Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

After almost a year, Budget still refuses to give me miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I am currently at my wit's end.

Last February, I took part in the Budget 5k Delta Skymiles promo twice at DSM airport. I was assured by the Budget CS rep that DSM participated in this promo. (Besides, the reference coupon was accepted online w/ no problem.) 6 weeks later, my miles were still missing. I called the DSM location and was told that the miles post w/in 8-12 weeks (which suggests that they actually award miles). I waited another 6 weeks. Still no miles. Called DSM again but got nowhere. Called Budget CS. Gave my confirmation numbers. Was told someone would get back to me. A couple months later, received a letter saying that DSM was a franchise location that did not award airline miles. Called CS yet again. Here is where I really started having problems.

After looking through my case, the CS lady proactively said she would send out a $30 Budget CS voucher w/o me asking her. Yet I told her that would not be satisfactory b/c this did not equal 10000 miles (even for Delta) or $44 (how much I spent for the 2 rentals). She said that was all she could do. Hung up and called back. Got a very nice agent who apologized profusely and agreed to have a $50 voucher sent out (on top of $30 which had been sent out already). It seemed like only he (such a pity that I didn't get his name!) was willing to help me out in this whole fiasco. Thanked him and waited. A week later, received 3 $10 coupons (NOT a $30 voucher as promised) in the mail. No sign of the $50 voucher. 3 weeks pass. Thought it got lost in the mail. Called back. The agent put me on hold briefly and said he would have it sent out again. Nothing again. Called back yet again. Apparently the supervisor rejected the $50 voucher yet no one bothered to call me about it (they claim that someone called me and left a voicemail - not true, no one ever called). Spoke w/ supervisor but she claimed that her manager rejected the coupon and that there was nothing she could do about it.

I am very disappointed in the way Budget has treated me. I have not used Budget since then and has moved onto Hertz to become a 5* member w/ them.

I am just so tired of this situation that I am willing to settle this for any of the following at this point:
- 10000 Delta Skymiles
- $50 Budget voucher (NOT 5 $10 ones)
- $44 check - refund of my 2 rentals

Is there any recourse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lutz; Jan 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:51 pm

Budget and miles...

It's normal for me to always have 2 rental disputes open at any one time, over the posting of the correct number of miles with Budget. After much therapy, I now strive for a 87% recovery rate, not 100%. The "key" seems to be to get a name, a real name. Then when you call back the 2nd, third or 4th time, swirl that name around. My next therapy session is tomorrow, my latest headaches are not with Budget and Delta, but Budget and Southwest. Go figure. If I can get 87% of my miles posted, I can live with it (so says my therapist).

Originally Posted by Lutz
Sorry for the long rambling post, but I am currently at my wit's end.

Last February, I took part in the Budget 5k Delta Skymiles promo twice at DSM airport. I was assured by the Budget CS rep that DSM participated in this promo. (Besides, the reference coupon was accepted online w/ no problem.) 6 weeks later, my miles were still missing. I called the DSM location and was told that the miles post w/in 8-12 weeks (which suggests that they actually award miles). I waited another 6 weeks. Still no miles. Called DSM again but got nowhere. Called Budget CS. Gave my confirmation numbers. Was told someone would get back to me. A couple months later, received a letter saying that DSM was a franchise location that did not award airline miles. Called CS yet again. Here is where I really started having problems.

After looking through my case, the CS lady proactively said she would send out a $30 Budget CS voucher w/o me asking her. Yet I told her that would not be satisfactory b/c this did not equal 10000 miles (even for Delta) or $44 (how much I spent for the 2 rentals). She said that was all she could do. Hung up and called back. Got a very nice agent who apologized profusely and agreed to have a $50 voucher sent out (on top of $30 which had been sent out already). It seemed like only he (such a pity that I didn't get his name!) was willing to help me out in this whole fiasco. Thanked him and waited. A week later, received 3 $10 coupons (NOT a $30 voucher as promised) in the mail. No sign of the $50 voucher. 3 weeks pass. Thought it got lost in the mail. Called back. The agent put me on hold briefly and said he would have it sent out again. Nothing again. Called back yet again. Apparently the supervisor rejected the $50 voucher yet no one bothered to call me about it (they claim that someone called me and left a voicemail - not true, no one ever called). Spoke w/ supervisor but she claimed that her manager rejected the coupon and that there was nothing she could do about it.

I am very disappointed in the way Budget has treated me. I have not used Budget since then and has moved onto Hertz to become a 5* member w/ them.

I am just so tired of this situation that I am willing to settle this for any of the following at this point:
- 10000 Delta Skymiles
- $50 Budget voucher (NOT 5 $10 ones)
- $44 check - refund of my 2 rentals

Is there any recourse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Oh my... we must be seeing the same therapist.

I've used Budget for "bonus mile" rentals and each and every time I wind up chasing the miles down. They never post on their own - its feels like I have to physically cram the miles through their computer system into my Delta account. I've learned never to call them unless I'm in a really good mood, I expect the same exact answer every time I call: "I don't know why your miles didn't post...we'll have to do it manually"... and then I get to check my account every week waiting for the miles to show...they never do, I always have to call again.. its like being in some weird TZ episode. They've been renting cars and awarding miles for how many years and they still can't get it right?

As for your situation, can your credit card company help? I know its been awhile.... or, if you eally think you're in the right can you sue them for the value of the miles in small claims court?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by redreeper
I've learned never to call them unless I'm in a really good mood, I expect the same exact answer every time I call: "I don't know why your miles didn't post...we'll have to do it manually"... and then I get to check my account every week waiting for the miles to show...they never do, I always have to call again.. its like being in some weird TZ episode. They've been renting cars and awarding miles for how many years and they still can't get it right?
Note TZ = Bankrupt ATA Airlines. In this reference, I believe redreeper is referring to the Twilight Zone television series.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I was definitely referring to the Twilight Zone!

I called today to check on those 2 rentals from back in Oct. '08, one for 50+8000 bonus miles, one for 50+7500 bonus miles, it turns out "due to a computer problem" the 8k didn't post, but they fixed it, and now it should post within 60 days. Sure it will But the 7500 bonus was clearly stated for the rental of an SUV, which is clearly what I rented, yet the department that fixes problems such as these said I did not rent the proper vehicle class, the nice lady at the Budget customer service said they made a mistake and I did rent the proper vehicle class.... she will copy and paste and correct...and now here we go round again.

I was smart this time and did all the things I learned to do from FT. I made sure my FF# was on the contact, the MUA and the BCD and I was not going to walk away from the counter until I saw all three on my contract. I checked with the counter person to make sure I was renting and getting the proper car class. I also kept a record of the terms of the deal - without it, I could not have argued that I did indeed rent the proper car class as per the offer. I lost a 3k rental in Vegas because one of those 3 were not on the contract.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:44 pm

Use email, not phone

I never call; I always email. That way, there is a "paper trail" to refer to later.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:32 pm

Boy can I relate...

Like an earlier poster, I always seem to have 2 disputes going on with Budget...if the miles don't post within 10 days, I know I'm going to have a problem. They usually ignore the first inquiry, and it invariably takes 2-4 additional ones to get an adequate response. In some cases, I just give up. Lately it seems to have gotten worse...

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I never call; I always email. That way, there is a "paper trail" to refer to later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.