any other choices?
In my experience currency orders through the banks (AAA, Travelex, etc) carry pretty similarly poor rates and fees as the airport exchanges. So, I'm not sure why you'd necessarily rule that out. I've seen a few major US airports (though I can't recall where offhand) with ATMs that dispense Euros and other currencies.

Seriously though, stopping at the ATM on arrival will take you no more time than going to the restroom. Not sure why a few minutes is worth probably paying more in fees when it takes 1/3 of a day just to get there.

You don't say what airport you're arriving at. Some have ATMs in arrivals prior to customs, such that you can withdraw cash while waiting for your luggage.
Old May 10, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
BoA charges their customers, even their "important" ones, the $7.50 fee.

If you are a BoA customer, in some countries there are banks with which they have some sort of arrangement (ScotiaBank in CA, Barcley's in UK, for example) and then you don't get charged ATM fees. But you do get charged 3% for the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.