Wiki Posts
Search

After hours drop off? How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
After hours drop off? How does it work?

I'll be dropping off my rental car at Calgary Airport but the time I have to drop off falls out of their office hours, so I'm wondering how "after hours drop off" works?

I just park the car at some place and go? Without their agents checking my car and finalizing my bill? Is there some special requirement I have to fulfill?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:53 pm
wcj

IME, you park the car, fill out the form asking about mileage, gas etc., lock it up and put the keys in the drop box.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG: Platinum
Take lots of photos of it parked where you drop it off.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Based on what I have read in past threads, you are responsible for the car until it is checked in by Budget. So if it gets stolen or damaged after you drop it off, it is still on your dime. On the plus side, that would probably be a pretty rare occurrence. I've done after hours drop off a few times and never had a problem.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cldflyer
Good advise. I almost forgot about this. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by cldflyer
Even at this, you are responsible 'til they check it in. Avis tried to get me for a minor nick in a windshield that was on the car when I picked it up. They kept stating that I left it at their lot and it occurred after I dropped it off. I was persistent & then had my insurance co call them. They dropped it.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Be sure that you get a picture of the gas gauge if you did not buy prepaid gas.
Also when you pick up the car make sure every nick, scrape, ding etc is noted. If the car is very dirty make them clean it for inspection. Even check the roof for damage. Take a picture of any damage because they will try to charge you for damage if they can and you will not be around to protest.

Dropping off after closing is very dangerous to your credit card balance.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I ended up not using the after hours drop off. I waited until they open and did the drop off with a live agent.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darben
Be sure that you get a picture of the gas gauge if you did not buy prepaid gas.
Also when you pick up the car make sure every nick, scrape, ding etc is noted. If the car is very dirty make them clean it for inspection. Even check the roof for damage. Take a picture of any damage because they will try to charge you for damage if they can and you will not be around to protest.

Dropping off after closing is very dangerous to your credit card balance.
I always check the car carefully. But maybe I was just lucky that I never had to argue with rental companies about scratches or damages etc. I hear about horror stories often but those never happened to me.

As for some people saying if I do the after hours drop off thing, I'm still liable for damages between the time I drop off the car and the time they take the vehicle in, I'm not too worried about it, as I always have credit card insurance for that.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by roubaolic
i always check the car carefully. But maybe i was just lucky that i never had to argue with rental companies about scratches or damages etc. I hear about horror stories often but those never happened to me.

As for some people saying if i do the after hours drop off thing, i'm still liable for damages between the time i drop off the car and the time they take the vehicle in, i'm not too worried about it, as i always have credit card insurance for that.
but the gas can still bite your dupa
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darben
but the gas can still bite your dupa
That's true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.