Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Additional driver policy - Does Spouse Need to be at counter at pick-up?

Old Jun 29, 13, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tourist View Post
With Avis (and Budget and Enterprise), your spouse can drive your rental car for free:

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission:

* Renter's employer (while on company business);
* Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
* Renter's spouse or life partner.

The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.

(At Hertz, the same is true for #1 Club Gold members.)

The above is for US.

I found this on the Flyertalk Avis forum from 2010 - have searched Budget, Flyertalk, the rest of the web - and called Budget. Budget's website currently indicates there is no charge for spouse as additional driver, seems very clear-cut but would really like to confirm from someone who has recent experience.

More importantly, trying to find out if both of us need to be present at Budget rental counter at pickup, or if just one of us can be there to acquire the vehicle and the other is allowed to drive it also without showing ID or whatever. I have gotten conflicting information from my phone calls to different Budget sites (local vs national numbers).

This is in Florida, specifically JAX location.

Thanks very much.
Old Jun 29, 13, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flightfulbird View Post
.... trying to find out if both of us need to be present at Budget rental counter at pickup, or if just one of us can be there to acquire the vehicle and the other is allowed to drive it also without showing ID or whatever. I have gotten conflicting information from my phone calls to different Budget sites (local vs national numbers).

This is in Florida, specifically JAX location.

Thanks very much.
103 views in eight hours - can anyone help? Surely seems like someone reading might have rented from Budget, added a spouse as additional driver, and can post a really quick comment on your experience - specifically whether both of you had to be at the counter when you picked up the vehicle and if there was a charge or not?
Old Jun 30, 13, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
All additional drivers must be at least 25 years of age. The fee for each additional driver is $13/day with a maximum charge of $65/rental. The following are exempt from the fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter's spouse or domestic partner; the companion driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; for insurance replacement rentals, company employees or family members who are designated on the insurance policy.

http://locations.budget.com/fl/jacksonville/jax.html
Old Jun 30, 13, 6:24 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately I can't answer your question specifically. The policy for Avis hasn't changed and you don't need to both be there, just the one with the rental in their name. I would think the Budget policy should be the same, but common sense isn't always used when making policy..
Old Jun 30, 13, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks sz2628, I saw this on the Budget site. IAHtraveler, I appreciate your time in replying too!

I wish I could redo the thread and the title to just ask this -

If the additional driver on a Budget rental is your spouse, do both of you have to appear at the rental counter when picking up the vehicle to show ID / ensure that you both "meet the requirements" ?

It would really help us out if only one had to be there, yet cannot take the chance on one of us not being included as driver if current experiences show that both need to be there.
Old Jun 30, 13, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'll modify the title when I'm on my laptop shortly.

Why not call Budget and ask? Should be pretty straight forward.
Old Jun 30, 13, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

That is the boggle - I did call Budget yesterday already and got different answers from three different individuals - spoke with agents at national contact number as well as at JAX. Was hoping to get an idea of what other Flyertalkers have experienced when they were picking up a rental.

I understand it is covered for sure if we just both show up at the time of rental but hoped we didn't both have to. . .we are not flying in together.

Thanks IAHtraveler for the modification, wish I had done it right the first time !
Old Jun 30, 13, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by flightfulbird View Post
That is the boggle - I did call Budget yesterday already and got different answers from three different individuals - spoke with agents at national contact number as well as at JAX. Was hoping to get an idea of what other Flyertalkers have experienced when they were picking up a rental.

I understand it is covered for sure if we just both show up at the time of rental but hoped we didn't both have to. . .we are not flying in together.

Thanks IAHtraveler for the modification, wish I had done it right the first time !
If one agent said you don't both need to go to the counter, I'd run with that (I missed that in your first post)..

For future reference, if you want to change a title/post/etc, click the red triangle under your username in the post ("Report Bad Post"). From there, you can type your reason and it will send me and/or other moderators an alert in case we don't see the post immediately.

Good luck!

Search this Thread