Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Renting Car in US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Hello, despite being a seasoned traveller since I was a teen and flying several times per month to various parts of the World (90% of the time within Europe) I've never actually had to rent a car before up until now, at the age of 24.

In May this year I plan to drive from Portland (Oregon) to San Francisco, planning to spend approx 1 week on the road sightseeing.

Prices seem pretty high with a one-way drop fee minimum $250 with most companies, but I've managed to find that I can reduce this by swapping cars in Crescent City (on the California border) using Hertz, which only requires a $100 one-way drop fee for the 1st section of the trip from Portland-Crescent City and then no drop fee if I pick up a 2nd car for the leg from Crescent City to San Francisco. Are there any flaws in this plan that I should be prepared for, except of course the slight hassle of the extra paperwork for an hour or so swapping cars in Crescent City?

My main question is this: Is there anything to be gained by waiting until nearer the time to confirm the rental (i.e. promotional rates/sales etc?) or is it best to secure the rental as far in advance as possible? I know most tricks in the book when it comes ot budget travel by trains/planes/hotels, but I'm afraid that I know nothing at all about the tactics that car rental companies use in order to maximise their revenue! For example I know with Ryanair that their cheapest fares tend to be approx 2 months in advance when they put everything on sale, do car companies employ similar tactics or should I just book it ASAP? I also have to pay $15 a day extra young driver's fee with Hertz too when renting in the USA, so any tactics to help bring the cost of the rental down slightly would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:03 pm

Seems April and May are the months that rental car companies re position their fleets.I believe last year Thrifty had rentals for something like $1 a day with no drop off fee.Try doing a google on re positioning rental cars and see what pops up.Also call the companies and see what they are offering
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
If flight not already booked, check potential rentals one-way going the other way; see how prices shake out. Or take amtrak train back to original destination.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

I've looked up one-way specials but can't find anything at the moment.

I don't necessarily mind the one-way fee if I have to pay it. I'm mainly concerned about when I should book - for example am I likely to get better rates if I hold on a bit longer and wait for a promotion or are the prices likely to creep up therefore better to book now?

I'm afraid flights can't be changed, I got an incredibly good fare (maybe a mistake fare, I'm not sure) from London to Vancouver and home from San Francisco 2 weeks later for £280 GBP (approx $415 USD) al taxes/fees etc included. We're taking Amtrak as far as Portland, then want to hire a car to explore the Oregon and northern California coastline.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the total price you are getting (including all taxes and surcharges)? Are you pricing this rental directly at the car rental companies' websites, or through a consolidator? Are you using any discount codes?

There are also dedicated forums here on FT for each of the major car-rental companies. You might have a look over there for some tips.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the total price you are getting (including all taxes and surcharges)? Are you pricing this rental directly at the car rental companies' websites, or through a consolidator? Are you using any discount codes?

There are also dedicated forums here on FT for each of the major car-rental companies. You might have a look over there for some tips.
I've been using Kayak to compare, the cheapest options that it brings up is Hertz bookable on ebookers.

For the cheapest Econ vehicle:

Portland - San Francisco (6 days) = $240 + $200 one-way fee = $440

Or option 2 splitting it in to 2 rentals to minimise one-way fee's:

Portland - Crescent City (4 days) = $160 + $100 one-way fee = $260,
Crescent City - San Francisco (2 days) = $80 with no one-way fee giving a grand total of $340 for doing it as 2 separate bookings.

Taking Option 2, that gives me an average daily rate of approximately $55 per day over the course of the 6 days.

(Plus I have to pay $15 extra per day on all of these rates as I'm under 25).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You should reserve a car.

You should keep checking the rates, and if they drop, change your reservation to the lower rate.

This way if the rates go up, they will honor the reservation for the lower rate, if they go down you can change it.

If you do a prepaid you can't change it and you are locked in, that's always a gamble.

Make sure you figure in any underage surcharge too, part of the expense will be because you are under 25.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: HHDIA, SPG PLAT, DLDIA

Amtraks Coast Starlight is an exceptional trip through the Cascades . Parking is impossible in SF and SF has great public transit. Have you considered trains?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Originally Posted by guv1976

I've been using Kayak to compare, the cheapest options that it brings up is Hertz bookable on ebookers.

For the cheapest Econ vehicle:

Portland - San Francisco (6 days) = $240 + $200 one-way fee = $440

Or option 2 splitting it in to 2 rentals to minimise one-way fee's:

Portland - Crescent City (4 days) = $160 + $100 one-way fee = $260,
Crescent City - San Francisco (2 days) = $80 with no one-way fee giving a grand total of $340 for doing it as 2 separate bookings.

Taking Option 2, that gives me an average daily rate of approximately $55 per day over the course of the 6 days.

(Plus I have to pay $15 extra per day on all of these rates as I'm under 25).
If you give us your pick-up and return dates, we may be able to help you find something better.

Do the rates you quoted include liability insurance, LDW, and all taxes?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, if you search the FT Hertz forum for thread titles with "young renters", you should find a dedicated thread that might help you avoid the under-25 surcharge.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:02 pm

You will also need to add on insurance - liability insurance is always included in the UK but not the US. It may be worth getting insurance from an insurer in the UK rather than from the car rental company. If you haven't already done this check more than one pick up location, and try hotwire.com.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Wow, lots of advice!

1. gonzalesflyer, interesting about the liability insurance issue. I just checked the small print on ebookers for the Hertz option from Portland - Crescent City, and it states the following:

Your price includes:
Airport Fee.
Collision Damage Waiver and theft protection with No Excess To Pay.
Liability Insurance Supplement.
Local Tax.
Third Party Liability.
Unlimited Mileage.
Vehicle Licence Fee.

Your Price Excludes:
Additional Driver.
Fuel (Must be Returned with Full Tank or a Refilling Charge will Apply).
Location Service Charge.
Neverlost GPS System.
Personal Accident Insurance.
Personal Effects Coverage.
Personal Effects Protection.

I highlighted the mention of liability insurance there. Is this not what I think it is, i.e. do I need extra?

2. Fish Creek, the Amtrak does indeed look lovely, but the purpose of the trip is to explore the Oregon/northern California coastline and I think th eonly real way to do thi sis with our own wheels. We love the idea of exploring the much quieter part of the Pacific coastline compared to the much more popular section from San Francisco to LA.

3. guv1976, we need to pick up the car on 21st May at PDX and return it to SFO on 27th May. The approximate prices mentioned above (i.e. a total of $340 for 2 separate rentals PDX-CEC and CEC-SFO does include all taxes and one-way drop fee, but not young driver surcharge)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:08 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding - looks like you do have third party liability insurance here - this isn't always included in the US.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
When you actually get the car rented and go to pick it up, a little more advice:

They almost always try "up-selling" at the counter. Bigger car, more insurance, tank full of gas, GPS, ?? Hold your ground and don't say yes to anything but what you've originally decided. Returning the car with the gas tank full is (IMHO) the best option. It is nearly impossible to return a car with an empty tank, so with that option you mostly end up giving them a bunch of gas.

When you go out to the lot to actually get the car, take time to walk all around it and inspect it for damage. Have them note any scratches, dings, etc. before you drive away. Some people even take pictures of any previous damage, just to have proof they didn't do it.

Take note of which side you fill gas before you get into the car.

And when you get in the car to drive away, take time to set the mirrors and seat to your liking, and figure out how all the buttons and knobs you will be using work. You don't want to be hunting down the headlights for the first time when screaming along a freeway.

Maybe even drive one loop around the rental area before going out on the major streets - just to get a feel for the car.

Have you looked at Hotwire and Priceline rates yet? Availability for under-25 drivers varies by location, so I don't know if either would work for your destinations. While you won't know the rental company until you complete the deal, you always get one of the majors.

Romelle
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by AllTheNines
I also have to pay $15 a day extra young driver's fee with Hertz too when renting in the USA, so any tactics to help bring the cost of the rental down slightly would be much appreciated!
I'm pretty sure you will have to pay a young driver fee no matter whom you rent from. Even if it's not explicitly mentioned when you book online, it will come up when you settle your bill on site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.