Damage recorded when returning car

Old Aug 15, 13, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA, SPG
Damage recorded when returning car

Hello-

Just returned a car to Vegas. The check-in lady went over my car very carefully and noted 3 small dings on the "check-in slip/ready slip" and gave me a copy.

Is this standard practice or does this mean that I'm about to be charged for damages by Budget?

I covered my bases as best I could - I marked the dings on the pre-existing damage form when I picked up the car, and also took photos. But I would prefer not to get into any type of damage claim in the first place... had an experience with National a few years ago that ended up going back-and-forth for a few months and was a big pain in the rear.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 27, 13, 12:53 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Did you get asked to fill out an "accident/incident report?"

Might as well get the ball rolling with your credit card company then once you get a bill your insurance company... unless it was a business rental then maybe all you need to deal with is your credit card...
Old Aug 28, 13, 8:16 pm

Not happy with Budget. They added a $160 cleaning fee after the car was returned. Experience feels dishonest. The car may have required routine vacuuming, but that is all, and luckily I have pictures for when I dispute the charge. Anyone else have this experience? This was my first rental at Budget and likely the last.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
Not happy with Budget. They added a $160 cleaning fee after the car was returned. Experience feels dishonest. The car may have required routine vacuuming, but that is all, and luckily I have pictures for when I dispute the charge. Anyone else have this experience? This was my first rental at Budget and likely the last.
What location was this? What did they note for the reasoning for the cleaning fee (sand, mud, odor, other)? It might be more than what just a picture proves (in the event of odor), unfortunately.
Old Sep 1, 13, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
What location was this? What did they note for the reasoning for the cleaning fee (sand, mud, odor, other)? It might be more than what just a picture proves (in the event of odor), unfortunately.
This was in Ireland. The car was inspected when I brought it back and all was well. I have no info about specific complaints, and we do not smoke and did not eat in the car. I did not vacuum the car, but I think routine dirt on car mats is to be expected.
Old Sep 1, 13, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
This was in Ireland. The car was inspected when I brought it back and all was well. I have no info about specific complaints, and we do not smoke and did not eat in the car. I did not vacuum the car, but I think routine dirt on car mats is to be expected.
Ugh! Can you dispute it on your credit card? Or contact Avis and see if they'll do something. If they inspected it at the return (and you didn't smoke in it), you should be able to get that refunded.
Old Sep 1, 13, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Ugh! Can you dispute it on your credit card? Or contact Avis and see if they'll do something. If they inspected it at the return (and you didn't smoke in it), you should be able to get that refunded.
Contacted Budget after I saw the credit card statement, and I did not learn about the cleaning charge until after I inquired. I sent a response back, but did not hear again. I am working through the credit card company now. I have been lucky and have had very few issues with travel, and this is my first ever with a rental car company. I paid a very high rate for the car too.

Search this Thread